Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2014, 23:37 (Ref:3375113)   #251
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Why should we pay Foxtel to watch v8's for something that has been FTA for donkey's years. I know there will be some still on FTA but the crux of the matter is from 2015 if you want to watch the v8's on tv more than 6 times on FTA you will have to connect with Foxtel. This little black duck wont be getting Foxtel due to limted finance's (on pension) and on principle I refuse to pay for something that was free to air. The V8's will lose me next year.
every race is on FTA- EVERY RACE - just not every race is live and some will have a highlights package, but we already get a highlights package so no change there

but if you dont want Foxtel and enjoy the benefits of it, Dont stop those of us who want the benefits.

Thats the thing about choice
Old 5 Mar 2014, 00:03 (Ref:3375117)   #252
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
just not every race is live and some will have a highlights package, but we already get a highlights package so no change there
That is an extreme example of the use of individual interpretation of information.

The above aside, the 2014 Clipsal 500 saw reduced overall attendance and tv figures on FTA.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3375137)   #253
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
every race is on FTA- EVERY RACE - just not every race is live and some will have a highlights package, but we already get a highlights package so no change there

but if you dont want Foxtel and enjoy the benefits of it, Dont stop those of us who want the benefits.

Thats the thing about choice
So the 3-5 hrs of live (or close to) coverage becomes a 1 hour highlights package is 'no change there'? You really want to stand by that argument?

And nobody is suggesting that it shouldn't be on Foxtel - the discussion is about how much should be available on FTA.

Some people can't afford to pay the $900 per year for Foxtel.

That's the thing about choice - not everybody has one.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3375140)   #254
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
That is an extreme example of the use of individual interpretation of information.

The above aside, the 2014 Clipsal 500 saw reduced overall attendance and tv figures on FTA.
Don't have attendance figures but TV figures (All City Metro):

Saturday 2013 - 557,000
Saturday 2014 - Race 1: 381.000 Race 2: 460,000
Sunday 2013 - 694,000
Sunday 2014 - 647,000

So it looks like two-race format, or the twilight race didn't pull the increased numbers, and you're dropping 50K from last year on the Sunday.

All figures courtesty of TV Tonight.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 01:55 (Ref:3375155)   #255
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foxtel have just cut their nose off to spite their face. They rave about shutting down piracy etc of shows (like that will ever happen!), then they (along with Warburton, Ten & Co) marginalise the bread & butter supporter by locking up full coverage in an ill-timed & ill-advised exclusivity arrangement.

With barely 24% viewing penetration in this country for PayTV (declining every year since a high of 29% in 2009, decreasing to 28% in 2012 and now to just over 24% in 2014), that leaves a huge majority swinging in the breeze and of that remaining percentage, you can certainly include the bread & butter families who view most rounds on FTA, then go to the track and support via merchandise sold, and to whom sponsors have wagered a lot of advertising budget on FTA during the typical 2+ hours of coverage.

Warburton is pulling far more than his negotiating pad out if he thinks that simply by adding V8Supercars to a full multi-season exclusivity deal with Foxtel, that those bread & butter families who make up by far the largest % of the other 76% who haven't got PayTV in this country, who couldn't afford the putrid, self absorbed, self promoting monolith that is Foxtel before, can all of a sudden find the dollars to cough up for a package?
It's not that they don't want to, it's that they cannot afford it - especially in this age of companies shutting down and people getting laid off everywhere!
Christ almighty, it's not rocket science we're talking about.

... and Warburton has the hide to say, "There will be more eyeballs than ever (watching under the new deal)."

This so-called media superstar, who considers he is doing such great things for V8 Supertaxis in this country has walked away from the fan base that not only put the series on the map, but supported it through some damn lean times.

It will without any doubt signal a sharp decline in viewership (for obvious reasons), then cascade to less sponsor support, less merchandise sold and less interest in it overall. Tally that to the fact that there are major competing (and other newly emerging) View-On-Demand services available streaming from the 'Net - all totally legal and far, far cheaper than Foxtel, as well as the fact that PayTV in this country is one of, if not the lowest uptake of PayTV anywhere in the developed world - and declining each year!

Tell me how that's supposed to add up to the rosy picture that Warbs, Foxtel & Ten are serving up to us, Sponsors and anyone really attached to the series, to swallow?

Great "Thank you" to leave motorsport supporters in this country with, Warbsy boy. Well done.

