Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Dec 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2603847)   #251
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Turbo Diesel Golf would be my pick, you could even be lazy and go the DSG gearbox.
My drive is a Golf Tdi DSG and it's a brilliant car, but as enthusiastic as I am I can't imagine it living with a 3ltr. Audi Tdi quattro tiptronic round the mountain. Awesome torque delivered very smoothly, my only doubt is how the tiptronic would hold up being used for constanr engine braking.
If you could get hold of the right engine management programs from the Nurburgring 24hr Audis they should be legal, but any alteration to the transmission control software would not, according to the prodcar rules.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2603975)   #252
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provisional entry list

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/doc..._entrylist.pdf

Some cars missing from last year, where are all the HSV's?

And i noticed that the Mustang of Zukanovic is in class B.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2603981)   #253
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does 40 entries top last year?
Old 23 Dec 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2603991)   #254
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Is the FPV FG Typhoon an advancement on the Typhoons of previous years?
Old 23 Dec 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2604413)   #255
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Is the FPV FG Typhoon an advancement on the Typhoons of previous years?
Let's hope so as the Robinson entries of the past have never really lived upto their speed potential on paper. Jeremy Gray seems to have been able to get his XR6T going nicely so with the upgrade to F6 specs perhaps his team can show the cars true potential. Probably not an outright contender but would be nice to see one going quick for a little bit
Old 24 Dec 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2604665)   #256
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Does 40 entries top last year?
There were 47 starters for the 2009 race. Still, anything over 40 is a good number of entrants for a 12 hour race.
I just hope there are a few late entries with a HSV badge on it.

Surely the Keogh's, Briffa or even the Donut King team will enter one car between them, although I have heard that the Merten's who have campaigned a black HSV for the past few years will not be there in 2010 due to financial constraints.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 26 Dec 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2605265)   #257
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Anybody got the funds to run an Audi A4Tdi quattro?
Guaranteed class win and might do top 10 if the very long stints worked out with safety cars or it got a bit wet.
Jag XF tdi might be interesting as well.
Maybe an "index of performance" based on carbon footprint could be a great promotion gimmick for the event and get it wider media coverage.

If the race is wet,the A4 as per Oldtony's suggestion would be a very strong contender. Even in the dry, the massive torque should have them going up the mountain at a speed very close to that with which they go down.....

The prospect of a wet race reminds me of a comment made about the R10 at Le Mans prior to it's first race, if they had a very wet race with bulk pace car laps they were concerned that the major limiting factor on pit stops may be driver bladder capacity.....
Old 27 Dec 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2605269)   #258
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
If the race is wet,the A4 as per Oldtony's suggestion would be a very strong contender. Even in the dry, the massive torque should have them going up the mountain at a speed very close to that with which they go down.....

The prospect of a wet race reminds me of a comment made about the R10 at Le Mans prior to it's first race, if they had a very wet race with bulk pace car laps they were concerned that the major limiting factor on pit stops may be driver bladder capacity.....
So instead of pit stops they would have pi55 stops.
Old 27 Dec 2009, 02:29 (Ref:2605278)   #259
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bladder capacity could come into it, but the regs do say 3hrs max in the car per stint. Matches up quite nicely with my table napkin calculations of about 2hrs 40mins for fuel stops no safety car and dry running. But that is very much theory and liable to be proved very wrong in practice.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 04:14 (Ref:2606956)   #260
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Walden Motorsport have received a major boost ahead of their title defence in 2010. Holden Motorsport has offered the team an attractive sponsorship package which includes a new VE Commodore and a spare parts arrangement.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2606959)   #261
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction View Post
From my experience in the 12 Hour, it's not entirely uncommon for drivers to leak on the run...
Old 1 Jan 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2606970)   #262
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
My drive is a Golf Tdi DSG and it's a brilliant car, but as enthusiastic as I am I can't imagine it living with a 3ltr. Audi Tdi quattro tiptronic round the mountain. Awesome torque delivered very smoothly, my only doubt is how the tiptronic would hold up being used for constanr engine braking.
If you could get hold of the right engine management programs from the Nurburgring 24hr Audis they should be legal, but any alteration to the transmission control software would not, according to the prodcar rules.
I am not convinced a DSG box is the answer.. sure there are F1-esque flappy paddle gear changes.. but the box is not always perfectly immediate in its shifts up and down... certainly not in my R32 anyway. Ok for the road, but not when there a wall coming up fast

The turbo diesel Golf with a boost tickle could be quick enough for a top 10, but the tyres on it are not racing.. i.e. not 18" so the ultimate speed against the real outright cars.

