Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2280939)   #1
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long time no see

Here´s my next track after a long break. The longer variant is about 5,2 km long. The track is clockwise and according to Google Earth it has elavation changes of about 20 metres from highest to lowest point of the track. Hope you like it because I have put a bit more detail in it than I normally do.
PS: I´m sure that Luiggi would like to ride that corner in the left hand side.
Attached Thumbnails
rata 3 v4.JPG  
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2280985)   #2
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh a fantastic circuit, excellent. Looks like it'd make a very nice motorcycle circuit. Throw into some rolling gradients and it'd be complete. Fantastic effort.

That said, I'm a little bit perturbed that you haven't detailed exactly how much asphalt you'd intend to use and how many grains of sand I could expect to find in the gravel traps.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2280999)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Ok, Shambles, chill just a bit.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2281000)   #4
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What?
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2281003)   #5
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles
Ahh a fantastic circuit, excellent. Looks like it'd make a very nice motorcycle circuit. Throw into some rolling gradients and it'd be complete. Fantastic effort.

That said, I'm a little bit perturbed that you haven't detailed exactly how much asphalt you'd intend to use and how many grains of sand I could expect to find in the gravel traps.
Thanks for the compliments! I just had to laugh when I read the last part of your post.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2281010)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
HAHA - that WAS the intention of the comments
Old 3 Sep 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2281027)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
May I offer the suggestion that the chicane in the second half of the lap be made an option, with the circuit sweeping to the left from the right handed sweeper.
Attached Thumbnails
rata 3 v4 copy.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2281164)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That might just be what this track needs. I think it can offer some great racing, and quite some overtaking, but you change can give it a breathtaking section that it misses. Although the right-sweeper is quite a corner on itself already, especially for bikes i imagine.
I wonder though how I can reach the paddock?
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2281256)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with shambles - it's a great design. Bikes came into my mind also.

I love the way you took the existing patches of vegetation into consideration. Something I was always keen on doing when working with Google maps background.

SBF's idea would, i think, work pretty well also.

Where's the location, by the way?

(And one question that will put my inadequate Google Earth skills pretty much in the limelight: how do you get elevation info from Google Earth?)
Old 4 Sep 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2281301)   #10
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff there Iceman. I'm digging that track and I agree with SBF about that chicane being an optional thing. I'm sure that it would be good for both cars and bikes. Kudos
Old 4 Sep 2008, 01:56 (Ref:2281315)   #11
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the location, I'm guessing by some of the names of the roads and places, somewhere in Finland.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2281419)   #12
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Using the latitude ans longitude

It appears to be about 4 miles from the edge of Helsenki, 12 miles from the center
Old 4 Sep 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2281531)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio
(And one question that will put my inadequate Google Earth skills pretty much in the limelight: how do you get elevation info from Google Earth?)
If you look at the image, in the centre of the info bar at the bottom. Kork. is I presume an abreviation for the Finnish word for Elevation (above sea level). Simply move the cursor over any landscape (when at a reasonable resiloution) in Google Earth and you'll see this number appear.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2281564)   #14
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
In my point of view, I´d like to leave the chicane there, but also add the option to bypass it like in SBF´s edit. Main reasons for it are that the chicane would be a possible overtaking spot for some touring cars etc. and also the flatoutish(if it´s a word) run without the chicane would be a bit too long for slower classes. One of the main reasons why I put it there is that it adds variety to the track.

As for the location, it is about 8,5 km north of the center of Espoo and about 19 km northwest from Helsinki city center. It is also only about 1,2 km north of Lake Bodom. It would be a nice site, but I don´t think it´s realistic, because there are a lot of farmers and I don´t think they would like this idea(but I hope they would )
Old 4 Sep 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2281576)   #15
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
I like the chicane but would also build in an option. I'd leave the straight as the option because the chicane is cool.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2281614)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd say that Snetterton, Thruxton, and Macau debunk that argument about smaller classes and touring cars, but that's just me. Also, the hard right-hander at the end of that section should provide plenty of scope for overtaking. Aside from that, I've never cared for chicanes, and especially when they're just there for the sake of having one on the circuit (just for variety's sake).
Old 5 Sep 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2282010)   #17
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow Iceman that's a gorgeous little track meng!

The only thing I would change is...

...put it in my backyard!!!!

Ok, one thing, on the last corner before the straight,I would extend the run off area a couple more meters into the straight section, given the angle of the curve,It calls for really straightening it up a lot, and the outer point would be pretty deep,maybe around where your pit lane in is right now.

Also analize the pit in routine,try to visualize if drivers entering will have it easy.I thinl we analyzed one such pit entrances not long ago.