Hamilton and Button visit McLaren's crypt

McLaren fan or not, this is a pretty cool video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/v...clarens-crypt/
Old 1 Jul 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2720770)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
WOW - look at all those cars!

It would be great if McLaren could dig out some of these classic cars for a track day like Lotus did recently.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2720780)   #3
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great find Dave!

You could tell that both of them were like kids once they sat in Senna's car.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2720783)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
couldn't quite imagine alonso being quite as happy if he was there. He would of moaned straight away that Hamilton was allowed to lift up the cover 1st.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2720784)   #5
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Lewis would have stormed off to go yell at the team if Alonso was there.

Old 1 Jul 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2720785)   #6
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW! lucky boys!... The occasion doesn't seem to be lost on them either. What an incredible place.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2720876)   #7
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder how many cars are there?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2720891)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Believe it or not, I'm told that Ron's private collection is even better!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2720922)   #9
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 things.
1) I have been lucky enough to sit in that car a couple of years back at Goodwood, my daughters too.
2) I completely understand the awe that Hamilton and Button felt. "He raced this car"
Even now 16 years after his death, his spirit dominates.

Damn, I can't stand it, i might just start supporting Mclaren....God help me!!!
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2720923)   #10
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Believe it or not, I'm told that Ron's private collection is even better!
What if Enzo had kept a museum of all his cars. Instead of destroying them at seasons end...
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2720926)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
What if Enzo had kept a museum of all his cars. Instead of destroying them at seasons end...
Did he really destroy them?
Old 2 Jul 2010, 09:19 (Ref:2721031)   #12
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Did he really destroy them?
Yes, not for any other reason than he used to break them up and re-use parts of them for the following years cars. Very few lasted over the years.
There is no original 1961 F1 Ferrari 156, the sharknose, because of of his policy.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2721166)   #13
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's really odd.....and I know it's been said before many times but they really do seem to get on like a couple of best mates!

It may just be for the cameras but the chemistry between them seems very natural....and very refreshing to see in F1.

Might be at each others throats by the end of the year but I don’t think so....too much mutual respect there.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2721178)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Yes, not for any other reason than he used to break them up and re-use parts of them for the following years cars. Very few lasted over the years.
There is no original 1961 F1 Ferrari 156, the sharknose, because of of his policy.
Recycling the parts is fairenough, though that's a shame about the sharknose.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2721244)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But wait! what about the Nissan Leaf verses Chevy Volt video!?

That place rocks. They had fun there.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2721264)   #16
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either they get on pretty well or they have the option of treading the boards when they retire from motorsport IMHO
Old 2 Jul 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2721330)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
couldn't quite imagine alonso being quite as happy if he was there. He would of moaned straight away that Hamilton was allowed to lift up the cover 1st.
Yawn!
Old 3 Jul 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2721478)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_G View Post
McLaren fan or not, this is a pretty cool video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/v...clarens-crypt/

Thats not scripted, you can see the love they both have for Senna, their hero, in the interchanges between the two - and you can see Jenson knows how special a moment sitting in Sennas car is for Lewis, fair play to Button for the respectful way he allows his team-mate to savour the moment. God I'd love to see these two out in some of those cars - if theyve still got the laptops to start them up that is.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2721493)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Chris View Post
Either they get on pretty well or they have the option of treading the boards when they retire from motorsport IMHO
Ultimately it's a PR excercise but its done very well; the current and previous WDC, looking at McLaren's legacy. Obviously this wouldn't have been possible if they weren't both British, both driving for McLaren and Hamilton's hero wasn't Senna, so well done to who ever saw the opportunity for this.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2721513)   #20
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not a fan of either of them or McLaren for that matter but that is a very nice clip, top find.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2721597)   #21
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a beautiful clip! I could watch it over and over. Matter of fact, I have.

Picture this...

Same clip... as Hamilton is sitting there, remembering Senna, the look of wonder on his face... quiet and somber atmosphere...

At that point, go out of focus, and fade to...

Noise and bright colors! A young Senna, standing at the rail, blue jeans and t-shirt, watching a Ferrari slide through a turn... setting up a pass on the leader, a half car length ahead...

Up with the theme music, and the title: The Ayrton Senna Story!

(Oops... I just realized that's been done. It's the opening to 'A League of Their Own.' Oh, well... it sure felt right for a moment.)
Old 4 Jul 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2721720)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
God I'd love to see these two out in some of those cars - if theyve still got the laptops to start them up that is.
Some of those cars are going up Goodwood this weekend. Jenson and Lewis are driving them. I don't think Lewis drove yesterday, but Jenson did. It was good to see, although more wellie was needed!
Old 4 Jul 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2721724)   #23
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never understood the facination behind the MP4/4. Yes it took all but 1 victory in the 88 season, but it only had Ferrari as its closest competitor. Many went to N/A engines whilst Ferrari and Mclaren ran the turbo's for 1 last season.

Personally i would of gone for the MP4/6 from 91. N/A, V12, H pattern etc I would rather see that any day than the MP4/4 or the MP4/8 thats at goodwood this weekend.

That is one good crypt though! I wonder how far the cars go back.. Do any of the other teams keep their cars? A Williams FW07 would be nice to sit in
Old 4 Jul 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2721733)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
There is a FW07 in the Williams museum. They seem to have an example of most cars.

The MP4/4 and MP4/8 both looked great. The MP4/6 too. They are all good. Such simple lines.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2721779)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss View Post
I've never understood the facination behind the MP4/4. Yes it took all but 1 victory in the 88 season, but it only had Ferrari as its closest competitor. Many went to N/A engines whilst Ferrari and Mclaren ran the turbo's for 1 last season.
I think the fascination is that the MP4/4 did achieve what it did and that McLaren as a constructor got the package right.