Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1286004)   #26
scottyhouse11
Rookie

Scotland
Edinburgh
scottyhouse11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone, first time post here and nice to have an open discussion without the usual ill-thought out arguments that can often occur in other forums. Back on topic though and I agree that the coverage was very questionable today including the ad-break at the end. I could be cynical and suggest that it was planned in advance, giving the advertisers maximum exposure. Someone on another forum made the comment that we should be lucky Sky don't get their hand on F1 or the adverts would be worse. I actually subscribed to the Sky F1 Channel when they did get their hands on it and the coverage there was unsurpassed - 6 live channels, data channel and NO adverts, albeit at a price. Although, that said, ITV have got better over the years, remember losing the end of a race to Coronation Street?
Old 24 Apr 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1286137)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome scottyhouse11.

Enjoy posting here.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 19:24 (Ref:1286142)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome buddy!
Old 24 Apr 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1286175)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhouse11
. Although, that said, ITV have got better over the years, remember losing the end of a race to Coronation Street?

That has never happened.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1286328)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think there is 2 seperate parties to blame for the disaster of the Imola coverage (despite being an actual good race), ITV and RAI, both were dire in their performance and decisions.

Bad camerawork and direction from RAI, and ludicrous ad spacing from ITV.
As I keep on saying time after time, Italian TV only has 2 ad breaks of around 30 seconds each for the entire F1 coverage.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1286379)   #31
scottyhouse11
Rookie

Scotland
Edinburgh
scottyhouse11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
That has never happened.
Sorry KB, let me qualify that - Getting to the end and losing any post race commentary or press conference, particularly with the annoying graphic that used to appear, skewing the race screen with the message that corrie would be on soon. With the exception of today, post race does appear to be better than previous seasons.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 23:56 (Ref:1286411)   #32
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
There is an imporatant lesson for the ITV companies to learn here. The lesson is that despite what the letter of the contract may be with the ad companies, the spirit of their contract is to gain a psoitive audience reaction to their products and company public profile. I would find it very difficult to believe that blotting out three of the most exciting minutes of the sports history will acheive that. If they had waited four minutes, the products could have been shown in a positive way bang after a TV spectacle to rival the Johnny Wilkinson kick that won the Rugby World Cup, or even a Super Bowl Telecast.

The most gauling thing is that with modern digital technology, a time shifting effect could have been employed, it would have been entirely possible to resume in a time shift mode at the point where the ads interrupted, so that the viewers didn't have to see the action after they knew the result.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1286654)   #33
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inspired piece of marketing that advert break!
Next time I'm thinking of purchasing
Expensive lager
Parcel delivery
DVD's
Fence paint
A new car

I know which companies I will not be using
Old 25 Apr 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1286660)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Those companies may well be pretty embarrassed by all the backlash that this 'inspired piece of production' has created!!
Old 25 Apr 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1287022)   #35
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ad break was crazy and really makes you wonder how someone made the decision to goto an ad break. Even the coverage of the start was messed up with the lap counter graphic covering the lights. Those thrilling laps at the end of a brilliant GP between Michael and Alonso would have made some fantastic onboard coverage....I guess that's just asking too much