Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2010, 02:56 (Ref:2727863)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
He has often said this...

Marbot has said this often....Credit where it is due, thank you Scott!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=41451
Old 17 Jul 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2727865)   #2
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Squire Manswell and his comments are as useful as a one armed paper hanger ...........
Old 17 Jul 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2727891)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did he want a spec formula in 1992?

And he is still bitter about how Hamilton got to F1 and his two boys will never make it.

Please, someone... Make him stop.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2727894)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
He has a point about about F1 using technology, but then taking it way beyond any practical use for road cars in order to find that extra bit of speed. This costs money. Look at aero for instance!

I think he's also quite right about the 'manufacturing' of Hamilton.

The engineers would much prefer 'robots' anyway, I think.

Ron's perfect driver!
Old 17 Jul 2010, 08:43 (Ref:2727907)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mansell lived in a hole and worked 27 hours a day down pit.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2728074)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be good to compare drivers in equal cars though, wouldn't it? Then we'd be able to answer the question about who's the best. Although maybe with different teams running the same car, there'd still be big differences, like you see in GP2.

As for Mansell's sons not getting an opportunity, hmm, might that be because they're not good enough? 'You have to be supported from down here now, so anywhere in the middle you don't get the support'. Does that mean supported from a young age? They even have the Mansell name going for them, so if they're still not anywhere near F1, it's because they're probably not good enough.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2728083)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
'You have to be supported from down here now, so anywhere in the middle you don't get the support'. Does that mean supported from a young age?
I think Nigel means you need a good set of underpants for the support "down here".

"Anywhere in the middle and you don't get the support." Perhaps this is what is holding Greg and Leo back, they are wearing their underpants around their midriff, which is just too high and would cause discomfort.

Of course Nige probably wants spec underwear too, but that would only cause problems for some drivers. This would be especially exacerbated should Danica Patrick come to F1 and discover she has to don a set of Barrichello sized Y-fronts.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 17 Jul 2010 at 16:51.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2728099)   #8
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I think Nigel means you need a good set of underpants for the support "down here".

"Anywhere in the middle and you don't get the support." Perhaps this is what is holding Greg and Leo back, they are wearing their underpants around their midriff, which is just too high and would cause discomfort.

Of course Nige probably wants spec underwear too, but that would only cause problems for some drivers. This would be especially exacerbated should Danica Patrick come to F1 and discover she has to don a set of Barrichello sized Y-fronts.
I'm having thoughts about Danica Patrick in a big pair of y-fronts now. Its time for my medication I think.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2728209)   #9
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
I'm having thoughts about Danica Patrick in a big pair of y-fronts now. Its time for my medication I think.
Anything is big compared to her...

A spec series ends up with something like IndyCar surely? I always have a weird feeling that when I'm watching a spec series talent is being wasted. This weekend I'm at the IMechE Formula Student and some of the engineering talent on show is impressive, all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas! A spec series kills that deader than the dodo.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2728239)   #10
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It doesn't necessarily matter how good you are. What matters is that you get spotted very young and have backers early on.

It's like watching some of the events at the Olympics. If your grandparents aren't Holocaust survivors, your mom hasn't had cancer (survivor or now deceased), and you haven't been living your chosen discipline since before you were five, "nobody" gives a crap about you.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2728277)   #11
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Mansell lived in a hole and worked 27 hours a day down pit.
Luxury! He was lucky he had a hole.
Old 17 Jul 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2728285)   #12
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mean to be dramatic, but seriously advocating for making F1 a spec series is the worst idea ever.

If you want spec racing, watch IndyCar, NASCAR, Porsche Supercup, GP2, etc. etc.

F1 is NOT spec.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2728305)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is NOT spec, but with some volition could have customer cars as MotoGP has, and F1 itself had in the past.
Problem is, that almost all formulae below F1 became spec ones, with costs uprising since 1980s, how can you revert to the "old-school" multi-chassis era on, say, Indy scheme???
Old 18 Jul 2010, 03:58 (Ref:2728330)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having read the afticle, I don't think he's advocating a spec series per se.

To quote one paragraph:
'The only real way to completely level out differences between teams is of course for all the cars to be identical but Mansell concedes that is unlikely to happen. "You can't stop people making new inventions and technology going forward," he says. However, he adds, "I think it sometimes can be slowed down." '
Old 18 Jul 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2728459)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
You could already argue that F1 is a spec series, and has been for quite some time!

They look like other open wheel series cars, they are operated in a similar way, they are not too dissimilar in performance to quite a few of them, and are sometimes inferior to others in specification.

The only 'real' difference is in the detail, and that's certainly where the 'devil' is in F1's case!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2728478)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You could already argue that F1 is a spec series, and has been for quite some time!

They look like other open wheel series cars, they are operated in a similar way, they are not too dissimilar in performance to quite a few of them, and are sometimes inferior to others in specification.

The only 'real' difference is in the detail, and that's certainly where the 'devil' is in F1's case!
Considering chassis are now built to a rigid specification, as are engines, (long gone are the days of 3.0L V12s and V8s), I think the argument for F1 having become a spec series is valid. The purist may argue it isn't a spec series, however it certainly looks like it's heading that way.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2728488)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah I think so, and then we can switch to wrestling with no guilty feeling at all.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2728493)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
People want to see the drivers in identical cars so they can work out who is THE best driver, once and for all, but it's pointless. Even if everyone's got the same car, some teams will be better than others.

I think people should accept the sport for what it is instead of chasing this holy grail.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2728499)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
No, I couldn't watch wrestling! The competitors are often grossly mis-matched. Oh, wait though........

I don't particularly want a 'spec' series. I just don't see the point in having a runaway 'spending competition'. Which I think is what 'Nige' was getting at.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2728517)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still think the best solution for F1 is to become a reality show.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2728518)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No, I couldn't watch wrestling! The competitors are often grossly mis-matched. Oh, wait though........

I don't particularly want a 'spec' series. I just don't see the point in having a runaway 'spending competition'. Which I think is what 'Nige' was getting at.
Didn't he say in that article that it cost $110,000,000 to run an F1 team?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2728523)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I still think the best solution for F1 is to become a reality show.
As opposed to the current format that is devoid of reality.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2728534)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Didn't he say in that article that it cost $110,000,000 to run an F1 team?
Not including the 'motorhomes'.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2728535)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
As opposed to the current format that is devoid of reality.
It has often been said that the current F1 paddock has no idea of what is going on in the real world.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2728536)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Not including the 'motorhomes'.
Red Bull have a swimming pool; I wonder how long it will be until everyone else will copy them. After all everyone has now copied the McLaren's f-duct, so it must be only a matter of time.