Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2001, 16:14 (Ref:119236)   #1
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Are Under Weight F1 Cars Made Legal?

How are some of the highly financed F1 teams building there cars considerably under weight? But yet when they are weighed for the race they end up legal?

Art

Last edited by Artwinter; 19 Jul 2001 at 16:18.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 16:29 (Ref:119247)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't they stick a load of ballast into the chassis?

(That or get Mansell in the car... )
Old 19 Jul 2001, 17:01 (Ref:119265)   #3
Artwinter
Rookie

Manardi Fan.

You are partiially right but what kind of ballast is used and where is it actuall installed and what do they gain by using it?

Art.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 17:22 (Ref:119273)   #4
Artwinter
Rookie

Sorry Minardi Fan.

Art.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 17:54 (Ref:119293)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Artwinter
Manardi Fan.

You are partiially right but what kind of ballast is used and where is it actuall installed and what do they gain by using it?

Art.
The ballst is a series of metallic weights in arcane highly dense metals, bolted low in the chassis to lower the center of gravity. I understand that the mounting locations vary from circuit to circuit as optimum balance is sought.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 18:14 (Ref:119300)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that they are using depleted uranium. At least they did that a couple of years ago, and I remember some talking about this issue, since it is a highly expensive material. And alegedly health hazardous. They are placed at the lowest point at the car (I don’t have time right now to check my points, I’ll come back tomorrow, but I’m sure that the positions of the ballast are highly regulated) and the purpose is to alter the centre of gravity. Both in vertical plane (to make it as low as possible) and horizontal (helping for adjusting the car’s balance, the oversteering/understeering tendencies of the car. The first goal one is clear, make the CG it as low as possible; the later is adjusted during the friday/saturday/warm-up practice sessions as by driver’s requests.

Just a correction, not only the highly funded teams manage to make cars lighter that 600kg. Every one of them can do that; the difference is the amount of ballast that a team has to add (thus offering a greater flexibility and a more stable car)
Old 19 Jul 2001, 20:15 (Ref:119354)   #7
Artwinter
Rookie

A year or so ago I read an article that mcLaren was using Tungsten slugs in the wooden plank. This way they were adding weight as low as possible and could change the balance of the car as desired. It also lowered the center of gravit one inch. They also said that the cost of these Tungsten slugged planks was 160,000 pounds a year.I have to admit that they have some great engineers in F1.

Art
Old 19 Jul 2001, 21:45 (Ref:119406)   #8
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
I believe that they are using depleted uranium. At least they did that a couple of years ago, and I remember some talking about this issue, since it is a highly expensive material. And alegedly health hazardous.
Depleted Uranium (DU) is used primarily in weaponry as a denser substitute for lead. Here is a faq from http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/faq_17apr.htm

Q. What makes depleted uranium a potential hazard?

A. Depleted uranium is a heavy metal that is also slightly radioactive. Heavy metals (uranium, lead, tungsten, etc.) have chemical toxicity properties that, in high doses, can cause adverse health effects. Depleted uranium that remains outside the body can not harm you.

A common misconception is that radiation is depleted uranium's primary hazard. This is not the case under most battlefield exposure scenarios. Depleted uranium is approximately 40 percent less radioactive than natural uranium. Depleted uranium emits alpha and beta particles, and gamma rays. Alpha particles, the primary radiation type produced by depleted uranium, are blocked by skin, while beta particles are blocked by the boots and battle dress utility uniform (BDUs) typically worn by service members. While gamma rays are a form of highly-penetrating energy , the amount of gamma radiation emitted by depleted uranium is very low. Thus, depleted uranium does not significantly add to the background radiation
that we encounter every day.

