Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: What would encourage you to attend a VSCC event
I attend anyway 8 53.33%
More Historic racing 2 13.33%
More genuine vintage cars and fewer specials 4 26.67%
Nothing 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jan 2003, 11:04 (Ref:488182)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the Vintage Sports Car Club a bunch of sad old losers?

The Vintage Sports Car Club puts on several race meetings every year mostly for their sort of pre-war stuff. Do any of you Historic guys go to support them? If you don't, why?

I only ask because I am a long time competitor in their events and the VSCC seems to be courting more modern racers, putting on races for 1950's sports cars and old FF and Juniors and not just the pre-war cars and early post-war racing cars which are the cars eligible for the club.

Has this encouraged your support or are we just a load of sad old losers?
Old 28 Jan 2003, 11:33 (Ref:488205)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Losers? Hardly! Not even close, in fact.

I've been attending VSCC meetings, man and boy, for the last 30 years (I'm 35) and there is nothing to compare with the atmosphere of a Boulogne Trophy or a GP Itala Trophy meeting. My only sadness is that it takes more effort nowadays to convince people who've never been bitten by the vintage bug that it's just as likely they'll see exhilarating racing at a VSCC meeting as they will at a BTCC event.

I can accept the presence of the BRDC 50s Sportscars at VSCC meetings, because they have a clear lineage, I believe, with the cars which have traditionally been the meat of a vintage event. But I will confess that Historic Formula Ford is usually my cue to go and look for a cup of coffee, unless the grids are very, very big.

But if the truth be known, the reason I go to a VSCC meeting isn't for the post-war cars anyway. I've been under the spell of the vintage Bentley for my entire life, and it's for them that I attend. I also adore the big aero-engined specials, and the Edwardian Handicap that takes place at Mallory Park each year. And if you've never given the vintagents a try, I can only urge you to come along and see the most diverse grids in the racing calendar.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 14:15 (Ref:488357)   #3
squareleg
Rookie

squareleg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a few years since I attended a VSCC event, mainly due to other commitments etc - not a deliberate decision not to go. Therefore I wasn't aware that the more recent cars are now catered for, but with so many "historic" races at "normal" events these days, I think it diminishes the appeal.
The VSCC were always that little bit different, and seeing ERA's etc being wrestled around Cadwell Park was simply awe inspiring.
Bunch of losers? - NO WAY!
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:29 (Ref:488509)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm in the same boat as squareleg. I used to attend, but then I used to attend a lot of other events. Now I content myself with a visit to La Sarthe each year (or even twice, as in 2002). I used to thoroughly enjoy the VSCC evenbts though.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 17:54 (Ref:488532)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The losers are the folk who never attend or have never attended a VSCC meeting. What they are losing from their lives is the opportunity to witness a great mix of sights, sounds and smells. Ah...the Castrol R! As squareleg says, an ERA around Cadwell is something else!
Old 28 Jan 2003, 18:59 (Ref:488591)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I have a serious complaint about the VSCC - they don't have race meetings at Oulton Park nowadays. Looks like we may be paying a visit to Silverstone this year......
Old 29 Jan 2003, 08:18 (Ref:489120)   #7
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Absolutely not. it's soooo laid back at VSCC meetings, a healthy antidote to modern formulae. The scratch races and handicaps are very good fun to watch, but I would suggest that VSCC races need to be run on the 'right' sort of circuit. Long 'power' circuits often do the cars no justice, the casual spectator is used to seeing far higher speeds and spectacle at these tracks than can be provided by most of the cars taking part. Note the word 'casual', for many subscribers to this forum, and many 'hardcore' fans, I would imagine the pleasure comes from simply observing the cars. Quite often, I watch them pass and try very hard to blank out any 'modern' paraphenalia in order to see them in their original settings....
Old 29 Jan 2003, 08:57 (Ref:489137)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only VSCC event I've been to was what they termed a 'speed trial' at Brooklands. It was most entertaining.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 22:26 (Ref:491088)   #9
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC - losers??????

