Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2728441)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AMUS/AutoHebdo : Petrov out at Renault? Kobayashi in for 2011?

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...t-1932224.html

http://www.autohebdo.fr/f1/f1/breve-...-avec-renault-
http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...t-&sl=fr&tl=en

Gist - Petrov has until Hungary to prove his worth at Renault. Candidates for a seat alongside Robert Kubica are Kamui Kobayashi, Nick Heidfeld, Timo Glock and Christian Klien.

Possible reformation of last year's BMW Sauber team? Supposedly Kobayashi chose Sauber over Renault last time, was that a mistake?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2728455)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Argentine driver Esteban Guerrieri (4th in FR.5 despite missing 3races out of 11) is also pushing to replace Petrov for 2011. The Argentine government is considering pouring money - elections are next year and they have lost control of the parliament last year.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 07:15 (Ref:2728871)   #3
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Petrov, he's amusing and he's certainly a hell of a lot better than Piquet or Grosjean ever were.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2728916)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd feel a bit sorry for petrov if they binned him. he has proven he's quick, and ok so he bins it - so does everyone else. considering he's up against the unmoveable object that is robert kubica, who seems to have a schumacheresque hold over the development he's doing rather well! i don't think kobayashi would make a much better job of it.

none of renaults own third and reserve drivers are anywhere near good enough to take up a seat, and sorry to his fans and that but i think esteban would run out of talent in f1. give him any sort of single seater car and he'll drive it as fast as it'll go and faster but anything else and you're better off with someone else.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2728933)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Petov's not been too bad, but I think Kobayashi would be better. Kubica is really coming into his own now though.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2728945)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
none of renaults own third and reserve drivers are anywhere near good enough to take up a seat, and sorry to his fans and that but i think esteban would run out of talent in f1. give him any sort of single seater car and he'll drive it as fast as it'll go and faster but anything else and you're better off with someone else.
Well, as Argentinian I only hope they could make it into F1, at least for a temporary role! Previous generation (Fontana, Mazzacane, Tuero) made it but can't show much of what they could, and current one (López, Guerrieri) even can't get a chance to show anything in F1 up to now (despite JML did some test sessions).

Despite current Argie drivers seems to be "worn out", we need them back in order to revive the interest of our younger racers to make the trip to Europe. We're losing notable formula talents of the newer generation (Werner, Falaschi) who prefer to step up directly from junior formulae to local touring cars instead to prove themselves in the Old World (with the notable exceptions of Curia and Regalia).
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2728948)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, Kubica's driving the wheels off that Renault, as is Kobayashi doing the same at Sauber. Petrov has been quite impressive, but not as impressive as Kobayashi. IMO Kamui is a potential WDC top six, and to be honest I don't think Vitaly Petrov is.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2728955)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think Quick Nick would be the best bet.

For some reason I could see Koby going there and underperforming - this is just a feeling, however. I just feel like he's getting to grips with this Sauber and their fortune's slowly starting to turn with the appointing of Mr Keys.

Nick Heidfeld is i'm sure very hungry (no pun with the race Petrov might be kicked out from...) to be on the 2010 grid, as he's literally doing nothing else (well, apart from the GPDA, but i'm sure he could make time for a drive ).

Plus, Kubica/Heidy is a good combination.

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2728958)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
He'd probably resign from the GPDA chairmanship, it's now pretty much expected that the GPDA chairman is a test driver, so they can devote race weekends to GPDA business.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2728969)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I rekon he'd be devastated...

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2728979)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think it's worth pointing out that any teammate to kubica would have to be a proper number 2, rather like what used to be the case with schumacher. so any of the older wiser drivers wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2729000)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
But thinking about from Heidfeld's point of view - What would you rather do, play 2nd fiddle to an ex-team mate, or be the head of the GPDA?

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2729007)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I think the latter. The GPDA is actually quite low profile at the moment, they don't even have a website (FOTA do, admittedly a low rent one).
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2729009)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I just would have thought a driver would want to drive in a decent F1 car. I mean in fairness, I could be wrong.

Selby
Old 20 Jul 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2729602)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the point why Renault would want to change their driver lineup. Petrov is making good progress for a rookie and should be their main candidate for the 2nd car for next year, too. The only difference is the one that money could make ...
Old 20 Jul 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2729666)   #16
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
The thing with in-season changes is that the driver won't have had the mileage to get used to the car - think of Romain Grosjean's struggles last year.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2729669)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
What about Kobayashi last year, though?

Selby
Old 20 Jul 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2729678)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Presumably the lack of experience just the reason he wasn't challenging for even better positions
Old 20 Jul 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2729682)   #19
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
What about Kobayashi last year, though?

Selby
The Toyota was excellent last year, probably one of the best cars. Someone like Alonso or Hamilton would have won races with it. The Renault on the other hand was terrible
Old 20 Jul 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2729684)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Kobayashi probably would have won races (or certainly got a podium) if he got the drive at the start of the season, and got out the blocks in Melbourne like he did in Interlagos. The Toyota wouldn't have been a match for the Brawn or the RBR, but it certainly was a vast improvement.
Old 20 Jul 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2729755)   #21
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Kobayashi probably would have won races (or certainly got a podium) if he got the drive at the start of the season, and got out the blocks in Melbourne like he did in Interlagos. The Toyota wouldn't have been a match for the Brawn or the RBR, but it certainly was a vast improvement.
I don't think Kobayashi is that good - remember he was very fortunate to subsitute for Glock, otherwise he would have been out of motorsport altogether. But Kamui has shown he would be worthy of a Renault seat next year.

I would like Heidfeld to get it but Kubica wouldn't want him as a teammate again.

Glock has been quietly impressive this year - the Virgin has no right to be anywhere near the Lotuses but he's beaten them in qualifying a few times. His style really suits these new regulations so he deserves a Renault drive.

And Sutil too - he really has earned his stripes this year.

Any one of those 4 would be best for the 2nd Renault.