Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Apr 2000, 06:51 (Ref:7257)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read a rumour today which states that there is the possibility of all of the cars using a standard bodyshell template, and the Taurus is the name connected to it. What do ya'll think of this?
Old 27 Apr 2000, 15:47 (Ref:7258)   #2
MR_MRee
Rookie

MR_MRee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were considering it for a short time but due to the backlash from the fans the idea has been scrapped for the time being.

There has also been talk of using spec engines based on the Chevy SB-2 engine that all of the General Motors cars currently use.

I'm totaly opposed to the common body templates but I think the spec engines might be a good idea.Ultimately,this would put the deciding factor as to had the best motor in the hands of the engine builders,tuners and the teams that can better apply the horsepower to the ground.

[This message has been edited by MR_MRee (edited 27 April 2000).]
Old 27 Apr 2000, 19:20 (Ref:7259)   #3
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A major-league bad idea. Don't they realize that spec racing isn't usually exciting, because the cars are TOO equal?

But then again, why the hell not? They pass these cars off as "stock" cars. So why not with a common template with Chevy and Ford stickers? Once again, NASCAR is getting famous and forgetting how and who got them there.
Old 27 Apr 2000, 19:24 (Ref:7260)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I heard that teams would have to use a head to SB2 spec, fitted to their own engine. This included Ford and Pontiac! (?)

I couldn't quite see the blue oval going for GM products on their cars, or even how the parts would be compatible.

All teams use Ford axles and steering geometries, but this is to avoid expense and to ensure a steady supply of parts.
The cars are basically all the same design until the plastic caps are fitted front and rear. Until the car recieves it's final sheet metal, the chassis are identical.
The engine is what differentiates the cars, and to do this would destroy a long heritage of inter-marque rivalry.

Just my opinion.

Old 28 Apr 2000, 19:51 (Ref:7261)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is already too generic for me. Except for the engine, their identity is in nameplate only. I miss the days when Fords were Fords, etc etc

Brand loyalty helped build stockcar racing. Just when Dodge is getting back in, they want to take another step towards clone cars? Baaaad idea.
Old 29 Apr 2000, 03:21 (Ref:7262)   #6
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed,
Common templates/body is a terrible idea. NASCAR makes a big mistake if they go there. Looks like, once again, they have shelved the idea. I just hope it stays on the shelf!

Lee
Old 29 Apr 2000, 06:20 (Ref:7263)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is just another of my conspiracy theories, but i think they did give tham all a spec body and different headlights/grill without making it public, nobody watching at the track or on tv would be able to tell, and you'd all still love it the same
Old 29 Apr 2000, 15:42 (Ref:7264)   #8
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On tv you could definitely be able to tell. At the track at speed, I couldn't say, haven't been to a WC race live, but I assume it would be more difficult.