Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Mar 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3720278)   #946
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Flyping eck I've just paid 12.00 for the DVDs
Happy birthday bloke.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3720295)   #947
Malcolm Smith
Racer

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
If of interest, there is a documentary on BBC Northern Ireland tonight about Tommy Byrne - called 'Crash and Burn'. Available on Sky channel 953 I think.

Gary, many thanks for posting. I really enjoyed the programme.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3720370)   #948
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
If of interest, there is a documentary on BBC Northern Ireland tonight about Tommy Byrne - called 'Crash and Burn'. Available on Sky channel 953 I think.
Thanks for bringing that to attention, it was an interesting watch. Admittedly heavy rain disrupted my satellite reception briefly so I may have missed something but I couldn't feeling that from memory some of the early F Ford history was a bit disjointed. For instance, there was no mention of his time with the works PRS team in Britain & Europe in 1979.

My abiding memory of that year was a European Championship round at the Nurburgring, I believe only the second-ever FF race to be run on the Nordschleife. Tommy put the PRS on pole, & seeing it as a big opportunity, the Holman brothers who ran PRS guarded Tommy very carefully between qualifying & the race, ensuring he didn't get into any trouble. Needless to say, Tommy became a bad boy in the race. German hot-shot Peter Kroeber soon got the lead, but something like six separate observers around the circuit reported Tommy as he repeatedly hit Peter until the German went off. Needless to say, Byrne was disqualified, & John Village inherited the win, having had a grandstand view of the action & could see what the outcome would be.

It was great to see some period footage last night & spot many familiar faces from those days. Tommy has not lost any modesty either, considering himself to be the equal of Ayrton Senna was a bit far-fetched!

Last edited by John Elwin; 21 Mar 2017 at 07:24. Reason: Missed a word
Old 21 Mar 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3720396)   #949
racinglad
Rookie

racinglad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC iplayer

Has got crash and burn as well
Old 21 Mar 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3720399)   #950
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinglad View Post
That's excellent news. I will be able to watch it after all then...
Old 21 Mar 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3720430)   #951
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinglad View Post
Are you lot rubbing all this in.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 15:16 (Ref:3720436)   #952
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would not mind but I only ordered the DVD Sunday. Not come yet.Thanks for the BBC I Player nod.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 15:57 (Ref:3720446)   #953
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Would not mind but I only ordered the DVD Sunday. Not come yet.Thanks for the BBC I Player nod.
I have always thought we should have a 'For Sale & Wanted' thread on the forum.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3720466)   #954
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Not wanting to be left out, just watched C and B on the jolly old iplayer.

Thought EJ pretty much summed it up at the end! Good watch, and some nice archive footage of junior formula racing.....
Old 22 Mar 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3720590)   #955
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, I watched it last night and found it an entertaining hour. I did strike me what an arrogant so & so TB is/was, plus it was interesting to see & hear others from that time such as Calvin Fish & David Kennedy. The archive footage was also very nostalgic.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3720612)   #956
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yep, I watched it last night and found it an entertaining hour. I did strike me what an arrogant so & so TB is/was, plus it was interesting to see & hear others from that time such as Calvin Fish & David Kennedy. The archive footage was also very nostalgic.
Yes to all that! Didn't appear to be too much 'crash' while he was winning championships, unless they skipped over that aspect..... Certainly a very natural talent.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3720700)   #957
Gerard C
Subscriber
Racer

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Jean" dit you hear something about London?
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3720702)   #958
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, attack on Parliament. Very sad that not only has a policeman been injured but an innocent person has died. We live in interesting times...................... sadly.
Old 22 Mar 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3720704)   #959
Gerard C
Subscriber
Racer

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signe des temps politics yesterday use to express their condemnation now they tend to say they are sorry but that we must be prepared to this kind of thing (lasting).
Old 22 Mar 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3720721)   #960
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Now four dead, including a perpetrator. Very sad day.