Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1051847)   #76
lowndes6
Racer

lowndes6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Archer my contact knows where Ellery and the team will end up but wont tell me
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1051857)   #77
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year my contact told me McConville was moving. This year he can't tell me much at all. Things must be being kept pretty quiet. But he did say that a few of the current drivers won't be in the top series next year.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1051884)   #78
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noske
Longhurst/Dumbrell
Luff
Brede
Krause
Just to name a few

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 31 Jul 2004, 01:51 (Ref:1052462)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by lowndes6
Archer my contact knows where Ellery and the team will end up but wont tell me
Who says he is going anywhere? Misinformation dissemination is becoming an artform out of Qld at the moment.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Jul 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1052657)   #80
lowndes6
Racer

Ok GRTMagic that’s your opinion. I know what going on as im in the industry that has a lot do with V8 Supercars and we know what going on behind the scenes. Trust me next year Supercheap Racing will be no more and become a new Holden team
Old 31 Jul 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1052669)   #81
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And will Steve Ellery have a drive in this team or another?
Old 31 Jul 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1052699)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by lowndes6
Ok GRTMagic that’s your opinion. I know what going on as im in the industry that has a lot do with V8 Supercars and we know what going on behind the scenes. Trust me next year Supercheap Racing will be no more and become a new Holden team
Please dont bet me, I dont want to take your money! Safe as a bank....
Old 1 Aug 2004, 00:46 (Ref:1052984)   #83
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would back GTR based on the fact that both Supercheap and Ford are more than happy with SER.

Anyone who wants to can think different, but I think some people might get a few surprises with what happens.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 22:12 (Ref:1053574)   #84
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eduardo1
Watch for Fabian Coulthard to provide the large wad of cash needed to run a second car at Tasman - ala Dale Brede, Paul Dumbrell etc.
Dont think so Coulthard aint no SORF he won the NZ Formula Ford Championship with his old man and Craig from K AND A Motorsport in Adelaide on a very small budget. Where he has got today is on his driving talent alone, he told me at Winton that he would like to win the Carrera Cup Championship next year first.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 23:36 (Ref:1053617)   #85
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
105octane, don't get me wrong, Fabian has talent. But he was only considered for the Tasman enduro drive because he brought cash. Once they established a short list with the drivers who had money, then they started testing to find out which one they wanted.

As far back as May drivers were asking around Tasman for a chance to test with the team, including one that had driven with them before. Straight up - 'How much money have you got'.

Hey, it ain't no crime to be an SORF. Look at the Kelly brothers - their ascension came on the back of a huge investment by their folks, but you'd never question their ability or their right to be a part of the game.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 00:29 (Ref:1053640)   #86
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eduardo - wrong on several counts.

1. Coulthard has not got a fistful of dollars - if he did, he would still be in the UK driving Formula Renault and chasing his F1 dream.

2. Cash was not a prerequisite for the Tasman enduro drive. Talent and potential was. Only two guys were ever seriously considered, and neither was cashed up. If any other driver you know was told it was a "drive for dollars" deal, then perhaps that was the team's way of saying "thanks, but no thanks".

3. Tasman may look a bit light-on for sponsorship this year, but don't for a moment think they're short for a buck. There's plenty of cash behind the team, even if you can't see it on the side of the car.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 02:04 (Ref:1053660)   #87
Mickcals
Racer

Mickcals has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well from what i ve heard 2005 season is going have to a whole lot of changes:

Ive been told of a connection between Tander and HRT, Lowndes and 888/SBR, Seton and BJR, Murphy going else where and i wouldnt be suprirsed if WPS either ditches both Besnard and Noske or jumps to Holden

Theres a lot to keep your eye on this Silly Season
Old 2 Aug 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1053671)   #88
jimmycourier
Racer

jimmycourier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seton to BJR, interesting, but probably not too likely as Andrew Jones would probably be a safe seat if Bowe was to move.. but then again theres always Brads spot, but he seems to be kicking on a bit so might have a few season left yet. Bowe and FPR, that is probably a possibility because of his strong ties with FPV.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1053785)   #89
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vee8
Not sure we're your getting your info from but

1. Just because he can't afford a US500K+ for a season in F/Renault, don't assume he can't afford an enduro seat. By the way, who's paying for the Carrera drive? It ain't Murphy, and if Fabian doesn't have the cash - then he has backers. Perhaps they're keen to be involved with the young guy in V8s?

