Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Jan 2003, 12:15 (Ref:478919)   #1
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART at Spa

Just read on autosport that there is a chance for CART to race at Spa in 2004 maybe. That would rock IMO. What do u reckon? They could have a European season of Brands, german oval thingy and then Spa. Fingers crossed!
Old 19 Jan 2003, 12:23 (Ref:478928)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
It would be good, however if CART were to go to Spa, i reckon that it would be in place of the German oval race, not aswell as.
Old 19 Jan 2003, 12:40 (Ref:478950)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, maybe not - after all, Pook was talking about 3-races in Europe for this year to begin with, but couldn't pull it off.

Spa and CART would be great, in any event...
Old 19 Jan 2003, 15:45 (Ref:479036)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F1 will be back there...but never know, that doesn't mean that Cart would run there either - though it might be a smaller audience.

Last edited by Jay; 19 Jan 2003 at 15:45.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jan 2003, 15:49 (Ref:479040)   #5
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, why shouldn´t they have 3 races in europe, if the number of visitors in europe is much higher than in the US for example, they could decide to come here for 3 races
if they do them all in a row it isn´t a problem for the logistics, too
Old 20 Jan 2003, 02:40 (Ref:479627)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
It would be good, however if CART were to go to Spa, i reckon that it would be in place of the German oval race, not aswell as.
Not if Pook is serious about Volkswagen and Porsche.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 02:42 (Ref:479628)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pook said he would like at least three European races, and Spa would be an absolutely perfect venue to host a ChampCar race. I hope he can pull it off.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 02:59 (Ref:479637)   #8
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing "CART" and "Spa" mentioned in the same sentence makes my heart race. It's a shame it probably will turn out to just be a rumour, just like half the other supposed European races.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 20 Jan 2003, 15:12 (Ref:480025)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As much as I would love to see them at Spa, my gut tells me that it ain't going to happen. Pook wants gate, and Spa won't provide it to the standard that will be set at Brands (and Lausitz) this year.

Only if TV ratings for Brands rock in the US will Pook consider putting a race at Spa. (IMNSHO)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jan 2003, 15:34 (Ref:480045)   #10
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART will not be racing at the much-loved Spa Francorchamps circuit in Belgium this year, Chris Pook has confirmed.

Spa, with its sweeping curves like Eau Rouge and picturesque backdrop of the Ardennes forest, has hosted Formula One since its inaugural modern championship year of 1950.

But a dispute with the governing FIA over tobacco advertising meant that the Belgian Grand Prix was cancelled for 2003 and in doubt of ever returning to the F1 calendar.

As a consolation for the local economy, though, F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone introduced Spa to CART CEO Chris Pook, the American eager to move his Champcars into Europe.

'Spa is a fantastic racetrack,' he said. 'We had several conversations but we decided against it this year, although it could be on the cards for the future.

'We must be sure that we do things that create stability. Whether we should be racing at Spa in early May was a question for us.'

Pook concludes: 'It's not that we don't want to be there; we were very humbled by the offer to be there.'
Old 20 Jan 2003, 17:53 (Ref:480201)   #11
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa doesn't and probably won't have the stability that Pook needs. I think Pook wants an urban street race somewhere in Germany to replace the oval. That's Pook's idea of america's breed of open wheel racing. i expect champcars at brands for a while and by 2005 three euro races: oval, street, road course.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 22:30 (Ref:480567)   #12
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands will be on the former F1 road course within a couple of years. What oval will replace Lausitz?

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 20 Jan 2003 at 22:31.