Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1214388)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Jordan announce new driver

Jordan Grand Prix have announced that Narain Karthikeyan will be joining the team as No1 driver for the 2005 season.

Narain has in the past tested for Jordan, Minardi and Jaguar but has never had the budget to compete in F1. He makes history as India's first Formula One driver.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1214394)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good visa for F1, in the perspective of landing on India.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1214409)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Link to the story.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...27_DEL176302:1

Indian driver Narain Karthikeyan will drive for Jordan in the 2005 Formula One season after securing an offer from the team, his manager said on Tuesday.

"Narain has been offered a full drive by Jordan as their number one driver. He has accepted it," Sanjay Sharma told Reuters.

Sharma said Narain had given his confirmation to Jordan and would address a news conference in Bombay later on Tuesday.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1214425)   #4
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With all respect, if he's the first driver, imagine the second.....
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:03 (Ref:1214431)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he did have some big Indian backers... its always nice to see a country get behind SUCH TALENTED sportsmen.

Maybe Minardi will have a better season then anticipated. I sure hope there is a performance clause in this one.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:06 (Ref:1214436)   #6
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen Narain Karthikeyan perform at lower formulas and I do not doubt his ability.
I think this is a very good choice by Jordan.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1214449)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Well he did have some big Indian backers... its always nice to see a country get behind SUCH TALENTED sportsmen.

Maybe Minardi will have a better season then anticipated. I sure hope there is a performance clause in this one.
Bit harsh. It's another 'Yoong', in that these emerging countries (in motorsport terms) don't have a pool of drivers to back, and of those that are available, very few have European experience - so it's natural that they will back the one that has. He's fast, but erratic (IIR) but still finished 6th in the World series in 2004.

Surely it's good to see a country backing anyone, in the UK we have masses of driving talent and virtually nil backing from British businesses over many years of their hands stuck firmly in their pockets!

To widen the scope and have another country represented on the grid can only be a good thing. It's another first for F1 and some positive press - for a change.

Anyone some info on him:http://www.narainracing.com/index.html
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1214464)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
How did he do in his previous F1 tests? Is he quick?

Hope for Jordan's sake that they can afford to get an experienced/quick driver in the second seat.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1214468)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good grief, even Bas Leinders is better than this guy....
So it's most likely this guy and Dominguez that are going to fill the raceseats then?

What a joke...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 1 Feb 2005 at 10:45.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1214474)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It seems from further articles on Reuters that Trevor Calin is quite a fan of this lad. He drove for Calin in F3 and didn't do too badly.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1214481)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I recall reading somewhere that Mr K was in negotiations with Kingfisher Beer (a former Benetton sponsor, and Indian beer brand) for support for 2005 and beyond... perhaps those talks paid off... literally...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1214485)   #12
x_acto
Rookie

Portugal
Portugal
x_acto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the second driver will be Tiago Monteiro. He drove also for Calin and was 2nd last year in Formula Nissan World Series.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1214487)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
And I have just noticed I spelt Carlin wrong twice...sorry Trevor!
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:08 (Ref:1214489)   #14
toot toot
Racer

toot toot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's got plenty of experience in single seaters, he's had a go in just about every formula going. But he can't be that bad with a win in the Korean F3 superprix, sixth in Macau and various British F3 success'.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1214492)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are they naming a 3rd driver? Maybe someone from Formula Woman would like a go [/rant off]

This seems a very lightweight driver line up... even RBR recognised the need to get a driver with F1 experience aboard a rookie ship...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1214495)   #16
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now I understand why yesterday Jordan GP stopped a driver from signing a contract....Probably more money...
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1214497)   #17
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Pizzonia? He has experience and the speed to go with it. He may not of done lots of races but he has raced in F1 with two different teams and has done more testing than most of the young drivers on the market although there is always Wurz - depending on the cars air intake/versus his height.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1214503)   #18
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a quick second read. Narain Karthikeyan is actually a bit like Sato/Massa fast but needs to calm down a bad driver at all. But of course we will see! Lets which him and the new sponsors the best. It will be great if 9 teams run together, maybe Minardi can get in the mix too. Best of luck.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:18 (Ref:1214509)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Is Doornbos still likely to get the other seat, do we think? Crash.net suggests that Glock is now looking to Champ Cars.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1214510)   #20
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he is as exciting as Sato, then it is going to be fun, but just read an article at F1Racing, and here is an excerpt from http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=75665:
"
Sanjay Sharma, Karthikeyan's manager, said in a Reuters report: "Narain has been offered a drive by Jordan as their number one. He has accepted."

The Jordan team denies a deal has been signed at the moment but could reveal to F1Racing.net: "We will announce our drivers within two weeks."
"
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1214513)   #21
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Jordan Grand Prix have announced that Narain Karthikeyan will be joining the team as No1 driver for the 2005 season.
Has this been confirmed by Jordan yet?

All I have seen until now, is that his manager claims there is a contract.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1214522)   #22
Gabrio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Has this been confirmed by Jordan yet?

All I have seen until now, is that his manager claims there is a contract.
nothing officially confirmed by Jordan as of now
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1214538)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4224963.stm

Not confirmed as yet.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1214551)   #24
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I was going to say that Carlin's had better drivers through the years that he could offer the seat to, but from that BBC article it's clear that they want pay-drivers for 2005

Quote:
"We're a year ahead of schedule. We're using this year as a learning year and building for 2006, so we don't want to use up next year's budget this year,"
I guess it's too much to hope that Carlin's old drivers van de Merwe or Keohane could raise the budget...
Old 1 Feb 2005, 12:34 (Ref:1214564)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Narain's team are trying to force Jordan's hand by announcing it first, hoping that Jordan will give him the drive so as to avoid disappointing hundreds of millions of people? It sounds as if he still needs to get the last of the sponsorship sorted.

I'd say Narain is more talented than Yoong - he's got reasonable results in every junior series he's entered, and has done lots of F1 miles seemingly without difficulty. He could be a Baumgartner-style slow but steady guy, or perhaps a Diniz who does well once given a chance in F1 and largely belied his status as a pay-driver.
Closed Thread