Last edited by sweetchuk; 5 Mar 2014 at 02:22.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 03:09 (Ref:3375167)   #256
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Alright so the question is how do we all get together and communicate this to the people that matter? Team sponsorship people, V8SA management, Foxtel management?
Since V$upercars won't listen to us, the fans, lets bring pressure to bear on them by contacting someone they'll have to listen to.

The sponsors. Doesn't matter if they sponsor a car, driver, or the whole series. Start contacting them and let them know just how much product
exposure they stand to loose in 2015. Even if it's sponsor with a stamp sized sticker on the rocker panels. Contact 'em.

So far I've 'done' Red Bull, Fuchs, Dunlop, Enzed, Wilson Security,Linde & SP tools. Jack Daniels next.

A Facebook page? Twitter. Don't go near 'em myself, but plenty do.

How about an online petition to make our anger at this betrayal known?

A decade ago, one email from me to a sponsor was followed up the team manager contacting me about my concerns.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:03 (Ref:3375179)   #257
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very good idea as a matter of fact as soon as I get of here I will start.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:14 (Ref:3375181)   #258
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The same people who complain about Foxtel should be complaining about possibly having 2 rounds in the USA next year. They will both be unwatchable live for pretty much everyone is Aus due to the timezone.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3375188)   #259
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
The same people who complain about Foxtel should be complaining about possibly having 2 rounds in the USA next year. They will both be unwatchable live for pretty much everyone is Aus due to the timezone.
Actually you know what, I wouldn't complain about delayed but full coverage on FTA. But highlights only is a step too far for me.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3375193)   #260
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Disagree.
Reason 1: A delayed, but full length, broadcast is better that a 1 hour highlights package each day.
Reason 2: A delayed, but full length, broadcast at a convenient time for free is better that a live full length broadcast that I have to pay for at a time when I would be at or going to work anyway (Monday morning).
I was happy with how ch7/73 broadcast the COTA race last year.

With regard to the rounds that FTA is not showing live - the "live" issue is not a great concern to me. I usually time shift with the PVR anyway, try to avoid hearing the result, and watch that night. But I still get the whole race except for what the ads chop out. A much reduced "highlights package" is a very disappointing move.

Last edited by RedZedMikey; 5 Mar 2014 at 05:01.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:51 (Ref:3375194)   #261
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Actually you know what, I wouldn't complain about delayed but full coverage on FTA. But highlights only is a step too far for me.
Same here. Highlights packages are a waste of time. Once they say hello and welcome, then show a qualifying clip, a couple of driver interviews and then put their commercials in you don't get to see enough to make the whole exercise worth while.

Just look at what Speedweek do with the coverage of the Australian GT Championship, they waste far too much time talking to drivers when they could be showing racing.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 05:04 (Ref:3375198)   #262
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the bid that Channel 7 put in to try and retain the rights ever leaked?

One wonders how a FTA Channel 7 deal (presumebly for less $$$ than the Foxtel/Ten deal) might have stacked up against what Channel 10 are showing next year.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 05:22 (Ref:3375203)   #263
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Alright so the question is how do we all get together and communicate this to the people that matter? Team sponsorship people, V8SA management, Foxtel management?
I'm quite happy with the coverage going to foxtel. I am already a subscriber for other sports and the promise of greater content is something I am looking forward to.

If only it could happen sooner.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3375312)   #264
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuk View Post
Foxtel have just cut their nose off to spite their face. They rave about shutting down piracy etc of shows (like that will ever happen!), then they (along with Warburton, Ten & Co) marginalise the bread & butter supporter by locking up full coverage in an ill-timed & ill-advised exclusivity arrangement.

With barely 24% viewing penetration in this country for PayTV (declining every year since a high of 29% in 2009, decreasing to 28% in 2012 and now to just over 24% in 2014), that leaves a huge majority swinging in the breeze and of that remaining percentage, you can certainly include the bread & butter families who view most rounds on FTA, then go to the track and support via merchandise sold, and to whom sponsors have wagered a lot of advertising budget on FTA during the typical 2+ hours of coverage.

Warburton is pulling far more than his negotiating pad out if he thinks that simply by adding V8Supercars to a full multi-season exclusivity deal with Foxtel, that those bread & butter families who make up by far the largest % of the other 76% who haven't got PayTV in this country, who couldn't afford the putrid, self absorbed, self promoting monolith that is Foxtel before, can all of a sudden find the dollars to cough up for a package?
It's not that they don't want to, it's that they cannot afford it - especially in this age of companies shutting down and people getting laid off everywhere!
Christ almighty, it's not rocket science we're talking about.

