Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Mar 2003, 20:04 (Ref:544394)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is well worth getting as the video is fantastic.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 11:42 (Ref:545204)   #27
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good movie. I'd like to see someone else do a more modern edit- they must have yards of footage. The night stuff is excellent, as is all the 'atmospheric' stuff. The start really does look dangerous, and the cars really slide. Beautiful. They say the GT40s did 240mph- how fast were the little Porsche 911s? The performance gap between the the classes must have been bigger?

and the bits about the entrants arguing the legality of the cars is nice too.....

the rest of the mag is also well worthwhile. Makes a change from the thursday rag, which is as focussed on celebrity as anything else.....
Old 23 Mar 2003, 11:57 (Ref:545221)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it very good innit, I saw it last week, as I work at haymarket.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 21:18 (Ref:545722)   #29
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent vid - watched it twice already. Interesting to note the ACO scrutineers' were willing to "do a deal" over the moveable flaps on the 917 & 908's.

Also, Vic Elford's interview suggests only the 917's were capable of 240mph, not the GT40; the behavior shown by the 917 makes it little wonder the "usual" works Porsche drivers chose the drive the 908's.
Old 23 Mar 2003, 22:52 (Ref:545837)   #30
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Argh... up here in the cold north -well, not too darn cold anymore, spring's here - we'll have to wait a month before we get our copies of the brittish mags (it sucks but at least it's faster than Australia...). Hope it'll be worth the wait!

/k
Old 24 Mar 2003, 08:08 (Ref:546065)   #31
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic! I agree with Osella - lets get more footage together and extend it! Actually, whilst we're at it, I'd like to know how much footage of other races of the period exist. On video I've got some of the '68 and '70 races, but I wonder how much actually exists. Seeing as Mr McQueen and co. were filming in 1970, there must be loads of it.

As far as I know the langheck Porsche 917s of '69-71 were the only cars to top 240mph at Le Mans until Gropu C in the late 1980s: Pretty impressive (wish they hadn't put the chicanes in)! The GT40 couldn't manage that - I think I read somewhere that they could do something between 205-215mph (though that's not exactly slow!)

The slowest cars were probably doing about 140mph which tallies with Vics comments about the 100mph differential.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:09 (Ref:546320)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I'm now hosting as a mod in Armchair Enthusiast as well as here, and as this thread is really about the freebie vid and not LM69 in general, I'm moving this to "AE" to join with the simialr thread there.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:46 (Ref:546359)   #33
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got it, watched it - wow!
Really highlights how different it is nowadays with safety. That pitlane was horrendously crowded, and getting the police to marshal it-not surprised that stopped!
the magazine surprised me as well, might have to check it out every month.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 13:49 (Ref:546364)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Did you see the guy who got knocked over by a car in the pitlane and the separate incident where a photographer was positively manhandled out of the way....?

Motor Sport has always been a classy mag. Always plenty of things worth reading.
Old 24 Mar 2003, 14:18 (Ref:546408)   #35
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha ha... got my copy!! And I've just finished my Uni paper.... feet up in front of the TV with a glass of red tonight me thinks!!
Old 25 Mar 2003, 00:35 (Ref:546966)   #36
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bought the mag,,, the video is great!
the mag is interesting too.
Old 25 Mar 2003, 01:00 (Ref:546980)   #37
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The staffers at motorsport read this. They will be chuffed
Old 25 Mar 2003, 08:21 (Ref:547165)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
They deserve to be - a top flight magazine - and they have done well to maintain that very classy presentation too - the Motor Sport green is something quite uniquie, IMO.

(Can I have a free subscription now, please )
Old 25 Mar 2003, 21:48 (Ref:547998)   #39
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only one thing I can say after watching this

Mulsanne... no Chicanes

oops!! That was two things
Old 25 Mar 2003, 21:57 (Ref:548021)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeh, incredible eh, with spectators (well, McQueen, anyway), leaning over the armco.......
Old 26 Mar 2003, 00:25 (Ref:548203)   #41
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woodyracing
bought the mag,,, the video is great!
the mag is interesting too.
Gotta agree!!! I've been a subscriber to Motor Sport for a few years now and must say it's my favorite mag --- sometimes I think I've been born fifty years too late, as I spend far too much time reading about Fifties motor racing. Motor Sport has done some other excellent freebies such as the Aston Martin Sportscar World Championship (1959?). -- Top Mag!!
Old 26 Mar 2003, 13:59 (Ref:548744)   #42
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you're enjoying the MS video, another good one is 'McLaren at le Mans - Pursuit of Perfection' - excellent music, night atmospherics in the car stuff. Cameras on D Bell when J Bell gets done by JJ Lehto.

Last edited by gfm; 26 Mar 2003 at 14:00.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 14:15 (Ref:548757)   #43
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Real (noisy) cars on a real circuit.
That video is precisely what MotorSport mag is all about. The golden days of Motor Racing.
No chicanes and beautiful cars!
Now...how can we make the modern Bentley sound like a proper racing car rather than the stifled 'Audi' drone?
Old 26 Mar 2003, 17:51 (Ref:548973)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
If you're enjoying the MS video, another good one is 'McLaren at le Mans - Pursuit of Perfection' - excellent music, night atmospherics in the car stuff. Cameras on D Bell when J Bell gets done by JJ Lehto.

Agreed. I was absolutely delighted when I managed to pick this up on EBay for about 7 quid. Great vid.