Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

View Poll Results: so who's going to win then?
sam bird 0 0%
joey foster 9 29.03%
james jakes 4 12.90%
oliver jarvis 8 25.81%
joe tandy 4 12.90%
duncan tappy 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Oct 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1444111)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
mclaren autosport brdc award - the shortlist

The six McLaren Autosport BRDC Award nominees have been named.

They are Formula Renault UK champion Oliver Jarvis and frontrunner James Jakes, Formula BMW UK runner-up Sam Bird, Formula Ford Festival winner Duncan Tappy, Formula Palmer Audi champion Joe Tandy and US Formula Ford 2000 runner-up Joey Foster.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1444161)   #2
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that the FPA champion was chosen when two of the judges are PalmerSport employees.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1444165)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the fpa champion has been nominated for quite a few years though, if i remember rightly. and the age criteria have been adjusted this year too...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1444511)   #4
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very disappointed by the final six:

Why does Sam Bird (who has plenty of money, and is managed by two ex-F1 drivers, meaning his route to F1 is guaranteed if he needs it) deserve the prize more than Dean Smith, who actually won the Formula BMW title, or Matt Howson who won multiple races?

And James Jakes? Has nobody noticed that he HASN'T WON A RACE.

I'll be supporting Duncan Tappy and Joey Foster (who should have won years ago)
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:02 (Ref:1444523)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
No Susie Stoddard?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1444524)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
jakes is also loaded, while we're at it.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1444526)   #7
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
No Susie Stoddard?
She's no longer eligible as she has raced in F3.

Can we also give this thread the award's correct title by inserting the words "McLaren" and "BRDC" in the appropriate places?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1444553)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
we could do, but surely the discussion's more important (when i get a moment's boredom, yes, i'll sort that out).

so who *would* you nominate? surely dean smith wouldn't win the award, he seemed to be a by default winner of the fbmw title. and matt howson, i'd agree that he might have been a more... worthy choice. but surely the fact that sam bird has the proper managerial backing and financial backing in place means he's less likely to "waste" the award money and test drive, and in 2 years he'll be graduating from f3. which looks better than someone like howson who might in 2 years still be struggling for a budget?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1444615)   #9
sceptic
Veteran

Sam lost the BMW title because he cracked under pressure, just like Phil Glew last year.

Dean is seen as an unworthy winner because he doesn't have the right image for a racing driver. I don't understand why Matt isn't there.

Giving the award to Sam just because he's already likely to make it would be a cop-out by the organisers, and would just prove that they are desperate to find a winner who actualy goes on to be successful... because they haven't had much of that recently.

The six drivers I nominated only includes two who made it to the final list: Tappy and Jarvis. I do accept that Foster is a good nominee though, someone very much in the vein of Alex Lloyd or Jamie Green, and I'm a bit disappointed that I had forgotten him.

I picked Smith and Howson from BMW, and one other Formula Ford driver, and a national class F3 driver.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1444621)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
national class f3 driver... so josh fisher? i'd think he's as good a nomination as james jakes. considering how little testing he had him and the team were very competitive.

it might seem like a cop-out nominating someone like sam bird, but how can the award maintain respect if they don't continue to back drivers who at least have part of what's needed in place to become a top driver? if you back drivers who don't have the financial support at least partially in place, you're effectively backing a losing horse. not smart.

after all, di resta won last year, and he's not short of a bob or two or a bit of management in the right direction now, is he?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1444634)   #11
sceptic
Veteran

No, but equally Paul will always be at a disadvantage because he will be compared to Dario or Marino.

And last year's six weren't particularly strong competition. I actually wanted Jonathan to win last year, although Paul would have been my second choice.

The previous year I was certain that Ben Clucas would win... and only changed my mind and picked Alex while I was sitting in the hall eating my starter.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1444648)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i don't think paul is compared to either of the franchitti brothers, it's certainly never crossed my mind to do that. in fact, i'm not sure i've ever seen it done before... and it's hardly a disadvantage that outweighs say, the advantage of being well backed.

last year's six i'd say aren't too much worse than this years. this year joey foster certainly has the experience but not the money, sam bird is perhaps the one who needs to do a lot of growing up first and shouldn't really win on that basis, i've no idea how good duncan tappy is in reality but compared to the rest of the fford field he's not bad, joe tandy, absolutely no idea, oli jarvis has definitely improved, and he beat james jakes who should really have won hands down considering the amount of money that's thrown at his racing career.

perhaps this year a politically correct winner will be chosen...

i am right in saying the age limit has gone up this year? without it doing so i can't really think of many younger drivers who are showing the promise. it's a shame ben hanley isn't eligable...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 01:57 (Ref:1444673)   #13
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Duncan Tappy would get my vote. He has done extremely well this year.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1444760)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

Yes the age limit has gone up - otherwise neither Foster nor Tappy would be on the list.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1444769)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The intent of these awards is always to tag on to the guy most likely to make it, not the best or most deserving guy.

And I about choked on the comment that the award "could be worth as much as £250,000 in other sponsorship."

Yes, and you could get a clue; but thats unlikely.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1444904)   #16
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Emma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, well I don't know why Sam Bird wasn't nominated because he really deserves to be. IMO he should have won the FBMW title long before Brands, but hey that's life. And yes, he may have cracked under pressure but surely the car was partly to blame for the disaster of Race 2? Hmm...

Anyway, I'd nominate Oliver Jarvis, he was certainly he best out of the lot.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1444908)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is also worth remembering that James Jakes team boss is one of the judges aswell....
Old 27 Oct 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1444926)   #18
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
OK, well IMO, Sam Bird because he really deserves to be. IMO he should have won the FBMW title long before Brands, but hey that's life. And yes, he may have cracked under pressure but surely the car was partly to blame for the disaster of Race 2? Hmm...

Anyway, I'd nominate Oliver Jarvis, he was certainly he best out of the lot.

PS why can't I find edit??
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1444954)   #19
Emma
Racer

England
Shropshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
It is also worth remembering that James Jakes team boss is one of the judges aswell....
Isn't that a little unfair? Of course he's going to vote for him!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1444959)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that's the nature of the business, it happened with palmersport and fpa in the same award as russfeld pointed out.

in the frenault context, jakes is one of the better british drivers, behind jarvis. and looking at it from a purely facts based point (and even including the fact he hasn't won here yet), he's more likely to make it up to gp2 at least.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1444976)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm curious about the background to all this. It looks as though the BRDC has less involvement this year and that MotorSport Vision have stepped in to fill the breach. The evaluation tests are being held at Snetterton, rather than Silverstone, and the single-seater is a World Series by Renault car, rather than an F3.

The driver selection is not too bad, although I know nothing much about Joe Tandy, and it would be just as easy to pick another half dozen drivers. Apart from Josh Fisher, I would like to have seen Ben Clucas given another chance, but perhaps that isn't allowed?
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1445031)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
susie has been nominated twice, i believe...
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1445059)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many drivers have been nominated a couple of times over the years.

I think at least one of the winners was on their second time round
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1445496)   #24
boycie
Racer

boycie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the only driver I think has any claim on deserving the award this year is Duncan Tappy, he's done brilliantly well. Jarvis & Jakes should have done better. i hope the evaluations go well for Duncan
Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1445534)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
how could jarvis have done any better?