Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 18 Oct 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3319641)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2013 MavTV 500 at Fontana

Once again, the 2013 IndyCar title will be decided at the season finale. This time it's a 500-mile race at Fontana. Dixon or Castroneves will be champion. Let's hope that it's a clean, fair, thrilling race.

The Penske trio qualified 1-2-3 (Power, Castroneves, Allmendinger). Dixon was 7th, Kimball 5th, Kanaan 12th, Tagliani 13th. Wilson, Mann (who is a woman) and Sato had no time. But grid penalties will change that.

Carlos Muñoz is replacing Ernesto Viso:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
"Maybe he's got the oval-track flu," said one mechanic
Old 19 Oct 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3319807)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Power on pole.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110728
Old 19 Oct 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3319963)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

Carlos Muñoz is replacing Ernesto Viso:
Money problems... affecting a lot of Venezuelan drivers apparently...
http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268756/con...tguid=dMJWTD0u
Old 20 Oct 2013, 02:46 (Ref:3320282)   #4
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is the point distribution in indycars?
In this moment Castroneves is first an Dixon is 8th who is champion?
Old 20 Oct 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3320441)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Congratulations to Dixon and Power. I felt sorry for Bourdais. Wilson more of course and I hope he has a speedy recovery. Castroneves chances was never anything but slim.

I hope I missed at least one grandstand with people in it because I hardly saw more than twenty spectators otherwise!
Old 20 Oct 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3320443)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Well, that was attritional. Some crazy racing, some scary shunts (Just seen that Wilson has a fractured pelvis btw....ouch) and a champion crowned.

Great season. Worthy champ.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3320492)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was a good season - 10 winners?
Happy for Dixon & Power
Old 20 Oct 2013, 15:16 (Ref:3320551)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Couldn't get a feed for love or money, otherwise congrats to Dixon on his third title and congrats to Power finishing not the best of seasons on an oval. I hope Justin Wilson makes a speedy recovery.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3320628)   #9
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Variables.
That was as close to a good old IndyCar race as I am likely to ever see, and still see it as far too little, far too late.

Best wishes to Justin for a speedy recovery, he is deservedly one of the top ten drivers in this lineup due to his skill, not his equipment.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3320692)   #10
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was brutal. Half the grid gone due to shunts, spins, overheating and other gremlins.

Congratulations to Will Power even if his post-race interview seemed to be more about sticking it in Ed Carpenter's face for some long-ago slight than anything else. And of course to Scott Dixon and Ganassi, perfect strategy taking lots of time to clean out the radiator intakes and stick new rubber on late in the race.

And... did Roger Penske really blow that pit call for Helio... twice? Certainly the first time. Just wow.

Meanwhile, I guess I'm off to the news and rumours thread to see which sponsors have deserted the series today. Sigh.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3320752)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Phew! That's was a heartbreaker. I'm very disappointed that Hélio lost the championship yet again. And this time I watched it all. I hope that he gets another chance next year.

So congratulations to Dixon and Ganassi. They also tried really hard to get it.

What can I say? The race was very intense to see. If someone doesn't enjoy it, then leave motorsport and switch to card games. All drivers had to fight the cars, the track and the weather. Only a third managed to cross the finish line. My lungs are still out of air - and I was seating in a couch eating peanuts.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3320757)   #12
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth, we went to the Indycar race last night in Fontana. I can't remember that last open-wheel race that we actually attended in person, but we were in Indianapolis last weekend and did the Dallara factory tour, came back to LA, and they were kind enough to be having an Indycar race at a time where we were free. We made the decision to attend the race the day before, bought tickets on-line, and went to the race on Saturday.

The crowd was far bigger than I would have expected. Obviously not as big as a NASCAR race and they had many seats in turn 1 & 4 roped off. We sat up high a few sections past the start finish line. There were empty seats, but it seemed like easily more than half of the seats had people in them.

There were a lot of people with team and driver shirts and hats. Again, not as much as NASCAR, but more than I was expecting. The other surprise is that so many people were yelling and cheering in the stands - the biggest cheers were for Helio early in the race as he made some amazing passes and Charlie as he led before going out. It was nice to see enthusiasm.

It was also cool to see some demonstration laps at speed with various vintage Indycars. These were done between the Indy lights race and the Indycar race.

My take? We had a great time and would go again to this race. The race was fantastic - there was a lot of very close racing and side-by-side racing that had people in the stands screaming. It was a lot of fun and was easily worth the money we paid.

