Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 May 2006, 11:09 (Ref:1614136)   #1
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WTCC Brands Hatch Paddock & Pit Passes not what they seem?

According to someone on the official BTCC forums, the "Paddock and Pit Passes" that MSV were selling for this weekends WTCC meeting are only valid for the pit walkabout and are not general access to paddock as the website led us to believe. This guy says he recieved a letter from MSV telling him this, although I didn't recieve one and I wondered whether anybody else has. This is ridiculous, surely something that says "Weekend GP Paddock & Pit Pass" means a pass for the GP paddock and pits?
Old 19 May 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1614175)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think that's normal practice isn't it? I certainly wouldn't expect unrestricted paddock access - there's no way that would be possible purely from a safety point of view, the inner paddock is crowded at the best of time with cars constantly moving about so to allow people to wander around freely is asking for trouble. I would expect that the outer paddock will have general access throughout the weekend (no pass needed).
Old 19 May 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1614221)   #3
McKay
Racer

But if they put "Weekend GP Paddock & Pit Pass" that would imply that the pass gives you access to the GP Paddock, the inner one. It's just the way they phrased it both on the ticket and on the website.
Old 19 May 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1614230)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, in 2003 for the Champcar, I had a paddock pass and that granted access for both the inner and outer paddock there....

They may have done these tickets purposefully for the pitlane walkabout so not just anybody can get in so it's not too crowded - however, I haven't seen the tickets (nor when they were being sold).
Old 19 May 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1614281)   #5
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also had a weekend paddock and pit pass for the Champ car in 2003 and it was money well spent, the teams were happy to talk to you and answer any questions you had and the drivers were friendly and approachable. When the A1 Grand Prix was at Brands last year and promised to be the friendly equivalent to F1 I jumped at the chance to get the pit and paddock passes. When my friend and I went to enter the Inner pits the marshal laughed and said something along the lines of “You were expecting to get in the pits like the Indy car weren’t you. Sorry lads you can only come in for the specified times”. The times were for about half an hour on Friday and Saturday and an hour on Sunday. Of course this meant the pits were jammed with people and obviously the teams can’t speak to hundreds of people in half an hour. If I remember rightly it was 30 pounds each for a weekend pit and paddock pass we felt totally ripped off! phone up and ask what you get for your money I will in future
Old 19 May 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1614388)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
May I suggest that if you are unsure what you are getting, rather than rely on quotes from another forum, you telephone MSV and ask yourself? That way you will get the correct answer and you can then choose whether to buy the pass or not.

Last edited by Stephen Green; 19 May 2006 at 18:36.
Old 19 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1614400)   #7
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would assume that there are time restrictions on them, although at a lot of big events I've been to (FIA-GT, LMS etc.), you could go into the paddock at any time, although obviously not the actually pit lane. However, they were at places like Silverstone, Spa, and the 'Ring, which have a lot more space than Brands.
Old 19 May 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1614475)   #8
McKay
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
May I suggest that if you are unsure what you are getting, rather than rely on quotes from another forum, you telephone MSV and ask yourself? That way you will get the correct answer and you can then choose whether to buy the pass or not.
I already have it, and now I've heard these things. That's why I'm so irate. Should have made that more clear.
Old 28 May 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1621471)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did anyone get one of these, because I noticed that they are also doing the same thing for the DTM in a months time. I decieded to give it a miss.
Old 28 May 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1621498)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I meant to ask, was anyone asked for tickets during the Sunday pit lane walkabout? didn't go myself but judging by the number of people and the speed that they came through the paddock gate and across the circuit it didn't look like anyone was checking.

If so then what actually where these tickets for?
Old 29 May 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1621767)   #11
McKay
Racer

They looked at them but I reckon people could have got through without them, it was very busy.
Old 29 May 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1621843)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's normally pretty easy to merge yourself in with the crowd and get through....(no, I wasn't there!).
Old 10 Jul 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2724559)   #13
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent
Ferlaren should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think that's normal practice isn't it? I certainly wouldn't expect unrestricted paddock access - there's no way that would be possible purely from a safety point of view, the inner paddock is crowded at the best of time with cars constantly moving about so to allow people to wander around freely is asking for trouble. I would expect that the outer paddock will have general access throughout the weekend (no pass needed).
Actually, you're wrong. The paddock is usually open to main events except the BTCC (restricted to corporate/team guests and VIPs only).
Old 10 Jul 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2724566)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Any particular reason why you've just re-opened a 4-year-old thread?
Old 10 Jul 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2724570)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 11 Jul 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2724683)   #16
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think someone has got the wrong end of the stick here.I take it the 'inner' paddock means the area behind the pits,which has never to my knowledge been open to the public.It had always been possible to buy a ticket for the 'outer' paddock,at least until my last visit for A1GP in 2005!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 07:47 (Ref:2724701)   #17
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Come, Come, dont let a small thing like that get in the way of a good argument!!
Old 11 Jul 2010, 08:00 (Ref:2724706)   #18
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In all fairness at a big event such as WTCC or DTM why would you want to go to the inside paddock? All you will see is trailers and tents.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2725511)   #19
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
I think someone has got the wrong end of the stick here.I take it the 'inner' paddock means the area behind the pits,which has never to my knowledge been open to the public.It had always been possible to buy a ticket for the 'outer' paddock,at least until my last visit for A1GP in 2005!
The paddock restriction only applies to BTCC races e.g. due to the size of the crowds, the paddock can only be accessed by corporate guests and VIPs. MSV have paddock passes for DTM, A1GP (until it went bankrupt) and WTCC.

Last edited by Ferlaren; 12 Jul 2010 at 14:50.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2725516)   #20
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
None of your business
Old 12 Jul 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2725521)   #21
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
In all fairness at a big event such as WTCC or DTM why would you want to go to the inside paddock? All you will see is trailers and tents.
Excuse me, but check the Brands Hatch website and there you will find DTM paddock passes!! The passes for WTCC can only be bought from the Megastore.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2725558)   #22
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Er because MSV sell paddock passes for both series! And you've forgotten drivers too
Old 12 Jul 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2725589)   #23
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has me even more baffled.Since when was there a 'huge' crowd for the BTCC? Evidence of my eyes of TV coverage of recent rounds less spectators visable than were at the smallest clubbies I attended in the 60 s & 70s.You could buy a paddock ticket for F1.In later days after they built the stupid pits garages there was a pits walkabout during the lunch break.As 'tux' says I cannot recall any reason to visit the VIP cark park behind the pits.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2725617)   #24
Ferlaren
Rookie

United Kingdom
Orpington, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
This has me even more baffled.Since when was there a 'huge' crowd for the BTCC? Evidence of my eyes of TV coverage of recent rounds less spectators visable than were at the smallest clubbies I attended in the 60 s & 70s.You could buy a paddock ticket for F1.In later days after they built the stupid pits garages there was a pits walkabout during the lunch break.As 'tux' says I cannot recall any reason to visit the VIP cark park behind the pits.
As already discussed, the BTCC paddock at Brands Hatch is closed to the paying public. Every other major event except Superleague Formula is open to the public via a paddock pass either online or from the Megastore.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2726284)   #25
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You don't need a pass for the WTCC anyway. In my experience the drivers do plenty of appearances on the spectator's side of the fence if that's what you're after.