Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Oct 2003, 15:53 (Ref:744221)   #1
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic F1

Appart from the Goodwood revival meeting, are there any events regularly held which race late 60's early 70's F1 cars in the UK?
I have problems getting to Goodwood but i would love to see the Lotus 49 and other legendary cars racing.
Old 8 Oct 2003, 20:21 (Ref:744484)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Smokey, we don't see them much either. The odd one, like the Crabclaw Brabham at the back of the grid in TGPs, most of which are later cars. Even the sight of them at Goodwood was a one off (2/3 years ago?) since, following a couple of accidents, they were deemed too quick for the circuit. They were anyway a little late for the period covered by the Goodwood Revival. I also remember a couple V12 BRMs at Coys Silverstone a few years back but that's about it. Anyone else know where we might see these cars in action?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Oct 2003, 05:24 (Ref:744782)   #3
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FORCE races cater for F1 cars from this period, though there is never a guarantee that your favorites are going to be at every meeting
Old 9 Oct 2003, 09:56 (Ref:744963)   #4
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FORCE races were meant to be for the early (non-wing or at least very simple wings) 3 liter cars, unfortunately the entry levels are extremely variable.

The Cooper Alfa is a regular competitor (lovely looking car, with an Alfa Montreal engine in the back), and the occasional early (e.g. orange) McLaren plus Sid Hoole's Cooper BRM is about it.

The FORCE found there were more poeple looking to run F5000s than early 3 liter F1s.

But there is hope, an Eagle Weslake has been restored, a Cooper Maserati is being restored, and there are various other cars around - some Lotus 49s, BRM V-12s (even the lighweight H-16 made an appearance several years ago), a Repco Brabham surfaced years ago, the Matras have come out of hiding and there is even a running Ferrari 312 out there.

Once there are enough cars running reliably it shouldn't be long before a decent race series follows, which will then draw out other cars.

p.s. Ean Pugh has the Lobster Claw Brabham & a BRM V-12, both of which he has run in TGP races rather than FORCE - on the gounds that it basically costs the same to do both events.
Old 9 Oct 2003, 12:13 (Ref:745120)   #5
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it really is a pitty that there is no regular series for these cars, i'd love a late 60's version of the Euroboss series.
Thanks for the help.