Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Oct 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2974710)   #51
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kevin - hope you are well - how much of the decision is based on ability to raise funding to progress up the ladder...? I think SM has been stand out guy this season - but I wonder his lack of backing may stand against him.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2974804)   #52
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWRF01 View Post
Kevin - hope you are well - how much of the decision is based on ability to raise funding to progress up the ladder...? I think SM has been stand out guy this season - but I wonder his lack of backing may stand against him.
Scott has been very much in demand of late. He has been driving for Ford today at Silverstone helping them to develop the new ECOBOOST car and he told me some very exciting news yesterday at the Henry Surtees Foundation Karting Fundraiser event but as it hasn't been announced yet I don't feel that it is appropriate to spill the beans here. But it will be common knowledge very soon.

I just want to wish him the very best of luck. He very much deserves his chance!
Old 23 Oct 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2975374)   #53
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWRF01 View Post
Hello!

I'm fine thanks. Hope you are too.

I would say the ability to raise funding is a very minor consideration. We're attempting to find the best junior British driver each year, not the richest. It has to be down to what happens at the test otherwise I think we'd be wasting the drivers' - and our own - time.

If I recall correctly, James Calado was already sorted for 2010 and Dean Smith wasn't when they came up against each other in the 2009 tests. You could argue then - and indeed now - that Calado's backing and chances of making it were/are greater, but Dean did the job on the day.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2985608)   #54
Deemun
Racer

Only 3 weeks now until we find out the identity of the 2011 Award winner. Anyone care to make a prediction? Just for fun of course.

I always think its a shame that its a winner take all prize with nothing for 2nd & 3rd but all six finalists should be proud of themselves for being there.

I don't envy the judges job their job.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2985898)   #55
carbontub
Racer

carbontub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Blomqvist is my pick, how he didn't win it last year is beyond me. Youngest ever winner of British Formula Renault and the guy second in the same championship wins the award. HELLO !!!!!
Old 13 Nov 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2985905)   #56
Deemun
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbontub View Post
Tom Blomqvist is my pick, how he didn't win it last year is beyond me. Youngest ever winner of British Formula Renault and the guy second in the same championship wins the award. HELLO !!!!!
Comment noted but if you read the point that KT (one of the judges) makes several times further up this thread the performance during the season is what gets the drivers selected as finalists in the first place. Once they arrive at the competition the slate is wiped clean and it's how they perform during the competition itself that decides who comes out on top.

Williamson was adjudged to have done the best job over the 2 days last year so won the competition. It's as simple as that.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2988342)   #57
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said Deemun. That is exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemun View Post
All six finalists should be proud of themselves for being there. I don't envy the judges job their job.
Also spot on. Obviously I can't give anything away, but I must say that the standard was really very high this year. It was pretty exciting to watch too, but it does make the decision-making more difficult!
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:28 (Ref:2994943)   #58
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://awards.autosport.com/live-video/
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2995269)   #59
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oliver Rowland wins.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2995275)   #60
rddave
Rookie

rddave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Oliver Rowland wins.
McLaren and RSF backing..... No need to say anymore

Disgrace
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:00 (Ref:2995278)   #61
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another shambles of an awards.....
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2995280)   #62
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Oli.
To win the award in your first season in cars is exceptional.
Oli, his family and the Fortec team, especially Russ & 'Tish', should feel very proud.

It's a shame some people here are unwilling to accept the judges decision with good grace.

Last edited by EastonNeston; 5 Dec 2011 at 00:14.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2995288)   #63
rddave
Rookie

rddave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Congratulations to Oli.
To win the award in your first season in cars is exceptional.
Oli, his family and the Fortec team, especially Russ & 'Tish', should feel very proud.

It's a shame some people here are unwilling to accept the judges decision with good grace.
Good Grace has nothing to do with this so called award.

It's just pure politics.

There was a time back in the day that I used to believe that they genuinely tryed to help up and coming drivers, but alas, those days are long gone.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2995291)   #64
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RSF/ McLaren backed driver wins McLaren backed award.

At least Hamilton had the decency to rule himself out by doing and end of season F3 race.

I would love to know the truth behind those test days, but then that would ruin it all wouldn't it?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2995293)   #65
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this specifically because Oli was selected? or would you have had this reaction if any of the six, except your preferred driver (Scott Malvern) had won?

I'm interested by your reaction, Kevin Turner has explained to the satisfaction of most people the process of selecting the finalists and how the final tests were carried out.

As probably the finalist with the least experience in cars, for Oli to have performed best in the finals and win the award is an exceptional achievement.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2995379)   #66
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rowland IMO should not even contest, he's backed by McLaren already.

Yes, Malvern was pre event fav, but as on so many occasions in previous years, that means nothing.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 07:54 (Ref:2995409)   #67
FFmygale
Racer

England
UK
FFmygale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Admittedly I am one of those who would have liked to have seen Malvern win this..... But that's actually a bit irrelevant to this comment!

The trouble is that Rowland may have actually produced the best performance of the test and could easily be a justifiable winner, however, the problem is that we never get to find out. If the result really is based on performance in the test, then why is it not more transparent? Why are the timing and other performance details not made public?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 08:09 (Ref:2995415)   #68
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
These Awards throw up a fair bit of controversy each year.