2. Talent, potential WITH funding were the prerequisites. Not because one of the drivers told me (otherwise I would agree with you about the 'thanks but no thanks) but because it came from those involved in the decision-making. No team ever admits that its decisions are based on cash. Larry's still trying to tell people he took Dumbrell in on talent.

3) Just because the principals have cash, don't assume they enjoy spending it on motorsport. This team may be propped up on Kevin Murphy's cheque book, but they aren't spending any more than they absolutely have to in order to survive. Without a big increase in 3rd party funding, this team isn't going very far, because Kevin didn't buy a team in order to spend his hard-earned fortune. He bought in to make more money.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1053802)   #90
Mitch
Rookie

Mitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

Although I am new here and this is my first post, I have to definately back Pete on the Supercheap rumour, although you may have industry links to the team, so do I, and there is no way they are running Holdens, Ford is definate and 2 cars is an extremely high possibility. Cheers
(Hope I havent upset you in anyway lowndes6)
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1053804)   #91
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some might ask who owns the team??

Coulthard would have access to funds to pay for the enduros. The Carrera Cup is a pretty hefty asking price I would think, based on some of the dollars another young Kiwi is paying, it is pretty big bucks to get in at the "serious" end.

If you look at the GMR Carrera Cup stable, it quickly becomes apparent that there is plenty of dollars there to inject into the Supercar operation from the same circle.

If the GMR Carrera Cup budget figures are actually true, then they want for nothing in the Carrera Cup campaign.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1053807)   #92
Just Do It!
Veteran

Thanks for the supporting knowledge, holden_racing

Go Supercheap and Ellery
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1053811)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I dont think Mr Vee8 is exactly far from the source on this one, nor perhaps is Mr 105octane, who equally should know more than most about the subject.

The Carrera Cup ride at GMR is a low 6 figure proposition, given that the primary signage space is already taken up by Braun as major sponsor... so a $100k spend is significantly easier to find that US$500k.... which is more saleable to a sponsor base than a similar number for 2 one-off rides, with a road to nowhere... if indeed Tasman was looking for cash for their gig...

Tasman doesnt need the money, well its not really Tasman anyway now is it, a reformed Lansvale Racing Team, without too many logos from the major backer on the side... arguably it could have been a similar result last year had the team formed relationships with people the calibre of John Mathews before, instead of treading water... and focusing additional funds on the car, despite also having commercial opportunities gone begging.

I am led to believe not all is rosy on the sponsorship side unfortunately, despite the brave face, because there arent cheques in the bank from people other than the same 2 guys who have propped this team up for several seasons now.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1053824)   #94
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JM has a long history with Steve and Trevor, being a former employee of ICI Autocolour when the Bankstown Beaters were suring up their stake in the Sydney Panel game.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:39 (Ref:1053828)   #95
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Well lets just say that the improvement in the team comes from 2 areas, from the chief engineer having tools in place to do a good job (Wally Storey remains an innovator) and the team having a level of funding in place guaranteed, and not waiting till the end of a meeting to know if there is enough dollars to run development on particular components.

Now if the engineer type, who has been around a fair bit, was included in the process of management to an even larger degree, perhaps they may be an even stronger outfit....
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1053839)   #96
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bulk $$$ still required to pay for the developments.

Wal would have to be happy with the car speed at Winton, especially on old tyres

Not a bad effort after only a few races with the VY and dont forget where the next race is!

Last edited by rdmdog; 2 Aug 2004 at 09:49.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:51 (Ref:1053844)   #97
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I agree rdmdog... considering they are still running 4th string HMS engines, the car was showing a lot of pace at Winton for a long while....
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1053910)   #98
lowndes6
Racer

holden_racing

thats fine but i can tell you as i was told today Supercheap will not be with Steven Ellery Racing and in 2005 will be sponsoring a Holden Team. And this comes from someone in the know.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1053919)   #99
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Perhaps they will be sponsoring as Holden team in 2005. As well as the Ellery machine. There is a multi year deal laying around somewhere.....
Old 2 Aug 2004, 13:00 (Ref:1054032)   #100
lowndes6
Racer

Nope wont happen