Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1035213)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kyalami circuit sold.

Another evocative name from the F1 past has been sold.

The Kyalami racing circuit, home of the South African Grand Prix for many years, has been sold for $7.1m. The new owners are a consortium of businessmen including both businessmen and property developers. It is expected that the circuit will continue to be managed by the new owners but that other parts of the facility will be redeveloped.

Hopefully it will continue as a race track.

"The preservation of Kyalami as a world-renowned motorsport icon is of paramount importance to us.," says Mike Fogg. "At the same time we intend developing the property as a unique home for all facets of motoring, from the sport through to the retailing of motor vehicles. The track will remain central to the motoring theme."

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13233.html

Incidentally the last World Championship Grand Prix was held at Kyalami in 1993, won by Prost in a Williams-Renault.

Some history on Kyalami.
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cir-069.html
Old 13 Jul 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1035218)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully we will get a Grand Prix there again some day! Africa has no GP at all ...

cmon Bernie!!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1035231)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh thank God, i almost thought it had been sold back to the government for housing developments...
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1035361)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they dig it up........

and rebuild the old track
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1035387)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Having had the pleasure of marshalling at Kyalami a few times I hope they do manage to hold onto the race track and not lose it to housing. It would be a crying shame if South Africa were to lose that part of their heritage.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1035429)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As Africa has so few race tracks, it seems important to keep it, but as mentioned the old layout was much better (as always....)
Old 13 Jul 2004, 15:57 (Ref:1035542)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However I think that, to be grand-style relanuched, it needs to host at least one very important event, like an F1 race.
Let's hope F1 global development won't only focus on Asia.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1035607)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would love to see Grand Prix racing back in South Africa. Kyalami is a good little track. Sure, the old was better, but the new one isn't too bad either... Usually put on some good WSB races when it visited.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1035694)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news that the track is safe.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1035713)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem odd that F1, and other large, world sporting events were once held in South Afica during aparthied, but now that it no longer exists, they seem to be largely ignored on the world sporting stage. Strange...

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jul 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1036090)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
There were plans to stage a GP at Kyalami not too many years ago when Mandela first came to power. The sponsorship was all oined up (Vodacom) but, the weak Rand and the escalation in violence were the main factors for the race not going ahead.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 23:17 (Ref:1036864)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kyalami is pretty much out for hosting a GP and, as far as I know, so is South Africa, but what alternatives are there?

Are they any remotely sensible alternatives in SA nowadays?
Old 15 Jul 2004, 00:52 (Ref:1036891)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Kyalami is pretty much out for hosting a GP and, as far as I know, so is South Africa, but what alternatives are there?

Are they any remotely sensible alternatives in SA nowadays?
There was some pretty serious talks going on for bringing Champ Cars to race in South Africa this year, but I think the plans for that must have fallen through. I'm not exactly sure where it was supposed to be in that country though.

Maybe a CC fan would know more...
Old 15 Jul 2004, 05:57 (Ref:1036974)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
There was some pretty serious talks going on for bringing Champ Cars to race in South Africa this year, but I think the plans for that must have fallen through. I'm not exactly sure where it was supposed to be in that country though.

Maybe a CC fan would know more...
Stephen Watson couldn't get government backing for the event so it's in permanent limbo. Other issues were involved too, none of which really had anything to do with champcar. Watson is now involved in that A1 Grand Prix thing, so if a race happened now, I would imagine it would be with that.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1037015)   #15
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
There is the track at Welkom which Moto-GP go to. ... also Champcar or Indycar were looking at going to Durban on a street track? I am not sure what happened to that?

If London wants to do it why cant SA

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1037078)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cougar21
There is the track at Welkom which Moto-GP go to. ... also Champcar or Indycar were looking at going to Durban on a street track? I am not sure what happened to that?

If London wants to do it why cant SA
The proposed durban race was the one we were talking about. From what I've heard Welkom is a state of the art track.