... and Warburton has the hide to say, "There will be more eyeballs than ever (watching under the new deal)."

This so-called media superstar, who considers he is doing such great things for V8 Supertaxis in this country has walked away from the fan base that not only put the series on the map, but supported it through some damn lean times.

It will without any doubt signal a sharp decline in viewership (for obvious reasons), then cascade to less sponsor support, less merchandise sold and less interest in it overall. Tally that to the fact that there are major competing (and other newly emerging) View-On-Demand services available streaming from the 'Net - all totally legal and far, far cheaper than Foxtel, as well as the fact that PayTV in this country is one of, if not the lowest uptake of PayTV anywhere in the developed world - and declining each year!

Tell me how that's supposed to add up to the rosy picture that Warbs, Foxtel & Ten are serving up to us, Sponsors and anyone really attached to the series, to swallow?

Great "Thank you" to leave motorsport supporters in this country with, Warbsy boy. Well done.
GREAT could not agree any more with you, you've said it all I will be walking away from V8's in 2015 but I will still my get motor sport fix by going to more club meets and attending the 12hr again.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3375548)   #265
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
GREAT could not agree any more with you, you've said it all I will be walking away from V8's in 2015 but I will still my get motor sport fix by going to more club meets and attending the 12hr again.
Why walk away? You obviously care enough and it's still great entertainment. Why not enjoy the six rounds that are free - including Bathurst and not do the rest.

I don't have, and am not planning to get, Foxtel and I'm not impressed about the highlights package. But I still get to see more V8 rounds on FTA than I do of my favourite football teams, so I'm grateful that at least the big events are still on.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3375552)   #266
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Came across this on that new AutoFore website (mentioned in another post).

All Access 9: Edward Krause dissects V8 Supercars' 2015 television arrangement.

I think most of it's already been discussed here but might still be worth a read.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 00:41 (Ref:3375586)   #267
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Come 2015 when ch10 have there 8.30pm highlight's package it will be very hard too not know the results already, can bet your bottom dollar ch7 will have the results on the 6pm news in full to really rub salt into the wounds at ch10.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 01:19 (Ref:3375591)   #268
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Come 2015 when ch10 have there 8.30pm highlight's package it will be very hard too not know the results already, can bet your bottom dollar ch7 will have the results on the 6pm news in full to really rub salt into the wounds at ch10.
Not too mention all the various Facebook feeds that cover motorsport which even spoil results this year let alone next year with the added delay.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3375595)   #269
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
They're more likely to not show the results at all than give it any promotion.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 23:34 (Ref:3388486)   #270
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FACE OF THE GRID

POPULAR Channel 7 personality Matthew White continues to be strongly linked with a return to Channel 10 to head up its motorsport coverage next year.

White has been the face of V8s for the past 15 seasons and would be a brilliant addition as part of the new broadcast deal between Ten and Fox Sports.

Story down the bottom of the page here

I don't know in what bizarro world that this could be classed as "brilliant"
Old 4 Apr 2014, 01:15 (Ref:3388501)   #271
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far out, the telecast moving was giving me hope we wouldn't have to put up with him any more!

And the face for 15 years? Bill Woods, Greg Rust, Neil Crompton et al might have something to say about that!

They really need someone like Aaron Noonan for this role. In my opinion he has a lot more cred.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 01:26 (Ref:3388503)   #272
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
FACE OF THE GRID

POPULAR Channel 7 personality Matthew White continues to be strongly linked with a return to Channel 10 to head up its motorsport coverage next year.

White has been the face of V8s for the past 15 seasons and would be a brilliant addition as part of the new broadcast deal between Ten and Fox Sports.

Story down the bottom of the page here

I don't know in what bizarro world that this could be classed as "brilliant"
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3388511)   #273
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they ****ing kidding? Matthew White brings no value whatsoever to the telecast. Instead of just anchoring the broadcast and throwing to and from segments and commercials, like a typical TV talking head, he now thinks he's a commentator and tries to call the bloody races!

****, I could do a better job than him, much better.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 04:29 (Ref:3388521)   #274
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be the nail in the coffin for me, cant stand him at all and was hoping it'd be the end of him.

Was thinking the other day, i wouldn't wish death upon him, but a good side effect would be him not on the telecast anymore, so was hoping he'd leave of his own free will
Old 4 Apr 2014, 05:44 (Ref:3388531)   #275
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!
Totally with you - I'll add in my own Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!