Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2994179)   #1
bluesbrother30
Rookie

United States
West Sacramento, California
bluesbrother30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chevron B-10 Chassis

Is there information available about the Chevron B-10 cars?? Numbers built, chassis numbers, where they went??
Old 2 Dec 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2994237)   #2
spyder62
Rookie

spyder62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes there is. They made two B-10's and I owned and raced chassis number 2. I bought the car in Portland in around 1973 and sold it to Monte Shelton in Portland in 1990. He later sold it and I have lost track of it , but there is a photo of it at http://www.oldracingcars.com/chevron/b10/
I ran the car at Portland and Sears point from 73 till about 77 when I bought a B-29 atlantic car,
If you check the thread on the B-29's you will find more info there also.
rich
Old 13 Jan 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3011401)   #3
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Original B10s

Indeed there were TWO F2 cars (Later Designated B10s built in 1968 )

Frank Lythgoe commissioning the Factory to built them in late 1967 for Peter Gethin to drive in International Races in 1968.

The 1st car proved to be a "Dead Duck"due in some respects to the shear lack of development despite pleas to the Factory for assistance.

So much so Frank Gardner was asked to test the car for an unbiased opinion of it in May of 68.
He testified that it did indeed require much more development to make it competitive.

Frank Lythgoe approached the factory one last time for help.

Unfortunately this was not forthcoming despite Derek Bennett trying out the 2nd car which by now was completed.
In desperation Frank Lythgoe cancelled the order for the 2nd car & sold the first to Frank Williams.
A Brabham B.T.23C was immediately purchased for Peter Gethin to finish the 68 F2 Season with a fair amount of success.
The 2nd car languished at the factory till later in 68 when it was first purchased for Speed Events before Graham Eden raced it mainly in F.Libre in 69 & 1970.
The 17c update simply consisted of B17C wheels & tyres( 10s x 14s) plus the fitment of Aerofoils but still retaining its aluminium fuel tanks etc that it was built with,even to the point that it still had its original driver roll bar intact.
Attached Thumbnails
img911323.jpg  
Old 24 Aug 2016, 04:37 (Ref:3667314)   #4
spyder62
Rookie

spyder62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here's one of Chassis #2 my old car. Takin at the Portland Or. vintage races last year. First time I had seen it since I sold in back in 89 and first time sitting in it since I lasted raced it back in like 77. I still fit and it felt great being back in the seat.
rich
Old 3 Oct 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4128587)   #5
titan6
Rookie

United States
California
titan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossyhodge View Post
Indeed there were TWO F2 cars (Later Designated B10s built in 1968 )

Frank Lythgoe commissioning the Factory to built them in late 1967 for Peter Gethin to drive in International Races in 1968.

The 1st car proved to be a "Dead Duck"due in some respects to the shear lack of development despite pleas to the Factory for assistance.

So much so Frank Gardner was asked to test the car for an unbiased opinion of it in May of 68.
He testified that it did indeed require much more development to make it competitive.

Frank Lythgoe approached the factory one last time for help.

Unfortunately this was not forthcoming despite Derek Bennett trying out the 2nd car which by now was completed.
In desperation Frank Lythgoe cancelled the order for the 2nd car & sold the first to Frank Williams.
A Brabham B.T.23C was immediately purchased for Peter Gethin to finish the 68 F2 Season with a fair amount of success.
The 2nd car languished at the factory till later in 68 when it was first purchased for Speed Events before Graham Eden raced it mainly in F.Libre in 69 & 1970.
The 17c update simply consisted of B17C wheels & tyres( 10s x 14s) plus the fitment of Aerofoils but still retaining its aluminum fuel tanks etc that it was built with, even to the point that it still had its original driver roll bar intact.
I wonder what the date is of this pic. It shows the rear top link position that was later added(around mid 68 season) along with sheet metal strengthening of the chassis, an update that was added to the early F3 B9s that lead to Tim Schenken dominating the later part of the season. The top link was moved further inside, lowering the roll center, adding rear grip. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
This set up was standard on the B15 & 17 and I imagine the increased rear grip with the narrower F3 tires is why they were noted as very understeering cars.