Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Mar 2004, 06:57 (Ref:892068)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This banner will be no more

So of course we all know that CART is no more, but I was looking through some of my old pictures, and it just hit me, that we will no longer see any banners like this one anymore.

http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Ap..._Alex_Sara.JPG

I hope that the OWRS logos look just as good.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 08:09 (Ref:892106)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Now there's a banner I would've loved to have stolen!
Are you in the pic?
Actually, we haven't seen that logo since 2002.

I, too, have been thinking that the "BStone Presents..." logo that they've been using recently will be a memory, only used for one year. If that is indeed the case, then there'll be no confusion about when I bought that Players jacket! (PT's (first) championship year!)
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:47 (Ref:892589)   #3
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I'm on the right. And yes that woul be a cool banner to have haning in my room...Or side of the house would be more like it. Me some racing buddies of mine were walking around the track(Toronto) after everyone had left Saturday night. We just walked through one of the holes in the fence for cameraman, and nobody told us to get off it. There were all sorts of people on the track getting it ready for tommorows racing, working on the curbs, even pouring cement.There was a police car driving around the track, although I'm not sure why, when he saw us he just waved. The guy who was in charge of maintaining the track over the weekend drove by in a BMW X5 and stopped and talked to us. He's the one who took the pictures, and he offered to drive us the rest of the way around the track. So we accepted and I got pictures of the entire track from inside the X5. Here are the pics I took. http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Ap...02/Pics/Track/

I wrote a little writeup about the trip if anyone is interested. http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Ap...02002/Indy.htm
I'm not sure why I used a background image like that, its very hard to read the text, but I wasn't too smart back in 2002 I guess. Also the writeup was intended to be read by my friends and family who know nothing about racing, so keep in mind that target audience when you read it. There are some cool pics of Alex Zanardi, and me sitting in a champ car, so check out the pics.
http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Ap...o%202002/pics/
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:10 (Ref:892607)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely banner. I loved that logo, more than the C^RT one
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:18 (Ref:892615)   #5
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the pictures. It is great to be able to get on the track like that. A group of friends and I used to have a great time at Laguna every year. Some of you may have seen our "Golf Cart ReCon" T Shirts. We helped the golf cart company retrieve their golf carts from the teams after the race. So many teams would just leave them in the paddock area so we would pile into a cart with a hand full of keys and go fetch them from the teams. Had a great time, got into some nice team parties as well. The company lost the contract and that fun went with it.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:21 (Ref:892619)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Now there's a banner I would've loved to have stolen!
Ah yes, banner stealing...a favorite pastime.

I have one very similar to the one jj posted here (by the way nice pics) but in a reasonable size and it also says "Welcome Race Fans". It's one of my favorites. I really liked the old logo too. The new one hasn't grown on me yet. There's nothing racey about it in my view.

To race banner collectors everywhere...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 18:26 (Ref:892622)   #7
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racinginthestreets
So many teams would just leave them in the paddock area
It's not just the teams, I know of a few spectators who have "borrowed" a few of those carts from time to time.

You may recall the midnight golf cart racing on the track at Laguna a couple years ago...(see signature below)

Last edited by Flatspot; 3 Mar 2004 at 18:30.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 19:02 (Ref:892660)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You may recall the midnight golf cart racing on the track at Laguna a couple years ago...(see signature below)
We never hung around until midnight. I bet that was a blast

We had a good run at it for four years. Too many memories doing that. Two years ago, one of our group (some carry several different golf cart keys in their pockets)got a golf cart down by the South entrance and took off. A tv cameraman and the reporter tracked them down and asked for the cart back. They were lucky they did not end up true friends side by side in the jail laughing.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:43 (Ref:892791)   #9
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
I camped out at Mosport in 2002 for Trans-Am weekend, now THAT was a blast. Trans-Am was there, FF1600, USF2000, and the SpeedWorld Challenge series. After the racing ends everynight the parties begin. Campfires go up everywhere and the track is open all night for spectators to walk around to the different parties and drink beer all night.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:52 (Ref:892802)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Saturday night at MIS always used to be one of the best parties of the year! Man, we had some great fun!

Thanks for the pics, jj!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:19 (Ref:892837)   #11
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Well if you liked the Toronto pics, here are some Mosport pics - http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Apex/mosport/

There is an html file in that directory, but the links don't work on it, so that is just a directory of pictures. The pics from on track I took on what was supposed to be CASC Regional race day but it was too wet and nobody was at the track when we arrived, so we just just around the track by ourselves, and noone was there to kick us out. Pretty insecure, and a liability for sure, but we weren't complaining. The pictures from Trans-Am weekend are pretty cool. Heres a good shot of the beer, from T5 http://24.20.8.183/The%20Double%20Ap...turn5_beer.JPG

I sure have a lot of pictures from Eastern Candian races for being an American who lives on the West Coast!

Last edited by jjspierx; 3 Mar 2004 at 21:26.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 21:13 (Ref:893939)   #12
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
It's not just the teams, I know of a few spectators who have "borrowed" a few of those carts from time to time.

Oh shoot - I did that but at the ALMS race last year! And the stupid teams were all still up!! I have an awsome Budwiser banner that I still hang up every year!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 4 Mar 2004, 22:49 (Ref:894085)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
My Players banner has been hanging across our laundry room wall since we bought the house! I've Players flags as well, but all of my other banners are Marlboro (some of them really nice) - and sit around in a dusty box anymore.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 22:54 (Ref:894095)   #14
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
My Players banner has been hanging across our laundry room wall since we bought the house! I've Players flags as well, but all of my other banners are Marlboro (some of them really nice) - and sit around in a dusty box anymore.
I hate you I've wanted to get a Player banner for ever. The closest I came was one of the huge stickers that went on the side of the pit? But it got ripped up by the ex in the move in a fit of temper last Sept

Last edited by Mags; 4 Mar 2004 at 22:55.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:14 (Ref:894128)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
It came from the wall of a bar in TO.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:18 (Ref:894129)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
You should go to bars in TO more!
Old 4 Mar 2004, 23:21 (Ref:894133)   #17
Mags
Veteran

Quote:
You should go to bars in TO more!
I know
Old 5 Mar 2004, 07:10 (Ref:894483)   #18
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Player's banner that came off of the fence at the Vancouver Indy in 2002. Pretty cool. Just need to find a place to hang it as none of the walls in my current place are long enough. Geez, I hope I didn't lose the thing...

Last edited by evo; 5 Mar 2004 at 07:11.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 15:58 (Ref:895044)   #19
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may not have a banner but in 2002 at the preseason test at laguna.... I got a brake rotor frmo fernandez racing... that was cool.

Greg