Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2737422)   #26
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
That was more like the Schumacher of old.

David Coulthard: "He never knows when to give it up". You could say that about his career. Oh and David's just said it.
I'm pretty sure Michael probably thought the same about David after Spa 98'. I doubt it would bother him much.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2737423)   #27
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does the term grumpy old man say something here, Barrichello has a right to be very upset, there was no need for that move from Schumacher.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2737424)   #28
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think now might be a good time, DISGRACEFUL incident with Rubens if he doesn't retire now Merecedes should sack him.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2737449)   #29
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenracer View Post
I think now might be a good time, DISGRACEFUL incident with Rubens if he doesn't retire now Merecedes should sack him.
Why was it disgraceful exactly? He gave him just enough room, thats all. If he wanted to pit him into the wall then he would have. Was what Vettel did at the start of the last race disgraceful too? Is it disgraceful anytime someone puts the squeeze on?
It would have been disagraceful if an accident had been caused, I agree on that but I don't see the move as any different from any other piece of defending apart from Michael's name being attached to it.
We want close racing but then as soon as anyone close to another car or defends a position then its suddenly disgraceful.
We'll be taking Michael's 1994 and Senna's 1990 championship away from them next.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2737471)   #30
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Why was it disgraceful exactly? He gave him just enough room, thats all. If he wanted to pit him into the wall then he would have. Was what Vettel did at the start of the last race disgraceful too? Is it disgraceful anytime someone puts the squeeze on?
It would have been disagraceful if an accident had been caused, I agree on that but I don't see the move as any different from any other piece of defending apart from Michael's name being attached to it.
We want close racing but then as soon as anyone close to another car or defends a position then its suddenly disgraceful.
We'll be taking Michael's 1994 and Senna's 1990 championship away from them next.
Comparing a squeeze at the start for position 1 towards the green with a hard push at the straight for position 10 towards the wall is a "little" misguided... And if you've seen so many similar defending moves, just name 3. Thank you.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2737474)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When should Mercedes replace Schumacher?

To turn the question on its head, when should Mercedes replace Schumacher?

In hindsight, Heidfeld would have done better.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2737478)   #32
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannenmann View Post
Comparing a squeeze at the start for position 1 towards the green with a hard push at the straight for position 10 towards the wall is a "little" misguided... And if you've seen so many similar defending moves, just name 3. Thank you.
I think you have the terms 'hard push' and 'squeeze' attached to the wrong incidents there. Vettel's incident (which I saw nothing wrong with) was a hard push, Michaels incident was a dink to the right, hardly a hard push, more of a squeeze.
Oh and most overtakes in the history of the sport involve this sort of thing, this was an extreme version I'll give you that but at the same time whether going 200 MPH or 60 MPH a squeeze is a squeeze, there isn't a difference.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2737481)   #33
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher should be suspended for at least one race.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2737482)   #34
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaffer View Post
Schumacher should be suspended for at least one race.
So should most of the people this season then. So should have Barrichello for some of his boneheads moves at the start of last season. So should have have Kubica and Vettel for their crash at Aussie a few years back.
So should have Hamilton for his weaving incident earlier in the year.

Agree?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2737487)   #35
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh and most overtakes in the history of the sport involve this sort of thing, this was an extreme version I'll give you that but at the same time whether going 200 MPH or 60 MPH a squeeze is a squeeze, there isn't a difference.
so theres no difference between a 60 MPH incident and a 200 MPH incident.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2737489)   #36
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe the stewards should show Michael This to think about, for the next time he pulls one of his dangerous moves.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2737491)   #37
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was pathetic. This is why I don't care for this driver. Absolutely disgusting. Cannot believe his quote to the media. Totally arrogant.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2737492)   #38
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Maybe the stewards should show Michael This to think about, for the next time he pulls one of his dangerous moves.
HOLY SMOKES. That's one of the worst I've seen for a long long time..Exactly what schuey did. I know it's absolutely wrong to say this, but if it actually did cause something like this then maybe the arrogant GF would wake up to his dangerous driving..But probably not.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2737495)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He has the same ruthless moves but without the speed. I can't believe just how rubbish he has become! Did anyone think this possible?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2737501)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slow. Dangerous. Breathtakingly arrogant.

The sport could do without him.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2737502)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

He does add humour though.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:25 (Ref:2737503)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He should jack it in for good after this season.

He's been dropped 10 places for SPA; should have fined him as well.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 1 Aug 2010 at 15:32.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2737510)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I agree 100% Michael's move was very very dangerous...
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2737512)   #44
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let him commentate, then.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2737513)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He's got that smirk.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2737518)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
So should most of the people this season then. So should have Barrichello for some of his boneheads moves at the start of last season. So should have have Kubica and Vettel for their crash at Aussie a few years back.
So should have Hamilton for his weaving incident earlier in the year.

Agree?
No, absolutely not. Bad though they may have been, they bear no comparison to this latest example of many of Schumacher's appalling moves over his F1 career. Whatever his race statistics tell us, his 'greatness' is severely tainted by this sort of behaviour. He has been without doubt consistently the most dangerous F1 racing driver during my years of watching motor racing (and that is more years than I care to say!).
Old 1 Aug 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2737523)   #47
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
A 10-place grid for Spa is totally inadequate, but it may be all the Race Stewards can do. If so, they should have referred it to the WMSC for consideration.

Personally I would have given him a 3-race ban because he has made so many moves like that over the years, and this one was potentially very dangerous, that a marker has to be put down. As a seven-times WDC he is supposed to be setting an example to younger drivers.

Just yesterday there was a British F3 race at Spa where the leader showed massive reluctance to be overtaken. There were three incidents at the end of the Kemmel straight, where the drivers are braking for Les Combes.

One driver got by putting two wheels on the grass, another managed it after several laps of frustration and the third was simply driven into, which saw the guilty party end up in the barriers.

If these younger drivers see Schumacher driving as he does, what are they supposed to think?
Old 1 Aug 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2737526)   #48
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That move could have killed Ruben's, I don't believe that is an overstatement..
Old 1 Aug 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2737531)   #49
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
If a rookie would pull such a move, wouldn't they have taken away his license.

Imagine Yamamoto or Chandhok for instance doing that to one of the other 'slow' cars...
Old 1 Aug 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2737533)   #50
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
That move could have killed Ruben's, I don't believe that is an overstatement..
...and as a minimum it deserves a one race ban in my opinion. Or does someone have to die first?

Actually I think a 'points' system, like we have in the UK on our road driving licences, would work well in F1.

Any move that forces another driver to leave the track when the cars are alongside each other (i.e. cross the white line with two wheels to avoid a collision) should earn the offender points - and the stewards could be empowered to award 1-12 points for a single incident. Once the driver gets 12 points he is banned for the rest of the season. That should do it.

If a driver receives up to 3 points during a race he gets a grid penalty at the next race
If a driver receives 3-6 points during a race he is banned from the next race
If a driver receives 6-9 points during a race he is banned from the next two races
If a driver receives more than 9 points during a race he is banned for the rest of the season

Such a system would hopefully eliminate life-threatening dangerous moves like today and also punish consistently bad driving over a number of races.

These points could also be applied to bad behaviour in the pit lane where the driver, not the team, are at fault. (i.e. not early releases by the lollipop man.)

Last edited by phoenix; 1 Aug 2010 at 16:40.