Aaaah - the VSCC...

To my mind, there is no more influential club in the UK than the VSCC. It's chock-full of barking mad car fiends but - let's face it - so are most car clubs. What sets the club apart is the members' total dedication to motorsport. Whilst most club racers are tucked up in bed, or enjoying a winter break, VSCC members are at Brooklands, or Clitheroe, or Exmoor, or Silverstone - and that's just January and February!

Last year I was competing at Silverstone in the Pomeroy Trophy - my first race meeting post ARDS-course - and the day started with horizontal snow. Did this upset the VSCC members? Er, no - even the Edwardian cars were lapping the National Circuit at an obscene rate

Of course I am biased - I've been following VSCC events since 1998, and have been a member since the Pom last year. But of all the clubs I've seen racing, none better the VSCC for style, dedication and attitude. Till you've seen a Tiger Moth-engined Riley lapping Silverstone, or an air-cooled V8 special with no seat belts, you ain't seen real racing

Nick Froome
www.bolide.co.uk
Old 31 Jan 2003, 06:32 (Ref:491401)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with all of the above. The VSCC is a great club full of barking mad enthusiasts. So what's the problem?

The inclusion of 50s Sportscars seems to me to be the thin end of a very large wedge. It won't be long before we revise the term "vintage" to that of our American cousins which includes (I believe) anything more than ten years old! That's my fear.

But the spectacle and the fun are still in the VSCC events and if I had time I would attend.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 07:05 (Ref:491417)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like you are lucky to have the VSCC (and the lovely cars). The backbone of historic racing in Australia would be the 60's and 70's touring cars, alhtough more and more openwheelers and sports cars seem to be emerging.

The historic category dates vary with the class of cars:

Sports and racing cars can now be categorised as historic up to 1987.
Production sports cars up to 1977.
Touring cars up to 1972 (I think?).

These dates change as time progresses. Except for the pure racing cars, 30 years old seems to be the point at which just plain old becomes historic. Of course, with a proper racing car, they can be just plain old after 1 year, so hence the lessor threshold.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 16:56 (Ref:497439)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Many thanks all of you for replying, it was a bit of a 'stir' but there is some disquiet in the Club at the promotions being undertaken to attract new spectators, last year it was Lotus.. which are completely ineligible for almost all VSCC events, the next big idea is a tribute to Ayrton Senna at Donnington???????

Am I missing something or is nmodern Formula One Racing no longer catered for elsewhere!

The VSCC is huge fun, I am one of those who races an Edwardian Road Car, (American, 1918, 6 litres, four cylinders 16 valves and dual ignition. Can you identify it?) and other stuff from time to time, all prewar. If I want to celebrate modern racing I go to a modern meeting.

What are the VSCC directors up to?

Steve McQueen.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 17:57 (Ref:497493)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So - you drive a Stutz Bearcat then?

Veeeery nice!!!
Old 5 Feb 2003, 18:27 (Ref:497530)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
eclectic - I guess the directors are trying to get as many paying punters through the gates as possible to offset the huge track hire costs imposed by the circuits these days. Once impressed by the VSCC racing, they will hopefully return. I guess there is a limit to the amount of paying public that attend a 'pure' VSCC event as we tend to be the hardcore fans. Attracting the Lotus fan clubs, Senna fans whatever would surely increase the gate - but I must admit, a Senna tribute at a VSCC meeting is a bit bizarre!
Old 9 Feb 2003, 11:18 (Ref:501297)   #15
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Tim D, come and introduce yourself at the Pom, maybe there would be time for you to take the Bearcat for a spin.!

Steve McQueen.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 09:32 (Ref:513224)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
So, any VSCC people on the forum going to the Pomeroy tomorrow?
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:09 (Ref:513501)   #17
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill be there for the pom tmrw (but im not a member ) will be around somewere in orange. See you all there
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:19 (Ref:513509)   #18
bolide
Rookie

Tiddly Pom

I'll be at Silverstone tomorrow taking snaps...

