Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Aug 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2743273)   #26
KateM
Rookie

KateM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I normally only lurk here but had to sign up to correct this! Ant Davidson has mentioned several times in practice sessions that Webber doesn't use the blue lights on his dashboard. He and Chandhok discussed it twice when Chandhok was in the box for the past couple of races, as Chandhok noticed it too. Both were a bit puzzled as to why he didn't use the blue lights as they are the easiest to see and use, with Ant reckoning it might be a relatively old school thing as drivers usually keep what they know from the junior formulae.

The LEDs can be set up to however a driver likes them. Chandhok noted that Kubica also had an odd set-up, with his lights building up from the outside of both edges towards the centre.

So no, he wasn't short shifting . You can check his pole lap from Barcelona on the F1 official site, no blue lights.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2743289)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
I normally only lurk here but had to sign up to correct this! Ant Davidson has mentioned several times in practice sessions that Webber doesn't use the blue lights on his dashboard. He and Chandhok discussed it twice when Chandhok was in the box for the past couple of races, as Chandhok noticed it too. Both were a bit puzzled as to why he didn't use the blue lights as they are the easiest to see and use, with Ant reckoning it might be a relatively old school thing as drivers usually keep what they know from the junior formulae.

The LEDs can be set up to however a driver likes them. Chandhok noted that Kubica also had an odd set-up, with his lights building up from the outside of both edges towards the centre.

So no, he wasn't short shifting . You can check his pole lap from Barcelona on the F1 official site, no blue lights.
Thanks KateM and welcome, I hope you continue to contribute now that you have broken the ice.

Thanks for the Barcelona reference, it certainly seems that the RedBull only goes to red there.
DarcyM's original post states that Webbers's car was showing blue ligts earlier in the race ... I do not have access to Hungarian GP footage.
Somebody must be able to check.
Maybe its only Vettels car that is configured with the blue light shift pattern?
Old 11 Aug 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2743290)   #28
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
If Sebastian Vettel whines in a Forrest & no there is no one there to hear him does anyone care at all ??

From the same thinking that brought you "I think my effluent has no aroma therefore I am the best in the whole universe"

More seriously, the shift lights are interesting, the ones on Mr Kubica's car look like something out of a video game. if you think about it, they are likely easier to see in sunlight and similar as the build up from the bottom to the top on each side would ensure Mr Kubica knew where the engine was at in the rev range

In the old days, how did the DFV warriors manage without all these lights?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Aug 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2743302)   #29
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By ear, mainly.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2743317)   #30
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The present guys I am sure also shift by ear and feel.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2743422)   #31
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

From the same thinking that brought you "I think my effluent has no aroma therefore I am the best in the whole universe"

More seriously, the shift lights are interesting, the ones on Mr Kubica's car look like something out of a video game. if you think about it, they are likely easier to see in sunlight and similar as the build up from the bottom to the top on each side would ensure Mr Kubica knew where the engine was at in the rev range

In the old days, how did the DFV warriors manage without all these lights?
That Kubica pattern is used in some of the single seaters in Live For Speed, oddly enough. He possibly got the idea from video games, but it is a sensible layout.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2743424)   #32
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I think the F1 designers have missed a trick here. If they used a number system rather than lights, lets say 1-10, then an enterprising designer could make one THAT WENT UP TO 11. There, instant higher RPM. Louder too.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2743551)   #33
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or just make it go up to 11 and do nothing, then watch as the other teams cry foul and it is promptly banned by the FIA.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2743707)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I think the F1 designers have missed a trick here. If they used a number system rather than lights, lets say 1-10, then an enterprising designer could make one THAT WENT UP TO 11. There, instant higher RPM. Louder too.
Well, it's one faster.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2743831)   #35
Busy Bee
Rookie

Busy Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who can watch the GP again, Webber does not refit his steering wheel after leaving the car at the end of the race. Is there not a penalty for this. Sorry its off topic
Old 13 Aug 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2743857)   #36
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he got a $1000 fine. Big deal lol
Old 13 Aug 2010, 01:52 (Ref:2743880)   #37
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
For those who can watch the GP again, Webber does not refit his steering wheel after leaving the car at the end of the race. Is there not a penalty for this. Sorry its off topic
Yes, I saw that too.
He seemed to have an issue with something in the cockpit, but was pulled away by an official before he could finish.
As he walked into the building he mentioned it to a mechanic from Red Bull and they looked like they were off to go and do whatever it was he was doing.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2743893)   #38
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like he told a mechanic to look at it and an FIA official followed the mechanic (as the cars are technically in parc ferme and not allowed to be touched by the team until scruit checks are done IIRC.)
Old 13 Aug 2010, 04:19 (Ref:2743902)   #39
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they were removing the 11th shift light?
Old 13 Aug 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2743973)   #40
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Brundle mentioned that something seemed to still be running in the car (I guess something in the cockpit was humming away).
Old 13 Aug 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2744059)   #41
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps changing the front wing?

/conspiracy
Old 13 Aug 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2744105)   #42
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The electric motor that controls the ride height failed to self destruct at the end of the mission.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2744473)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateM View Post

Best post of the thread/week by far. Thanks.

I didn't know that about Chandhok. I kind of like it, it means that the action happens right in the middle. Seems sensible.