Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:00 (Ref:860769)   #26
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's only Richards trying to annoy Jacques, but I don't think Jacques cares.

Still, it's only testing. When they get their first pole, then we can start talking. (Best starting position: JV, 4th, Monza 2000)
Old 2 Feb 2004, 23:49 (Ref:860838)   #27
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DR trying to annoy JV? Who the heck is JV, is he some has been or something? I see his name pop up a lot but dont see it on the current list of F1 drivers... strange!

BAR wants to see how fast the car is among other things. They are doing something that none of the other teams are doing; they are showing their hand. Good for them. They want to be able to compare the outright speed of the cars.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 00:02 (Ref:860846)   #28
Nizmo32_josh
Rookie

Nizmo32_josh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
Will Villeneuve have any hairs left?

This HAS to be the worst case scenario for poor old jacques...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 01:07 (Ref:860879)   #29
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Neil, I got it.

Now talking about testing..., yes, right ! its testing season, but heyyyyyy, breaking records !?!?!, that´s a different story. This BAR is hottttttttttttt.

PS: I think Honda will deliver better than Toyota, this year...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 02:03 (Ref:860931)   #30
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
There are no rules about teams running illegal in testing...
Actually, there are. The rules were changed a couple of years back.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I think it's only Richards trying to annoy Jacques, but I don't think Jacques cares.

What on earth makes you think DR cares?
Old 4 Feb 2004, 00:46 (Ref:862098)   #31
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How come no one here's made a fuss about Takuma Sato beating Button's time today?!...At least we now know the cars hot!...Nice one Geoff.

Last edited by Rennen; 4 Feb 2004 at 00:46.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 00:52 (Ref:862106)   #32
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember when the Prost's flew in pre-season testing !
Let's see what happens in Melbourne
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Feb 2004, 01:36 (Ref:862132)   #33
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is a different situation to Prost - the BAR team isn't facing a massive funding shortfall.

I expect to see BAR about the same level as Renault this year but not as reliable.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 01:39 (Ref:862136)   #34
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing how much quicker the BAR is now that Sato is there. Makes me wonder whether Honda is pumping more money into engine development or even the team now that they have a Japanese Driver. It wouldnt suprise me given Japanese business mentality.....

-jason
Old 4 Feb 2004, 02:22 (Ref:862161)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonhill9884
It's amazing how much quicker the BAR is now that Sato is there. Makes me wonder whether Honda is pumping more money into engine development or even the team now that they have a Japanese Driver. It wouldnt suprise me given Japanese business mentality.....

-jason
Wouldn't have thought that this was the case. After all, Honda, are in it to try and win. I don't think they would suddenly become more "serious" just because they had a Japanese driver.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 03:08 (Ref:862187)   #36
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Wouldn't have thought that this was the case. After all, Honda, are in it to try and win. I don't think they would suddenly become more "serious" just because they had a Japanese driver.
Actually, I expect that the domestic pressure will increasingly be on Honda now, so I would expect that they would up the level of intensity of their program to meet expectations.

Don't know whether that is necessarily the reason the BAR seem to be showing a bit of form at the moment, but you can not under estimate the impact of national pride on corporate decision making (esp in Japan).

Shame it hasn't worked that way for Jaguar though - maybe Ford would be more committed if it was F O R D on the side of the car (maybe not).
Old 4 Feb 2004, 04:35 (Ref:862226)   #37
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasonhill9884

-jason
If that were true than why did they let Sato rot at Jordan a couple of years ago? I think that after some years of honest struggle Honda has finally got their engine up near the top of the field.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 10:43 (Ref:862438)   #38
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since this is one of the only testing threads open at the moment, has anyone got any opinions about the speed (or lack of) of the McLarens for the past two days?
Old 4 Feb 2004, 10:55 (Ref:862448)   #39
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
The Macs have been running heavy fuel. Developing their car. The BAR's have been running low-fuel qualifiers and grabbing headlines.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 4 Feb 2004, 11:33 (Ref:862497)   #40
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite sure BAR have been developing their cas as well - you can't be saying that they have only been running qualifying set-up! In fact they seem to be developing it quite well!

When McLaren grab a headline lap time no-one poo-poos it.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 11:53 (Ref:862522)   #41
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Didn't say they weren't developing their car! However I am a little sceptical when a team that has lacked credibilty for so long starts running light to set quick times. Really what's the point, other than to grab headlines. The days of the light fuel qualifying lap is gone. Why the need to do this for days on end?
Old 4 Feb 2004, 12:05 (Ref:862543)   #42
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah, headlines (=Support and team coverage and possibly increases popularity), see how quickly the car can run when light compared to the old car, increasing team moral and confidence?

Im sure there is no loss in seeing how quickly the car can go flat out.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 12:28 (Ref:862591)   #43
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Would be interested in seeing their lap times during standard testing and not just the low fuel record breakers.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 13:12 (Ref:862639)   #44
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren and Williams have both also had lap records recently - do you think they are wasting time too? Low fuel qualifying might be a thing of the past, but fuel levels for qualifying are frequently not far off empty (a three stop race with a short first stint being commonplace) and the car is run on low fuel four times during a normal race in a three stop race.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 13:42 (Ref:862676)   #45
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
McLaren and Williams have both also had lap records recently - do you think they are wasting time too? Low fuel qualifying might be a thing of the past, but fuel levels for qualifying are frequently not far off empty (a three stop race with a short first stint being commonplace) and the car is run on low fuel four times during a normal race in a three stop race.
Legitimate testing? Yah right, in the real world, how would the tires be at that point? Certainly not fresh. If it were legitimate, they would be testing on at least semi-worn tires or logically on fully-worn tires. I would submit that in race conditions a car with fresh tires and a light fuel load would be fast but its highly unlikely that it would be in contention. Now Sato has done the same publicity stunt. Anything to do with DR the spin doctor, I wonder?

Last edited by Kirk; 4 Feb 2004 at 13:52.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 15:11 (Ref:862795)   #46
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
McLaren and Williams have both also had lap records recently - do you think they are wasting time too?
Again it's the cynic in me, but Mac and Williams are legitimate competitive teams. I doubt they set fast times for publicity alone. BAR I can't help but think are looking for headlines as ONE of their motivations.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:03 (Ref:862854)   #47
Glen
Veteran

McLaren and Williams both admitted that they were trading quick times in a head to head on light fuel when they were breaking lap records a couple of weeks ago.

Michelin tyres are reputed to be worth about a full second per lap, and the latest BAR seems like a genuinely well worked out car - whilst I do not at all expect BAR to be getting any race wins, I do think it is feasible that they have made a very strong improvement and they can hope for podiums.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:37 (Ref:862897)   #48
Webslinger
Racer

Webslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of you have spoken about headline grabbing and that is just what BAR have been receiving. If headline grabbing was their intention then they have just scored 100% for their efforts!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 16:42 (Ref:862901)   #49
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unquestionably
Old 4 Feb 2004, 21:40 (Ref:863195)   #50
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
To all the Anti-BAR people (read pro-JV and not getting over it), whats the problem?

They are doing one, repeat 1 low fuel qualifying run per day. Cant find the lap times at the moment, but the rest of the day they are running heavy.

We still have a ,low fuel run in Quals (the first half of the session), so its not a waste at all. I dont think BAR are self promoting either, I think the other teams are just afraid to show their hands.

Why is BAR doing the odd speed run? Wrong question, Why is'nt everyone else?