Last year I was competing, and great fun it was too - despite the snow

One of the best events in the calendar, I reckon!

Bolide Pomeroy Trophy Preview

Nick Froome
www.bolide.co.uk
Old 23 Feb 2003, 00:40 (Ref:514486)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
A fabulous event indeed - albeit somewhat tricky to get in to see if you're not actually a VSCC member.

Lots of favourites were to be found there - Peter Deffee's wonderfully idiosyncratic Rover P4, The glorious Edwardian Stutz and Mercer, Bentleys galore, and in the paddock, some of the most delightful Olde English Perpendicular Sunbeams I've seen.

Truly there is nothing to beat the Pom on a chilly February day. Well worth the cold and the effort involved in getting in.

Long may it continue.
Old 23 Feb 2003, 14:06 (Ref:514782)   #20
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, congratulations Eclectic and the others, barking enough to have braved such low temperatures at Silverstone yesterday. TimD will confirm that you won’t want to know that the temperature today (Sunday) is easily 10 degrees warmer and the sun is still shining. Well, was this morning. You looked to be having a great time.

Personally, my eye was taken by the wonderful vintage racers naturally, and a few of the cars in the support paddock, to about the 50s. That seriously original C-type, BMW 328s, the Frazer-Nashs and Bugattis, - just bliss. I’m sorry to have been ‘distracted’ by the 250 TDF Ferrari and Bentley specials, but you know what I mean.

Of course, going back perhaps to the point of this thread, I can see the problem for the VSCC in trying to remain sort of semi-commercial. In that they accepted a number of modern-ish cars unlikely to get on Silverstone ordinarily, and while I totally support the attitude and spirit of guys out there in their BMW estates, Saab Turbos and other unremarkable derelict mini cab look-alikes in the freezing fog on a day like yesterday, it’s hardly fare possibly, for future growth for the Club.

So, is the VSCC a sad bunch of losers? No; in the great British tradition of eccentricity, Silverstone yesterday was brilliant. But I’m sure they are grappling as so many other organisations today, with a balance. A Balance of what is affordable in an age of crippling costs and a sagging core enthusiasm. ‘Dumbing down’ so often appears the natural consequence, sadly.

The answer? Well it’s probably some rudimentary re-invention of the core VSCC activities in areas that are really ‘successful’ along with some bright ‘new’ initiatives in support of same.

Many thanks Eclectic for providing a super spectacle in the Stutz. Please do put your best image on the board (or someone with one) so people can see exactly what you do when you escape your French institution! Genuinely, many thanks. Er, … though … can you not make a better job of the luggage rack on the rear?

(IMHO, with all due respect.)
Old 23 Feb 2003, 20:51 (Ref:515294)   #21
bolide
Rookie

VSCC and the Pom

GFM wrote:

"...while I totally support the attitude and spirit of guys out there in their BMW estates, Saab Turbos and other unremarkable derelict mini cab look-alikes in the freezing fog on a day like yesterday, it’s hardly fare possibly, for future growth for the Club"

I think this totally misses the point of the Pomeroy Trophy. The Pom is unique among VSCC events in being the only competitive event open to cars of all ages. In this way it continues Laurence Pomeroy's search to determine the ultimate touring car

As regards the cars competing, I think an entry list with cars from 1907 to 2002 represents a unique achievement. That some are "derelict mini cab look-alikes" is neither here nor there. In my experience VSCC members collectively have an "advanced" sense of humour and to flog a Cortina Mk V round Silverstone on it's doorhandles is motorsport at its most ironic

The Pom is a great season-opener, an antidote to ever-more-serious racing, a meeting point for friends and the definitive first event for would-be racers. I am, of course, highly prejudiced in this matter, but for me the Pom is an essential date on the calendar, being tongue-in-cheek whilst at the same time hugely competitive

The Pom doesn't hold the key to the future of the club - as an event more than fifty years old it can hardly do that. It's there as a shining example of the kind of anachronism that the British in general, and the VSCC in particular, do so well

Nick Froome
www.bolide.co.uk