Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1057794)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legal Threat over Button-Williams

BAR has threatened legal action to stop Jenson Button back at Williams for next year's F1 championship.

BAR boss David Richards remained confident his team retained first rights to the services of Button.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page...5E1702,00.html
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...277578,00.html
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...277590,00.html

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 6 Aug 2004 at 04:19.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 05:17 (Ref:1057818)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Yes but the reality is that who would want him back in the team if he chose Williams who have performed worse this season, over BAR where he is number one.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 06:53 (Ref:1057842)   #3
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets face it after the season they have had I'll bet there are very few drivers on the grid who wouldn't jump at the chance to drive for BAR So if Jenson wants to go let him go I say

But I really don't understand Jensons Logic BAR are a team on the up the right people are in the right places, they have the backing of one of the most successful engine manufacturers (who seem to be getting their act together)The team were totally focused on him WHY LEAVE!!?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1057843)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going to run and run this one....
Old 6 Aug 2004, 07:16 (Ref:1057854)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89

But I really don't understand Jensons Logic BAR are a team on the up the right people are in the right places, they have the backing of one of the most successful engine manufacturers (who seem to be getting their act together)The team were totally focused on him WHY LEAVE!!?

I agree entirely.

(But what do I know........ )
Old 6 Aug 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1057875)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it seems pretty obvious...

Button was eyeing Williams all along, but something was holding him back. Than Williams announced that they are ditching the Walrus-noseconstruction of the FW26 as from immediatly, and less than an hour later, the deal was done.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 07:57 (Ref:1057876)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hear the technicality was to do with Honda's commitment. I'm not saying Honda is going to leave, rather that doubts over this have led to the ability to use the get out clause. Interesting?

It's a bit vague though so suggests that Button was looking to leave, especially as it is suggested he rang Williams! (probably more for the other thread this last comment, I'll go and make it there!)
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:27 (Ref:1057907)   #8
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Te thing about contracts is that they only work if both parties want them to - the only people that profit eventually are lawyers.

Richards must be seething though - he rescued buttons ass (and career) from bennetton and took him on in a sort of mentor capacity.

so i guess he just wants a cut of his salary!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1057925)   #9
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Afraid this goes back to the old commercial mantra that a contract is not worth the paper it's written on unless both parties want it to work.

Jenson clearly wants to return to Williams, a move I still do not wholly understand, so I believe BAR's only option is too claim compensation. The contractual detail will determine if BAR are able to claim and their option seems to be the only possible avenue, given the information to hand.

One would imagine that Jenson's advisors have studied this part of the contract very carefully before approaching Williams, so unless BAR can prove that they were mistaken in their conclusion that the option had expired then they are stuffed.

As stated previously this will run and run and make the various law firms involved small fortunes
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:57 (Ref:1057929)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've just heard the news on www.autoracing1.com
claming that he has moved but would'nt that open the door for Anthony Davidson?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 08:59 (Ref:1057932)   #11
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pitpass.com are already pondering whether he will be racing again for BAR this season. Aparently he has failed to take both DR and GW's calls for the last 24 hours. Why would he not talk to them at all unless he wanted out ASAP. Shame such a good relationship has gone very sour.

Could we see JB in a Williams in a weeks time?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:04 (Ref:1057935)   #12
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams have already used their allowable quote of (four) drivers this year...
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1057941)   #13
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point john forgot about that, guess JB could have shot himself in the foot for the rest of this season then....oops.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1057942)   #14
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It's not going to happen I tell you that now. No doubt in my mind about it, Button WILL be in a BAR in 2005.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1057952)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You wrote the contract did you skam?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1058012)   #16
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Give Skam a break, RWC. He just too shock.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1058027)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too shocked because he knows Jenson will trounce Mark!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1058035)   #18
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
BAR team principal David Richards has promised to challenge Jenson Button's move to Williams before gathering his team for a crisis meeting at their Milton Keynes headquarters.

And, more words from David Richard:

"To be treated like this is dumbfounding and I cannot believe that Jenson wants to leave. I have got 400 people in this factory who have worked their socks off night and day and then the guy who gets all the credit and drinks the champagne turns around and ditches them."

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...s&section=news

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 6 Aug 2004 at 10:41.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:44 (Ref:1058040)   #19
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Grandprix.com wrote good article abot BAR's situation. Here is:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13330.html
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1058044)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I said before, I'm shocked. Frankly, though I agree with Richard's comment quoted by Led Zepp above, I also realize that forcing Button to race at BAR in 2005 after he's made his heart known to be at Williams would benefit NO ONE.

DR had better accept the truth now and find some one to fill the very big hole left by Button's change of heart.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1058053)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
LOL @ ASCII Man, RWC, and Led ZeppF1's comments. I didn't write the contract, but it just doesn't fit in. I think I watch too many movies....

And just a quick, tongue-cheek-comment to ASCII Man's post:

Like he did to JV?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1058067)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Te thing about contracts is that they only work if both parties want them to - the only people that profit eventually are lawyers.
Problem is that most contracts contain lots of errors.
So in order to be able to work with them, both parties usually have to behave like the intended meaning of the contract rather than the contract itself.

When there's more money involved, people will try to make the contract say exactly what it is supposed to mean. And you will inevitably end up with a contract that is a lot longer than the original one, and that will in fact contain even more errors.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1058075)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
BAR team principal David Richards has promised to challenge Jenson Button's move to Williams before gathering his team for a crisis meeting at their Milton Keynes headquarters.
I would think that that "challenge" would be nothing more than trying to get some financial compensation.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1058095)   #24
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i completely understand why JB wants to be a Williams next year. They have the experience of winning drivers/constructors championships and BAR just dont. I doubt given the resouces of Ferrari, Mclaren, Williams or Renault that they ever will mount a sustained championship campaign. Thats not to say they wont ever win a race but to be the best takes more than just raw speed. Look at Renault, ran a good race at Monaco and have been nowhere pretty much since then (however i reckon they are on for a good result at Hungry). BAR havent even won a race yet and i think Button has considered how well Sato will be next year, Button doesnt have a hope of winning a championship with a honda powered car whilst there is a japanese driver on board.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1058124)   #25
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
Williams have already used their allowable quote of (four) drivers this year...
They'll claim that Marc Gene driving was a case of force majeure.