Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Cool Sites

Old 9 Jan 2005, 06:33 (Ref:1196313)   #1
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad waste of websites

It's sad to see that www.supertouring.com, www.dtm.com and www.formulasaloons.com have all fallen to website speculators. It would have been cool if a true fan could have registered those domains.
Old 9 Jan 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1196331)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are no cybersquatters at www.tega.com.au or www.avesco.com.au ... yet
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Jan 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1198291)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting...Formula Saloons seemed to have abandoned their old website and moved to a new one below...
http://www.supertouringsaloons.com
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1198381)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's because Formula Saloons is no more, and has been replaced by thre meetings for Super Tourers next year.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1198389)   #5
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very much surprised and frustrated after the sad death of Will Hoy his site became nothing more then another domain selling site... I don't know if this is the case now but it would had been nice if a fan had turned it into a celebration of his career so he wouldn't be forgotten.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1198735)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Unfortunatly, that can happen. Domain companies such as this wait for a domain to expire then pick it up automatically. After that, it gets very expensive to get it back which is probably what happened here - no-one realised the domain had expired and then when they did realise and tried to repurchase it, they were quoted an outrageous amount of money to do so
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1199436)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isn't that a form of blackmail?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1199440)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
That's business. Can't blame them really. I've registered a good few expired domains in the past and they have been very useful in diverting our rivals customers to my business
Old 16 Jan 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1202379)   #9
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ricardo Zonta

User twojags sent me an E-mail today asking to link to her unofficial Ricardo Zonta website. Please venture in and have a look.
Why is it in here? She noted that this website was created because his official site, like others mentioned in this thread, is a waste of a good domain.

Thanks for notifying me twojags.
Remember, if you can't post here yet, feel free to send me a message and I'll be hapy to post your link.

Last edited by Magical Trevor; 16 Jan 2005 at 18:40.
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 18 Jan 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1203752)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
That's business. Can't blame them really. I've registered a good few expired domains in the past and they have been very useful in diverting our rivals customers to my business
This whole business has always puzzled me Craig. Can anyone register a domain name? If so, where?
Old 18 Jan 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1203760)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
depends on the domain name, but in general, yes!

www.joker.com - have a look see!
Old 18 Jan 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1203777)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In certain geographies (.com and .nl to name two) you can reclaim a domain in your (business) name if you can prove you had the rights to the name before the current owner.

This is what happened to the http://www.sportscarworld.com predecessor of DailySportscar.com
Old 26 Jan 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1210695)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you have to bring that up?
Old 27 Jan 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1211144)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Did you have to bring that up?
Apologies for raking up old coals. Best not mention TMS then...
Old 27 Jan 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1211159)   #15
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then of course we have the guy that has tentenths.com and is waiting for Nick Mason to buy it off him. I offered a reasonable price for an un-used domain name and got back:

Quote:
My children would accept $2,500 plus an electric guitar autographed by Nick Mason and the other members of Pink Floyd. It's a rather odd request, but...
Old 27 Jan 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1211225)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
If it's a breach of a trademark, the cybersquatter will be ordered to hand it over - happened to a chap that registered marksandspencers.org and other variations on the name.

Also the World Wide Fund for Nature got wwf.com back from the World Wrestling Federation.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1211235)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

...and did we tell you the name of the game, boy - we call it riding the gravy train.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1211300)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
If it's a breach of a trademark, the cybersquatter will be ordered to hand it over - happened to a chap that registered marksandspencers.org and other variations on the name.

Also the World Wide Fund for Nature got wwf.com back from the World Wrestling Federation.
To do this there has to be a court order or a decision by WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organisation www.wipo.int). Court order is problematic as you have to take them to court in the legal durestiction of the defendant. WIPO is easier but costs a minimum of $1500 and you just get the domain name, not costs. So for M&S or WWF it's cost effective. We would also have to prove our "right" to the domain name and as Ten-Tenths isn't a company that was registered before the domain name we would have a difficult case.
Old 6 Feb 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1218840)   #19
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you sign up a domain name you agree to the terms of ICANN for a Top level generic domain name such as .com and the terms of Nominet for a .co.uk. The general rule is that a registration must be in good faith, so anyone passing off as another domain name with typos is likely to breach the terms. The procedure now is becoming quicker to kick out people who are hijacking domain names.

There have also been a number of successful claims for passing off, where people who believe they have the 'right' to register close domains that 'pass off' a legitimate site have had a very nice claim sent through the door.

he he
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2422854)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Then of course we have the guy that has tentenths.com and is waiting for Nick Mason to buy it off him. I offered a reasonable price for an un-used domain name and got back:
Well I've finally managed to aquire tentenths.com as a domain name!
Old 23 Mar 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2422858)   #21
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was just about to ask if 10tenths.com was next on your shopping list, but I see you're already a couple of steps ahead of me...!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2423983)   #22
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow View Post
It would have been cool if a true fan could have registered those domains.
A true fan has registered the domain - www.lyddenhill.com ....
suggest as to what to do with it!!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2423992)   #23
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
A true fan has registered the domain - www.lyddenhill.com ....
suggest as to what to do with it!!
Change the link to tentenths.com instead of ten-tenths.com.com
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2423998)   #24
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Change the link to tentenths.com instead of ten-tenths.com.com
agreed, just doing a little update of that page now
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:51 (Ref:2424021)   #25
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
agreed, just doing a little update of that page now
lol, cool!