Last edited by eatapc; 19 Jul 2001 at 21:45.
Old 19 Jul 2001, 23:05 (Ref:119432)   #9
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A team was also looking at using a form of hydraulic system to push liquid around the car so provide the optimum handling in every corner of a track (sound like the active suspension days), currently the just use static weights as was mentioned. But the FIA quashed the idea because of the costs and the potential danger of superheated liquid burning mechanics. I do not remember where I read or this so I hope someone can back me up. Also To gain extra weight in the car Johnny Herbert used to **** in his cockpit
Old 20 Jul 2001, 04:40 (Ref:119504)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, that’s why I said allegedly. Unlike the ammunition, the ballast does not explode or otherwise spread small particles all around. It’s much like the Be-alloys affaire. Beryllium (or its oxides) could be toxic; if swallowed, inhaled...
-----------
Champ, now THAT would be some “active ballancing”
Old 20 Jul 2001, 04:56 (Ref:119507)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Oh! Poo!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: (that's my smelly smilie) , and that can have a distinct effect on the dirty air for following cars.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 05:14 (Ref:119512)   #12
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My message was censored. The **** was pea. I have read a few stories about drivers peaing in their cars. Apparently Johnny Herbert was one of the worst. The funniest one was when one of the Stewart mechanics was trying to find out what a strange liquid was coming out of Johnny’s car on the pre-grid only to find out it was urine.

Jacky to Johnny: “pit on lap 28 for fuel, tyre and nappy change”
Old 20 Jul 2001, 06:44 (Ref:119525)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
My message was censored. The **** was pea. I have read a few stories about drivers peaing in their cars. Apparently Johnny Herbert was one of the worst. The funniest one was when one of the Stewart mechanics was trying to find out what a strange liquid was coming out of Johnny’s car on the pre-grid only to find out it was urine.

Jacky to Johnny: “pit on lap 28 for fuel, tyre and nappy change”
????????????????????????????????????
Old 20 Jul 2001, 09:19 (Ref:119555)   #14
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah - well known strange piece of F1 information - Johnny Herbert always used to pee in the car on the grid before a race...
Old 20 Jul 2001, 18:55 (Ref:119735)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...Things I wish I didn't know....:confused:
Old 20 Jul 2001, 20:49 (Ref:119764)   #16
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is why when interviewed with questions like, " How did it go today Johnny? "

"Really good Louise, we ****ed it in"
Old 20 Jul 2001, 21:43 (Ref:119786)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I agree with Eero on this one..
Old 20 Jul 2001, 22:19 (Ref:119801)   #18
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Ralf Kelleners and Didier Theys knew this when they teamed up with Herbert for the 24 hours of LeMans? Would you want to be Johnny's co-driver?
Old 21 Jul 2001, 01:49 (Ref:119833)   #19
Artwinter
Rookie

Why don't you guys quit being arse holes and stick to the subject?

Art
Old 21 Jul 2001, 05:58 (Ref:119857)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Art please refrain from calling our posters...Well you know! Calm down have a nice cup of tea..
Old 21 Jul 2001, 06:50 (Ref:119860)   #21
Alan Jones
Veteran

Art,
you were a lot nicer when you were Gwen
Old 21 Jul 2001, 17:21 (Ref:120000)   #22
Artwinter
Rookie

Alan Jones.

Nuthing personal against you. But there was no reason turning a good post into a driver urinating in the car. Don't you think it was rather childish?

Art
Old 21 Jul 2001, 20:10 (Ref:120041)   #23
Alan Jones
Veteran

To be honest Art, I thought it was an interesting piece of trivia and I actually found it rather amusing,which is why I come here so often.
The chance to talk F1 and have a giggle with some likeminded people is a good break from the reality of everyday life. I'm sure Champ69 posted with the same attitude, he didn't want to wreck your thread, just thought he'd share something amusing with us all.

Many threads deviate from the original topic which is normal, the same thing happens in conversations between people all over the world. You Know, one thing leads to another......

All the best Art, if your thread goes off track, give it a gentle nudge back, and away you go again. Keep Smilin'

AJ
Old 21 Jul 2001, 20:30 (Ref:120044)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there any kind of reservatory for that thing ?

And... hey... they should do some kind of anti-doping in the drivers...

...some driver's liquid can be inflammable !!
Old 21 Jul 2001, 22:19 (Ref:120068)   #25
Artwinter
Rookie

Bononi.

Yes they call it a urnal. What do you want Porta Potties in each car? I can see them now pulling a trailor with an out house on it. Which would slow the cars down.

Art.