I think the truth is that it is actually very difficult to pick six finalists each year. Not because there isn't plenty of good talent out there, there is, but because there really aren't anything like six possible standouts to select each year.

Each driver has a chance going into the tests but, this year was no different to most.

Zamperelli and Blomqvist were always unlikely to win, for various reasons, and Bernstorff and Malvern were outsiders.

That only left Lynn and Rowland and when (as F2 staffers blabbed) Lynn, under pressure to improve his performance, shunted the Super FPA car it was really all over.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2995425)   #69
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFmygale View Post
Admittedly I am one of those who would have liked to have seen Malvern win this..... But that's actually a bit irrelevant to this comment!

The trouble is that Rowland may have actually produced the best performance of the test and could easily be a justifiable winner, however, the problem is that we never get to find out. If the result really is based on performance in the test, then why is it not more transparent? Why are the timing and other performance details not made public?
I would like to second that.

Those of us who were rooting for a particular driver will obviously feel a little perplexed at this result. With 18 championship wins, 4 Eurocups and the Festival victory obviously I thought Malvern was in with a shout with the opposition likely to come from Lynn, who had also had a dominant season.

When I saw Lynn win Club Driver of the Year I was even more convinced since this often seems to be a consolation prize but when he unfortunately shunted at Copse I thought this really might be Malvern's year.

I think when somebody comes from the outfield, without a particularly impressive season behind him (yet substancial backing from the prize sponsor) and snatches the award together with the cheque that would appear unnecessary to his future in the sport, we the readers of the esteemed magazine deserve a more detailed explanation of the judging process.

I'm not saying he's not a deserving winner, just that it's completely impossible to know given the lack of any evidence.

In the absence of that transparency, I will remain perplexed to say the least....
Old 5 Dec 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2995464)   #70
Peter Cammish
Rookie

Peter Cammish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio, I not sure if Oliver has full Mclaren Backing, I think it is more a helping hand, I think Lewis ruled himself out due to his full on Mclaren backing which was off course the right thing to do, I guess another thought is should RSF guys get in? Difficult one that as I am sure the money for Ollie will go to the team so the RSF backers might be able to give another young guy a helping hand so we have to be carefull on this i think?

I generally get insulted when i post so I am always wary, I understand the FF fans frustration believe me! but the fact is FR UK is a much higher level in terms of teams/data etc (not driving) and it has to be incredible difficult to come from FF to the Autosport Awards and perhaps the organisers should look at a balance, why not put a FF in the test along with a wing car it is after all a driving competition so why load the competition in favour of guys from FR?

I did post that I thought Rowland was the quickest guy in the 6 and I still believe that, he is very impetuous but throughout his career he has had speed and I think he can go a long way and he has the RSF guys to keep him on the straight and narrow and guide him, look at Calado, who is for me the best of our current prospects(?), it is not difficult to see Oliver making similar progress.

Also I still think it is difficult to choose a winner who might not be racing in 2012 but that is my own opinion and not one I can base on fact. Have a good end to 2011 and good luck in 2012. Peter.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2995468)   #71
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
congratulations to oliver rowland, i'm sure it's well deserved.

i can't be arsed to get involved with the "but .... deserved to win" discussions, they're tired and always sound the same just with another name substituted every year.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2995473)   #72
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cammish View Post
I generally get insulted when i post so I am always wary, I understand the FF fans frustration believe me! but the fact is FR UK is a much higher level in terms of teams/data etc (not driving) and it has to be incredible difficult to come from FF to the Autosport Awards and perhaps the organisers should look at a balance, why not put a FF in the test along with a wing car it is after all a driving competition so why load the competition in favour of guys from FR
HA Ha you are not the only one who gets insulted! You should check out the club single seater threads lol! I don't mind, water off a duck's back at my age....

I do like FF whether Kent or Duratec but I'm not as hard core as some, I just think a year or so in a non aero car is a good idea to produce the best from a driver long term. FR has never been on the radar personally simply because of budget, but you'd have to be an idiot to say that a driver going straight to FR and being successful shouldn't be a worthy winner. The facts say otherwise. For me I think it's a matter of frustration on how it is judged and the lack of transparency.

I think the idea of having a FF MSA spec car as one of the vehicles drivers had to test would be a great idea. It would certainly balance up the competition and maybe avoid some of the discontent felt by people like me who feel, rightly or wrongly, that it is skewed towards the haves rather than those who don't quite have so much.....
Old 5 Dec 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2995475)   #73
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(rats, i'm going to get involved with this now)

do you not think that if they came out and explained the judging processes in detail that could skew it even further towards the "haves" because they could afford to prepare in much more detail?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2995477)   #74
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
congratulations to oliver rowland, i'm sure it's well deserved.

i can't be arsed to get involved with the "but .... deserved to win" discussions, they're tired and always sound the same just with another name substituted every year.
I know what you mean but how would you feel about a non aero car being involved in the tests? Or are you happy with everything as it is?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2995479)   #75
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
(rats, i'm going to get involved with this now)

do you not think that if they came out and explained the judging processes in detail that could skew it even further towards the "haves" because they could afford to prepare in much more detail?
Oh dear you are in the debate now!

I don't know. We won't know unless it's more transparent will we? But I'd like to find out.