Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2725392)   #1
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newey leaving McLaren?

Can anyone tell me if there was an 'issue' (which became public) that caused Newey to leave McLaren?

Thanks
Old 12 Jul 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2725393)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
He's leaving...?!

Selby
Old 12 Jul 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2725400)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was it because they wanted to use the 'maxtrix' system of alternating design years and a bigger group? Not really answering your question I'm afraid, but it's a suggestion.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2725407)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't he initially leave because he wanted to design boats?
Old 12 Jul 2010, 12:17 (Ref:2725411)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I think that he probably wanted a change to do something else but was made an offer he couldn't refuse !
This makes interesting reading http://motorracing.blogspot.com/2005...ian-newey.html

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 12 Jul 2010 at 12:23.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Jul 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2725465)   #6
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Didn't he initially leave because he wanted to design boats?
That was my understanding plus wanting a change in a general sense. Left Williams because he wanted equity. Would be great if he headed back to Williams as expect the internal red bull conflicts not his taste.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2725482)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Now there's a nice thought

Selby
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2725540)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He wanted a Newey challenge.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2725718)   #9
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that he was very close to leaving for Jaguar a few years ago, when Tony Purnell or David Pitchforth were leading the team, since he got on well with one of them (can't remember which though). Ron persuaded him to stay, but a few years later he left for that same team.

Can't remember where I found this story, it was a while ago I heard it all. And he did at one point say he wanted to go and design boats, but I don't think he ever did.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2725728)   #10
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was when Bobby Rahal was in charge, as for the boats thing i am sure he has mentioned Americas Cup somewhere along the line.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2725788)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, I believe Bobby Rahal was very angry with him for a while after his defection to (or remaining at) McLaren, after a long-standing friendship.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2725805)   #12
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I thought it was when Bobby Rahal was in charge, as for the boats thing i am sure he has mentioned Americas Cup somewhere along the line.
From what I remember, he had signed or agreed contract terms with his friend Rahal, when Rahal was leading the Jaguar F1 effort, i think 2002. Ron Dennis got wind of it and agreed new working conditions for Newey, including more time to race his historic collection of cars.

In the last couple of years, Newey has committed himself to Red Bull but he's been interviewed as saying that he wants to design an Americas Cup yacht when he leaves F1 design. I think part of the reason being that the rules have become so restrictive.
I assume that the rule changes for 2009 allowed his genius to design a package that was plainly the work of the designer.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2726078)   #13
stark
Rookie

stark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the responses - interesting about Williams. I like RB but it would be great to see Williams up at the front end again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Was it because they wanted to use the 'maxtrix' system of alternating design years and a bigger group? Not really answering your question I'm afraid, but it's a suggestion.
Excuse the ignorance, but is that a 'McLaren Matrix' or is it a universal business set up? Obviously they'd tweak it for their needs, but just wondered whether it was part of the McLaren way - like their system for naming the road car.

Out of interest and slightly off topic, does anyone have a general staff organogram of a team?