Having said that, I wouldn't have traveled from another city to attend the race like we used to do in the CART days. We only attended because we had it fresh in our mind from the Dallara tour, we could make a late decision to go, it was easy to get tickets, and we could easily drive to/from the event.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3320831)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed the race from the TV. The saturday night timeslot allowed for a nice 12noon race start in Sydney. Much better than the early morning rises for the Sunday afternoon races.

Multi lane tracks allow for such great racing and the attrition is what 500miles is all about.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3320936)   #14
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was a very good race and worthy of being the final as well as the championship-deciding race of the year. It seems like every underdog driver and team decided this time: "This is the last race. Screw the points. We're going for the win". Everyone raced hard and attrition was huge.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3320976)   #15
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome race! Congrats to Dixon and Power, great effort from both.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3321002)   #16
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched half the race live and went to bed. We had family visiting that were leaving early Sunday morning.
I watched the second half on Saturday morning.

I was pleasantly surprised.
For one, the crowd was larger than I'd expected. I'm sure a lot of those seats were filled with giveaway seats through sponsors and local media outlets. Either way, it was a decent crowd.

The first half of the race wasn't compelling enough to make me want to stay up. But what I saw in the second half had me glued to my seat! In the chat, I referred to this as "Yawntana", and I couldn't have been more wrong!
It's a shame that so few cars were still running at the end, but I think that's also a testament to how hard they were all pushing, too.

I still don't care about MavTV, though.
Old 22 Oct 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3321818)   #17
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tagliani was a treat to watch, too bad he crashed out, a nice finish would have helped in his efforts to find a ride but it looks as though his future is in sportscars now.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3322596)   #18
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I find interesting is that while people will rattle on and on about the carnage at street-course races, and how they should be dropped from the schedule, I'm hearing no such rhetoric about Fontana, which had a heck of a lot more retirements than the street circuits did this year (unless my memory is faulty?).

They should dump this race. Half the field out because of spins, shunts and mechanical failures? This is entertainment? The much ballyhooed championship fight essentially came down to tire management and mechanical issues. Woo. It was really exciting early on when Castroneves actually took the lead... and then... fizzled.

If it sounds like I'm trolling/agitating - I'm not. Although I watched the whole race because I was excited by the championship outcome, I really don't see this as a useful addition/retention to the schedule.

Thoughts?

Last edited by rwintle; 24 Oct 2013 at 14:26. Reason: more guff
Old 24 Oct 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3322684)   #19
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
IndyCar posts lowest-ever viewership on NBCSN. Avg cable viewership per race (228K) down 64% since '08 (778K).

IndyCar Series Sees TV Viewership Down 22%, Including Lowest NBCSN Audience Yet

The Izod IndyCar Series saw its viewership drop 22% for 19 race telecasts across ABC and NBCSN compared to 15 telecasts last season. The series averaged 953,000 viewers, down from 1.2 million viewers last season.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...a/IndyCar.aspx
Old 24 Oct 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3322706)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Is it possible to get the rest of this article, as the last sentence, which is incomplete says "While IndyCar did see a drop in average viewership, an increase in the number...?

I for one would like to know what this increase is?
Old 24 Oct 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3322707)   #21
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^^^ Sorry, not a subscriber. Anyone here?
Old 24 Oct 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3322711)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
^^^ Sorry, not a subscriber. Anyone here?
A subscription is not exactly cheap.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3323081)   #23
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Race attendance?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3324648)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers winning races?
Old 5 Nov 2013, 00:06 (Ref:3327303)   #25
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
What I find interesting is that while people will rattle on and on about the carnage at street-course races, and how they should be dropped from the schedule, I'm hearing no such rhetoric about Fontana, which had a heck of a lot more retirements than the street circuits did this year (unless my memory is faulty?).

They should dump this race. Half the field out because of spins, shunts and mechanical failures? This is entertainment? The much ballyhooed championship fight essentially came down to tire management and mechanical issues. Woo. It was really exciting early on when Castroneves actually took the lead... and then... fizzled.

If it sounds like I'm trolling/agitating - I'm not. Although I watched the whole race because I was excited by the championship outcome, I really don't see this as a useful addition/retention to the schedule.

Thoughts?
The seams on the track surface need repaired. Maybe a repave. And I think the race should be broken down, make it two 150-200 mile "sprint" races. But I think most of the races should be standing start double-headers instead of the Indy 500.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)