Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Dec 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3692557)   #26
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Watson gad a good one for years too!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 08:09 (Ref:3692625)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing is, back then it was a thing of choice

Now it is a thing of fashion, which is far, far worse!!!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3692645)   #28
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
well its November so this thread is rather fitting. not sure if you guys in the UK have the Movember Foundation out there or not but its essentially a movement which encourages men to grow facial hair, usually mustaches, during the month of November in order to raise awareness/collect donations for men's health issues/cancer.

anyways seeing as we have not much else to talk about during the off season maybe we should get a poll going on which f1 personality has the best facial hair?

my vote will go to Graham Hill...the ultimate in gentlemanly fashion. as awesome today as it was then!

I didn't realise until reading Damon Hill's Autobiography that his dad grew his moustache as a show of defiance against the navy. Apparently they would only accept either a 'full set' (complete beard) or completely clean shaven, but Graham got away with it.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3692672)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems the youth can't grow a tache like that anymore
Old 1 Dec 2016, 15:28 (Ref:3692716)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I didn't realise until reading Damon Hill's Autobiography that his dad grew his moustache as a show of defiance against the navy. Apparently they would only accept either a 'full set' (complete beard) or completely clean shaven, but Graham got away with it.
thanks for sharing that...is that from his new book?
Old 1 Dec 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3692721)   #31
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The thing is, back then it was a thing of choice

Now it is a thing of fashion, which is far, far worse!!!
I mean no one is forcing you to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Seems the youth can't grow a tache like that anymore
There's good reason. You look creepy with a stache like that now.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3692724)   #32
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha, wires crossed.

I think beards are now more of a fashion accessory and some sort of basic sign of manliness! I don't really get it, but couldn't grow one if I tried, They've been popular in the US for decades, but over here have only recently become a must have sign to prove you are a man!!

PLus with a shaved head they look rather ridiculous!
Old 1 Dec 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3692750)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

RThere's good reason. You look creepy with a stache like that now.

Tbh Graham Hill looked a lot like Dick Dastardly to me
Old 1 Dec 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3692772)   #34
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Haha, wires crossed.

I think beards are now more of a fashion accessory and some sort of basic sign of manliness! I don't really get it, but couldn't grow one if I tried, They've been popular in the US for decades, but over here have only recently become a must have sign to prove you are a man!!

When mine gets as long as my fading hair in old age, I put the clippers on No1 and off it comes to stubble again. It's the nearest I've ever got to shaving. Fashion? Crap. As I said, me, pure laziness, can't be ars#d every morning.
No complaints from women over the years, except a few rashes in the wrong places..
Old 2 Dec 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3692901)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Haha, wires crossed.

Did you ever see the show 'Nathan Barley'?

Basically it fairly accurately predicted the future styles and behaviours which i'm not sure the creators realised at the time.
Old 2 Dec 2016, 07:50 (Ref:3692906)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The thing is chunt

Did it say why?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3693931)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
The thing is chunt

Did it say why?
Did what say why?
Old 9 Dec 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3695026)   #38
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to J Watson, IIRC he did a deal with Roger Penske who did not like his beard, the deal was John would shave it off when he won a GP in a Penske car.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3695112)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Back to J Watson, IIRC he did a deal with Roger Penske who did not like his beard, the deal was John would shave it off when he won a GP in a Penske car.
Penske reckoned it was a fire hazard, and Watson did shave it off after his maiden win.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 07:51 (Ref:3695429)   #40
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Penske was Ron Dennis before Ron knew what pedantic was!
Old 21 Dec 2016, 22:19 (Ref:3697718)   #41
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Bella, you've got to cut him some slack; poor chap does come from Stevenage, after all!

And before you mention Hamilton, he really comes from a mansion in Tewin, a few miles outside Stevenage.
Tewin is closer to Shredded Garden City than it is St.Evenage - or at least it was the last time I went there....

And Shredded Wheat always looks like it's got a beard to me...
Old 22 Dec 2016, 08:27 (Ref:3697803)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It's not there anymore, and thankfully neither is the smell!

Also gone is the huge Roche place that was next to it!
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3697860)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

Am I right in thinking there are now houses where the Shredded Wheat factory once was?
Old 22 Dec 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3697884)   #44
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think the SW place is listed, at least some of it is? Was quite an art deco thing.

Roche is all gone, it would likely be industry not houses as it is next to the railway, or apartment blocks.

Shredded Wheat was still there a few years ago, or the shell was. Huge plot of land. Such a shame.