Should blow off the diesel class opposition though
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Jan 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2607037)   #263
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
I know if i was going to enter a diesel in the 12 hour I would enter a BMW 120d manual, 130KW & 350NM torque plus RWD, then Alfa wouldn't be so confident of a class win
Old 1 Jan 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2607187)   #264
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
It really is an interesting excercise davo.

BMW 120d 130kw/350nm 1375kg RWD manual
Audi A4tdi quattro 176kw/400nm 1690kg 4wd Tiptronic auto
Jag XFd 202kw/440nm 1820kg Rwd Paddle auto.

Based on brochure claims for models available in Australia. Manual available for both Audi and Jag in Europe, and according to the regs may be acceptable in that form if CAMS clears the paperwork.
No fiddling with the boost as inlet pressure as data loggers must be fitted and monitored. No fiddling with electronic programing for the transmissions, must be standard. Engine mapping software is free provided it doesn't increase max. boost.
Tank sizes in all probably exceed bladder capacity so long stints should be the order of the day with tyre and brake conservation important. Those factors may rule out the Jag. Audi has wieght and transmission disadvantage but the advantage of a very well sorted 4wd system. As you say the 120d might be the weapon.
It is a pity the manufacturers concerned are not interested in establishing themselves as the performance diesel leaders by using the 12hr as a demonstration.
Would give a few of the petrol "performance image" people something to think about as well.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2607478)   #265
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Only one WRX next year, I think the drivers are TBA at this stage, and I believe the team won't be utilising the services of crashers after the 2009 experience...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jan 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2607486)   #266
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the words of Richie Benaud...........

"Top Shot"
Old 3 Jan 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2607489)   #267
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Tread carefully here team.

The driver of the Subaru pictured here was killed recently in Classic Adelaide.

I know nothing inappropriate has been posted, but just thought I'd mention now.

RIP Gary Tierney
Old 4 Jan 2010, 01:22 (Ref:2607818)   #268
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
There is talk that Class E may see potentially five entries. If this is true, its great to hear that Matthew Windsor will have some healthy opposition.

Impreza RS - Windsor
Yaris - Bob Holden
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai
Hyundai Sonata - Hyundai
Proton Satria - ???

I still think that the RS will have it over the other cars though.
Old 4 Jan 2010, 05:14 (Ref:2607852)   #269
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Yes. I still think that there will be a few more entries in the next 2.5 weeks before the deadline.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 4 Jan 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2608201)   #270
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo. View Post
There is talk that Class E may see potentially five entries. If this is true, its great to hear that Matthew Windsor will have some healthy opposition.

Impreza RS - Windsor
Yaris - Bob Holden
Hyundai i30 - Hyundai
Hyundai Sonata - Hyundai
Proton Satria - ???

I still think that the RS will have it over the other cars though.
A well sorted Proton Satria GTi would be a bit of a weapon in this class. The last of them is owned by Dan Natoli in QLD and I think is still for sale. This was the car Dave Russell used to such good effect in the Production Cars a few years back. With a good freshen up and some gun drivers, I don't think the Hyundais, Yaris or Scooby would see where it went. That said, most of the GTis racing now are nowhere near the speed of the cars run by the Proton guys back in the day.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2608236)   #271
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Anyone heard about any current V8 drivers doing the race?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 5 Jan 2010, 02:59 (Ref:2608238)   #272
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Anyone heard about any current V8 drivers doing the race?
Not likely, same weekend as one of the OS races, or very close to.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 03:01 (Ref:2608239)   #273
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Yes, 1st round is the weekend after but the race promoter was hopeful of 3/4 still doing it.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 5 Jan 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2608328)   #274
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
A well sorted Proton Satria GTi would be a bit of a weapon in this class. The last of them is owned by Dan Natoli in QLD and I think is still for sale. This was the car Dave Russell used to such good effect in the Production Cars a few years back. With a good freshen up and some gun drivers, I don't think the Hyundais, Yaris or Scooby would see where it went. That said, most of the GTis racing now are nowhere near the speed of the cars run by the Proton guys back in the day.
Yeah i guess it comes down to how well the cars are developed, but from personal experience of owning a 05 Impreza RS and seeing how consistantly quick the car has been over the last 3 years, I know where I would put my money. The only area's that the Proton maybe stronger are brakes and handling, but in saying that the Impreza handles very well as it is AWD and carries over certain suspension components from the WRX, and even the brakes from the previous WRX. Up and down the mountain the Impreza will be all over it, the main area of advantage for the Impreza is the torque to climb the mountain.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2608330)   #275
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RS did a best of 2:55 in 2009, the Satria pulled a 2:52 back in 2003.....