Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Nov 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1148305)   #26
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it is a two horse race between AD and NH then NH will win. It will not be tallent that wins but who is footing the bills. BMW will surely have some say in the outcome.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1148310)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
But you forget that Nick was a Mercedes driver, not BMW.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1148319)   #28
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Germany is still Germany though.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 09:58 (Ref:1148347)   #29
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations to Ant for getting himself in the frame, and good luck to him. If he gets the job it is going to be a bit of a tall order running against MW, although I'm sure he's not too worried about that himself.

As for the tests beig days apart - I assume that doesn't matter much, since the team will surely know a base-line lap time on each day, and also will have another driver woring to compare to. Also, there are other factors under scrutiny than just lap time - attitude, technical aptitude, focus and temprament are crucial too.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:01 (Ref:1148349)   #30
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rbs
Germany is still Germany though.
It just doesn't seem to follow though - are JPM and Kimi German? Schumi and RB Italian? A brand like BMW want to sell cars everywhere - from a marketing perspective it is probably better for them to have an American.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1148351)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC BMW have said that they would prefer a German driver, but they wouldn't sacrifice that for the best driver they can get.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1148362)   #32
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Anthony and Nick could both do a very good job for Williams. It'll be a shame for the one that is left without the drive, because I'm sure it'll be close.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1148367)   #33
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think both Anthony and Nick deserves a good drive to show their worth. Pardon me, but it would be pretty sad if DC got the seat and neither of these 2 promising drivers could have a shot at proving their worth.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1148392)   #34
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some would say that BMW sacrificed potential performance by having Ralf in the car for 6 years. Theoretically Nelsihno, Nico or Ho Pin Tung have more marketing potential attached to them than Heidfeld, especially as Nico is German by birth (and doesn't actually speak a word of Finnish, despite being Keke Rosberg's son).
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1148396)   #35
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally I think Ant deserves it more than Nick. Hes never had the chance to do a season, what has Nick done? 3, 4?

One thing in Davidson's favour is that hes spent all year driving a front running car with comprable performance to the Williams. It will be a massive step up for Heidfeld. on different tyres too.

However, Nick has spent all year wringing the neck of a slow car so maybe he'll be able to find more speed.

Hmmm whatever happens I think it will be close.

I also think personality and interaction with the team will come into play. I have posted before that I don't have any idea what Nick is like as a person - after years in F1! he just seems to be a bit dull which I can't see the Grove boys liking much.

finally I wonder if they run them on 04 or 05 spec? Can't see the point in running last season's stuff when they've got to be able to make these low grip and downforce beasts go fast. if it is all the new spec, again ant has tested that at BAR.

oooh I can't wait!
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1148400)   #36
Glen
Veteran

The most anyone has tried of 05 spec is a mule car adapted to simulate the effect. The teams will continue to use 04 cars as well as these intermediate cars I expect - they usually do, because data collected from a known quantity is more useful than information gathered working on a car with many unknown characteristics. Also - the driver with the most expereince of driving with less grip is NH - the Jordan being an absolute handful all year!
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1148437)   #37
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
.... a car with many unknown characteristics. Also - the driver with the most expereince of driving with less grip is NH - the Jordan being an absolute handful all year!
Good one Glen

After reading some responses i must agree with the general opinion-it would be an absolute shame if some old dunger got this seat.
AD or NH deserve it.I'd prefer Nick because he hasn't had any luck in f1 whereas anthony is definitely going to get a ride sooner or later-he can wait a little
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1148458)   #38
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be Anthony who get the chance to race. Heidfield has had his chances.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1148460)   #39
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
What I find interesting is the fact that Nick was very well thought of by Mercedes when he was their test driver a few years ago. I remember overhearing the mechanics singing his praises when he starred at the Festival of Speed that year and yet when it came to looking for a replacement for DC he wasn't in the running.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1148466)   #40
Glen
Veteran

It's curious that a driver as anonymous as NH hasn't found himself assimilated by the sterile grey corporate machine that is McLaren.

Actually, come to think of it, it's equally odd that Juan is going there - I mean, he smiles sometimes, and says real things that can be understood. No doubt they'll beat that out of him before the season starts.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1148523)   #41
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren isn't actually like you portray it, Glen.

Any driver or team member will tell you that.

They like racers - that's what Senna was, that's what Montoya is.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1148532)   #42
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Just think back to the Senna Berger days and all the high jinx that used to go on then to see what K-B means Glen.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 9 Nov 2004 at 13:57.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1148534)   #43
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The story about Ron Dennis and the chilli backs it up too!
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1148556)   #44
Glen
Veteran

Ah come off it - they aren't exactly Jordan are they?

Paragon looks like the most extreme Bond villain HQ ever - if that's a front for a down-to-earth fun loving outfit, it's an extremely thorough one.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1148563)   #45
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
back vaguely on topic f1racing.net is running a poll:

'Who has the biggst chance to race for williams next year?'

Anthony Davidson - 29% (122 Votes)

David Coulthard - 27% (113 Votes)

Nick Heidfeld - 23% (94 Votes)

Antonio Pizzonia - 21% (85 Votes)
Old 9 Nov 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1148567)   #46
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'd like to see Davidson at Williams and Coulthard at "son-of-Jaguar".
Old 9 Nov 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1148697)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see 'son-of-Jaguar' happen one way or another - right now it's far from guaranteed.

That poll sums up Williams' dilemma (great cars, them dilemmas) quite well - all four drivers are strong candidates in at least one area, but all have at least one area of risk.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 17:14 (Ref:1148710)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If son-of-jaguar doesn't happen we'll have three car teams,plenty of seats to go round then!
Old 9 Nov 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1148723)   #49
Kicking-back
Veteran

Son-of-Jaguar is more likely to happen than not, I hear.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1148743)   #50
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i hope Heidfeld get's the job!
I hope he makes a good job and get to stay at williams in 2006 too!!!! JB out....