Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Sep 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1084455)   #1
craig hope
Racer

England
near darlington
craig hope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
public

I was at the classic bike meeting at croft at the weekend and we had a rider fall of, as the track was still live we had the riders son and wife jump the fence and run across the track to the rider, in the mean time the race was stopped and the doctor dispatched the son picked up the bike and as we all now that this should not be moved until we know the driver will be ok.. He would not leave the track without his father. we all now he would be upset but how do we deal with this it's the first time it has happened to me....oh and we were short of marshals as a lot of you think classics are boring mmmmmm..

Cheers folks

Had anything like this happen to you ??
Old 2 Sep 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1084469)   #2
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had similar incident while marshalling cadet karts some years ago, the kart had flipped and the poor kid was underneath, and I called for a doctor.

Luckly we had a few marshalls and if memory serves I was with the driver, sombody was with the Kart and 4 people were with the father holding him back.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1084503)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Craig, there are several issues here. One of security whereby spectators should not be able to gain access to the circuit and the other where the bike/car/kart should not be moved until medical supervision has arrived.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:22 (Ref:1084537)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We had a similar incident at silverstone when a lot of people jumped of the pitwall to "help" in an incident while the track was still live. Needless to say they only got in the way!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1084959)   #5
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm, that brings back very unpleasent memories of the Kart GP at Brands. I was observing at Paddock In (Post 2) when we had two fatalites in different races. The second one, at post 3/3a was "Complicated" by the driver's wife getting on the track from the public enclosure. Not nice. I was in the Kentagon at "lunch" when I was confronted by the first driver's family and friends, quite fightly asking me who was to blame. However much you want to feel for them you MUST follow laid down procedures, even if it goes against you better judgement. Therefore all steps must be taken to stop the driver's son from moving the bike. How would his mother feel if he had been collected by another bike? Don't bear thinking about does it?
Motor racing is dangerous.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1084967)   #6
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig,
Which part of the circuit was this incident at?
Al.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1085000)   #7
garry heale
Rookie

garry heale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshalling at a schoolboy motorcross event at Hatherton nr Nantwich,and we had this young lad in the cadet class go a "right wollop" & his dad came running over and told his son to get back on the bike,said something to me,which i can"t print here about getting his lad on the bike. the lad was crying his heart out souting about his arm which when a doctor arrived found out it was broken,all his old man wanted to do was get him in the race.What a muppet!!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1085043)   #8
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like a letter to Motorsport news might be needed, it might make him realise that his son's health is more important than a bike race.
The said father and brother should have been ejected from the circuit, they were a danger to themselves, others, and most importanty, YOU
Lee
Old 2 Sep 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1085105)   #9
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by F1JordanUk
It looks like a letter to Motorsport news might be needed, Lee
Oh that will do the trick won't it.
Has it got an ABC verified weekly circulation of more than 17 rally drivers and a dog nowadays?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1085146)   #10
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No!17 rally drivers, a dog and several hundred rally marshals of whom I'm one. It certainly does a far better job than the over priced, over hyped glossies with their gross adverts!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1085201)   #11
F1JordanUk
Racer

England
Stroud, Gloucester, UK
F1JordanUk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And you stand a chance of getting a letter in it rather than the couple they print in the shiny mags once a month, and it's a far better read than them to
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1085236)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not had a problem like this, but working in pit lanes I often ask members of the public to leave. In my opinion, a working "live" pit lane is no place for inexperienced people, especially those who blatantly ignore the warning signs and bring small children with them.

We have warning signs up all over the place and while closed gates may be something of a deterrent to unauthorised people, regrettably open garage doors are an invitation for anyone to walk in, sometimes clutching alcoholic drink.

On Sunday I was horrified to see one chap with a small child (aged about three) struggling to get the buggy with a very tiny baby in it, onto the pit wall at Donington. How he'd got so far without me spotting him I have no idea but when I asked him to leave he said he'd never been to a race meeting before and his driver friend told him he could watch from the pit lane!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1085325)   #13
craig hope
Racer

England
near darlington
craig hope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Green
Craig,
Which part of the circuit was this incident at?
Al.

it was at the complex alan they came over between in and out over the fence and the barrier....
Old 3 Sep 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1085612)   #14
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila M, I am assuming you let them struggle onto the pit wall before you told them that they can't be there.

Old 3 Sep 2004, 15:05 (Ref:1085995)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MN has an ABC of around 32,000.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1086277)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
Sheila M, I am assuming you let them struggle onto the pit wall before you told them that they can't be there.

But of course! Wouldn't have been nearly as much fun otherwise!