Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2003, 15:46 (Ref:591133)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
it certainly does, and I could probably build 2 better cars to drive for the price of a mustang, although I've never driven one !!! ;(
Old 11 May 2003, 02:03 (Ref:595838)   #27
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed it hugely as well - despite the fact the car kept jumping out of third on the overrun, meaning I was doing every corner bar the chicane one-handed, holding it in gear. I think its bent selector forks (I had to do the last race without a clutch). Meant I was 3 seconds down on my best time in practice, 0.6 in the race. Pity we didn't get a race in the top hat as we were third reserve, but on the basis of practice times we should have got a good race with Simon and the alfas (errant mustangs notwithstanding).

Next race for us is the Donington Ferrari festival where a little grey Ford 100E is going to look *really* out of place!

Oh, and Simon - keep the Lotus in the original bodywork !!!
Old 12 May 2003, 06:36 (Ref:596605)   #28
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What will you be racing in at the Festival? I am not there as it clashes I think with the BRDC meeting at Silverstone (it 24/5 May isnt it?)
re bodywork - dont worry at the moment that will have to stay as is whilst I sort out the mechanical side - thank goodness I bought a race ready immaculately prepped car!! hmmmm thinks maybe it wasnt... !!
Old 12 May 2003, 09:18 (Ref:596685)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Yimkin, is that your grey 100E with the yellow wheels? it looks great. I was quizzing myself over your engine???
my guess was precrossflow 1300??? drysumped etc, I wondered what your starter motor was from too, tiny little thing?
and are you running a dead loss system because I couldnt see an alternator or dynamo anywhere.

looks pretty quick . . . .probably quicker than my Cortina when its built !
Old 12 May 2003, 21:30 (Ref:597404)   #30
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
Yimkin, is that your grey 100E with the yellow wheels? it looks great. I was quizzing myself over your engine???
my guess was precrossflow 1300??? drysumped etc, I wondered what your starter motor was from too, tiny little thing?
and are you running a dead loss system because I couldnt see an alternator or dynamo anywhere.

looks pretty quick . . . .probably quicker than my Cortina when its built !
Yep, that's it! Or more accurately it's my Dad's - we do alternate races in HRSR and share for top hat. You're right about the engine - 1300cc pre-crossflow. It was last dyno'd at about 90BHP at the wheels, I think - we wer hoping for more. The starter motor is an off the shelf high capacity one from Burton I think - otherwise it is impossible to start when it's hot - can't get over the high compression. We went drysump after Goodwood 98 - one blow up too far, even with the sump baffled beyond belief. We used to have an all steel engine that revved to 10K, but that went into orbit somewhere over Northamptonshire when we threw a rod at Silverstone historic festival

We are allowed the engine because the 4 door (107E) had it, but mostly because it (or rather versions of it) have been in the car since 1970 - my Dad bought it as a write off then and ran it as a rally/road car for years - he and my mum used to strap my carrycot to the roll cage! He's built a good car bearing in mind no-one else (including me ) has ever laid a spanner on it.

It does Donington in about 1:38.5 and Goodood in 1:50 IIRC, so not bad - the drivers could do better though! It's biggest failing is that it is about 100kg overweight for the class limit, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Look forward to seeing the Cortina out soon - it's a GT isn't it? It will be nice to see something other than the ubiquitous Lotus Cortina!

And Simon - there's a 50's only saloons race at the Ferrari festival as well as the Alfa GTA challenge - will be odd racing at a predominantly modern meeting - should get even more weird looks than usual! Hope you get the Lotus sorted soon - it looked great in the sportscar race.
Old 13 May 2003, 06:28 (Ref:597619)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can testify that Yimkin's car is a lot quicker than you expect! Good luck at Donington
Zefarelly, I saw an advert the other day for aCortina GT 500 1965 which was the first ford homogolated race car (Australian but with a Canadian body) for less money than a Lotus Cortina - what is it and is it any good?
Old 13 May 2003, 12:27 (Ref:597811)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
where did you see that Ad Simon? I didnt know the Cortina GT was the first Homologated car, Id like to see what is and isnt, an FIA car would be the ultimate goal so's to be able to race anywhere, but I dont think its feasible to start with.

Yimkin, they dont build them like they used to! thats why the pops are so much heavier, the MK1 Cortina was the first monocuque car to be fully stressed in its design, mainly as a cost saving exercise and also as a weight saver. hence the tin worm sets in quite easily. I'll look out for the starter motor, and I wasnt aware oil problems where so prevalent in precrossflow engines? I'm not planning on dry sumping . . . . . .perhaps I should!

Is always nice to see slightly more standard/original cars racing, as much as I love lotus cortinas, theres almost too many of them at some meets, and their cost could be (in some eyes) seen to be making racing prohibitive to the common man (ME!!!)
Old 13 May 2003, 12:47 (Ref:597835)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

first Ford factory homogolated, so I guess they mean L-C were not factory. the car is a Ford Cortina GT 500 - does the 500 refer to a race or engine? The ad refers to only 40 ever being made, dont you need more than that for homogolation? I will pm the price and tel number to you
Old 13 May 2003, 13:08 (Ref:597863)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the GT 500 is the Aussie car, they also made a few fastback models . . .it was a race, possibly Bathurst? I think it was a GT with two tanks and a few go faster bits

Willment (2 cars) and Alan Mann (1) both campaigned GT's in 63 backed to an extennt by ford, their 1st outing in the US gave thenm 1,2,4 finish in a 12 hour event!

