Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Jun 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1641903)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlton Kirby nightmare

Earlier today Carlton Kirby, the worlds worst commentator, was on both Eurosport channels and Motors at the same time!!! So I decided to watch some karting I had recorded on Sky+ and lo and behold he was commentating on that. He interrupts his usual unintelligeble babble with massively glaring errors. Just as an example, during the warm-up lap of a kart race the CoC made them go single file through a few corners. Carlton reliably informs us they will be taking the start in single file. But lo and behold two corners from the start they form up side by side as usual. Then the start gets aborted and Carlton tells us the leaders have aborted the start... umm no that would be the CoC who has done that. Then on the first racing lap a couple of karts spin across the grass and drop down the field and he tells us they may be penalised for taking a short cut...

When will the powers that be realise this man is so inept? He just does not have a clue, witters away to himself but knows nothing about what he is talking about. Today on Eurosport I would have watched the North West 200, the stunt bike riding and on Motors the Le Mans wrap up, but Carltons ineptness forced me to switch. I am watching the karting on mute now.

Please someone get rid of him - in the NW 200 he was reading from a script quite obviously and in the 125 race he told us about Robert Dunlops actions about 5 seconds before they happened and ruined the end of the race for viewers.

Even that idiot James Allen cant out mis-quote Carlton, and thus would be better.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1642955)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who did RWS last year, he was cringe worthy getting every name awfully wrong. Valles and Pagenaud were the ones he struggled with most. I just couldnt watch it.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1642958)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I found Kirby bearable at Le Mans last week, for the first time in recorded history. I think it was because of his Tony Delahunty put downs though regarding the "Pescalairos".

Kirby is a bit of a clot, but he has been around years and is here to stay I suspect.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1643005)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I found Kirby bearable at Le Mans last week, for the first time in recorded history. I think it was because of his Tony Delahunty put downs though regarding the "Pescalairos".
Wasn't that Joe Strummer's last band?
Old 27 Jun 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1643023)   #5
Racer Scott
Racer

Racer Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a mystery why Kirby gets continued employment.

I seem to recall him commentating on synchronised swimming or somesuch at the last Olympics on Eurosport too.

He sounds like a shopping channel script voiceover man let loose on motorsport commentary.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:00 (Ref:1643152)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have some sympathy with the views expressed here, but really it is no more than a 'bash' is it? The point's been made, so I'm now closing this!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1644090)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On appeal from Ghinzani, and following some discussion with fellow mods, we have decided to reopen this thread. However, please remember this is a discussion forum and the rules are that this must be constructive criticism. We don't allow driver bashing, so why should we allow it for commentators, or anyone else, for that matter? If you really want to influence matters (and don't forget livelihoods are potentially at stake here, if you do) why not address your concerns where they may have the most impact; with the TV stations themselves:-

www.motorstv.com

www.eurosport.co.uk

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Jun 2006 at 11:17.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2230348)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to say I very much enjoyed Carltons commentary at Le Mans this year - I put it on mute everytime he was doing a stint!! Shame he ruined the end of the race though (baby daughter had the remote so I couldnt mute it) - 1 gem that did shine through was him saying Kristensen was breaking his own record - well yes his, and a certain Mr Ickx!
It seems Eurosport are using him more and more - thank goodness ITV4 is getting a decent spread so I dont have to watch Eurospurt for my fix.

On the plus side Martin Haven was great again at the WTCC - hes good in the same way Toby & Julian are on the bikes.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2230361)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree that he much worse than James Allen, even Allen doesn't do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPmcbHIdSY
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2230367)   #10
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
oh oh oh.....my
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2230370)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Poor poor Gareth Rees.. oh oh, for a moment there I though he would get a word in edgeways. Phew!
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2230373)   #12
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a massive crash, and you can tell that Carlton is shocked and concerned for Dumbreck.

He made a few howlers at Le man, and we know he's not the most knowledgable, but sheesh give the guy a break !

Last edited by JamesRamone; 16 Jun 2008 at 20:23.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2230375)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

khalithistle's comment below the video sums it up so well..
Old 16 Jun 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2230393)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
That was a massive crash, and you can tell that Carlton is shocked and concerned for Dumbreck.

He made a few howlers at Le man, and we know he's not the most knowledgable, but sheesh give the guy a break !
Sorry, but that was an object lesson in how not to handle a commentary when there is a serious accident.

And anyone who says "oh my life" should be automatically banned from all work. Actually, from life itself.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2230420)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Just to say I very much enjoyed Carltons commentary at Le Mans this year - I put it on mute everytime he was doing a stint!! Shame he ruined the end of the race though (baby daughter had the remote so I couldnt mute it) - 1 gem that did shine through was him saying Kristensen was breaking his own record - well yes his, and a certain Mr Ickx!
Point of order...wasn't he sort of, well, correct on this point? Kristensen 8, Ickx 6...
Old 16 Jun 2008, 23:51 (Ref:2230481)   #16
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I have to agree that he much worse than James Allen, even Allen doesn't do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPmcbHIdSY
I found this to be equally terrible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgVLlir3RtA
Old 17 Jun 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2230766)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Point of order...wasn't he sort of, well, correct on this point? Kristensen 8, Ickx 6...
I thought Ickx won 7? My bad! maybe I can get a commentating job now?
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2231394)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Who is it that pronouces Uwe Alzen as Oo-wer Alzen? Surely it's pronounced You-vay?

Anyway, I'd like to add the coverage of Jon Lancaster's Hockenheim Euroseries smash to the list of Kirby horror stories.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2231410)   #19
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe we could get in contact with Carlton (i'm sure it's not that hard), and get him to come on and defend himself ? It's all well and good bashing him for his mistakes, and unorthadox style, but what good does actually result in?

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2231441)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

He might stop.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2231455)   #21
Roadtonowhere
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Roadtonowhere should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is one thing that really annoys me. Leave the guy alone. I feel he's a damn site better than some other commentators out there and I give him my full backing in a crisis. I mean do you guys and girls want a drool person telling you whats going on cause I sure don't I find his humour sometimes annoying but can't we all be like that sometimes. Like I said it's great to have a bit of humour in the commentary, so please don't knock the guy down unless you've had as much training or can do as good a job as him.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2231858)   #22
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtonowhere
I mean do you guys and girls want a drool person telling you whats going
I want someone who can commentate, there are plenty of people out there that can.

I am sure he is a nice guy, the recorded stuff he does for Eurosport is great, but live commentary is not his forte
Old 18 Jun 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2231958)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtonowhere
This is one thing that really annoys me. Leave the guy alone. I feel he's a damn site better than some other commentators out there and I give him my full backing in a crisis. I mean do you guys and girls want a drool person telling you whats going on cause I sure don't I find his humour sometimes annoying but can't we all be like that sometimes. Like I said it's great to have a bit of humour in the commentary, so please don't knock the guy down unless you've had as much training or can do as good a job as him.
Humour is absolutely fine, however there is one key component that a commentator must posess - the ability to commentate.

I would be rubbish at commentating, no doubt about it. But that is why I have not applied to do it and, indeed, don't do it.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2232048)   #24
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlton may not be the worlds greatest, but he is bearable. Unlike Tony Delahunty...I'm still scarred with the memories of his awful WTCC commentaries at Magny Cours a couple of years ago!
Old 18 Jun 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2232084)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, my ears never quite recovered!