then the galaxies arrived . . . . and eventually the lotus, once they'd built enough and kept them going long enough to get homologated . . . .theres still doubts as to whether Lotus actually built enough cars in the first place to get homologated in time, but since when have rules ever stopped anyone from winning !!!
Old 13 May 2003, 13:12 (Ref:597870)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

there are certainly enough for homogolation now!!!!! So with that pedigree it could be a reasonably cheap Goodwood contender?? not for me as I am trying to move out of saloons to concentrate on sports racers!
Old 13 May 2003, 13:26 (Ref:597884)   #36
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I didnt know the Cortina GT was the first Homologated car,
I'm not sure of the chronology, but the GT's were definitely racing before the Loti. I had one of the first GT's, registered, if I remember correctly in March 1963, & I remember seeing the GT's racing at Oulton Park( for the first time ever?) in March/April 1963, literally days after they went on sale. Jack Sears won the 1963 British Saloon Car Championship in a Willment Cortina GT. Although the Lotus was announced with the rest of the range in September(?) 1962, I don't think it went into production until around April 1963. Homologation followed a few months later, I think.

Quote:
Is always nice to see slightly more standard/original cars racing, as much as I love lotus cortinas, theres almost too many of them at some meets, and their cost could be (in some eyes) seen to be making racing prohibitive to the common man (ME!!!)
You can't have too many Lotus Cortinas! Having said that, I'd like to see a lot of other 50s/60s Fords back on the track - Mk2 Zephyr, anybody?

Last edited by Dave Brand; 13 May 2003 at 13:27.
Old 13 May 2003, 14:56 (Ref:597966)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Dave . . . .at last Ive found someone who had/raced a MK1 GT !!! and no you cant have too many, how many are genuine will remain a mystery forever, even those who own genuine history race replicas of them.

Ive been searching for any history on MK1 GT's for some time and am as yet to find anything other than that published in the usual books.

Jack sears did 1/2 a season in a GT and half in the galaxy I believe? the GT's where somewhat brushed aside as a stand in whilst Lotus developement was completed. I'd have thought, given their affordability copared to a lotus, quite a few would have been raced?

I wonder if FOO 229 and FOO 230 No plates are available
Old 13 May 2003, 15:11 (Ref:598002)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

I should get an introduction fee here I think that Zefarelly has finally met his petrol head soul mate!!!!
Old 13 May 2003, 16:07 (Ref:598056)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
he he . . .iD HAVE TO PICK HIS BRAINS OVER A BEER FIRST
Old 13 May 2003, 18:13 (Ref:598177)   #40
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Dave . . . .at last Ive found someone who had/raced a MK1 GT !!!
I had one & a half! A 1963 road car & a half share in a 1966 rally car.

Quote:
Ive been searching for any history on MK1 GT's for some time and am as yet to find anything other than that published in the usual books.
It's sad that the Cortina GT is overlooked by the 'classic car' movement - it was THE car to have in the mid-60s; the MGB, revered nowadays, was considered a joke - slow, ill-handling & unreliable!

Quote:
Jack sears did 1/2 a season in a GT and half in the galaxy I believe? the GT's where somewhat brushed aside as a stand in whilst Lotus developement was completed. I'd have thought, given their affordability copared to a lotus, quite a few would have been raced?
The Lotus started off with 20bhp more, with much more to come. For rallying, at club level, the GT was a good choice.

Quote:
I wonder if FOO 229 and FOO 230 No plates are available
Ask the DVLA - you never know!
Old 13 May 2003, 20:32 (Ref:598293)   #41
Yimkin
Racer

Quote:
[B]
Yimkin, they dont build them like they used to! thats why the pops are so much heavier, the MK1 Cortina was the first monocuque car to be fully stressed in its design, mainly as a cost saving exercise and also as a weight saver. hence the tin worm sets in quite easily. /B]
Yep - the 100E is effectively a monocoque with a separate chassis welded on underneath! Doesn't mean they don't rot though - you should have seen ours after a few years stored in my grans garage!

[B]
I'll look out for the starter motor, and I wasnt aware oil problems where so prevalent in precrossflow engines? I'm not planning on dry sumping . . . . . .perhaps I should! /B][/QUOTE]

The problem is worst on fast circuits with all the corners in the same direction, namely goodwood. We've never regretted it, but as with everything it's personal choice.
[B]
Is always nice to see slightly more standard/original cars racing, as much as I love lotus cortinas, theres almost too many of them at some meets, and their cost could be (in some eyes) seen to be making racing prohibitive to the common man (ME!!!) /B][/QUOTE]

Ditto. Total cost of build, maintenance and numerous engine rebuilds for our car is about 5K (from 1997 - no idea for it's rallying years), which is doable. When we had Formula Juniors (we still have a Gemini in bits) the only way we could do it was by buying them as complete heaps and relying on my dad's skills. Long live the cheap racer!

[
Old 14 May 2003, 06:35 (Ref:598492)   #42
simon drabble
Veteran

and the best part is that you car is just as well turned out as the professionally run cars! I should take a leaf out of your book!!!!
Old 14 May 2003, 07:08 (Ref:598505)   #43
Kevin Miller
Rookie

Kevin Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the comment about the GT500 and thought I would throw in my two bobs worth. The Bathurst race around the time of the Cortinas was a 500 mile event, usually named after a sponsor, Armstrong 500 etc., To enter a car you had to have a certain number built all the same (think it was 200) and hence they built up the required number of Cortinas and called them the GT500. Somebody else from OZ might have an idea on the specs. of the modifications they ran with.