Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3056291)   #1501
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Ok, noted. I thought that the VE and FG NZV8 were the new gen/NZCOT cars. My mistake.

Starfleet general order 1: (Prime Directive) Total noninterference in another culture's internal affairs, natural development and progression. So I can't divulge any secrets from that race I watched. Now to fight off rogue Klingons and Romulans. *Beam me up Scotty!*

Seriously, that's the reason why. Just a accidental mix up.
Don't worry, happens all the time, just ask some of the posters here
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3056301)   #1502
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
How is it petty? He was found to be infringing on the rules and was penalised accordingly?
Non performance enhancing for a start, new series that does not seem to have all its ducks in a row no matter how they care to spin it.

I am not a ST Fanboy clearly but there are a few things that irk me already.

First round: all the guys that built light cars have to add weight to match the heavy cars? Why not a weight figure that everyine builds to and stick to it.

Vents added to the bonnets beacuse they are running too hot. The team releases that state the readings are inaccurate and the temps and fine. Then bang, instant BBQ!!

Just seems petty really, they clearly are making changes on the run as they find faults.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3056310)   #1503
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
Non performance enhancing for a start, new series that does not seem to have all its ducks in a row no matter how they care to spin it.

Just seems petty really, they clearly are making changes on the run as they find faults.
Ever been an aircraft engineer? I have, and I can tell you that they are constantly making modifications to aircraft designs as faults become apparent, even years after they have been in service. For a brand new car in a brand new series we can expect there will continue to be faults springing up, and it doesn't matter how much testing you do you will never catch them all. They should get smaller as time and race km's pass though.

The same will likely be the case for the new gen NZV8's, especially if they start running other engine types.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3056404)   #1504
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
First round: all the guys that built light cars have to add weight to match the heavy cars? Why not a weight figure that everyine builds to and stick to it.
You can't "build" a car to a weight, you build the car lighter than you need it and then ballast it, with the added benefit of improving weight distribution or cross weights.

Pretty much you're always going to build something like this as light as you can get away with, then put as much weight as you can as low as possible, and wherever in the car it most improves the handling.

As for reliability/engine temps, no testing can ever duplicate what happens in a race meeting.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3056702)   #1505
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Non performance enhancing for a start
That was what was stated in the finding. Not my place to explain how/why but there are a couple of useful spin offs to being able to alter the length of the 3 link.

Teflon Johnny runs clean tho. Thats why we ALL love him
Old 10 Apr 2012, 20:46 (Ref:3056762)   #1506
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
You can't "build" a car to a weight, you build the car lighter than you need it and then ballast it, with the added benefit of improving weight distribution or cross weights.

Pretty much you're always going to build something like this as light as you can get away with, then put as much weight as you can as low as possible, and wherever in the car it most improves the handling.

As for reliability/engine temps, no testing can ever duplicate what happens in a race meeting.
Set a weight limit for the class before the season starts, build the car light, add the weight where you want to get to that weight.
How hard does that sound?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 22:55 (Ref:3056852)   #1507
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Set a weight limit for the class before the season starts, build the car light, add the weight where you want to get to that weight.
How hard does that sound?
Part of the problem was that as many of the cars were so new many of the composite panels had not arrived, which made the cars without them heavier. I don't think there was a problem at Ruapuna from what I can gather? The teams would have had time to sort it out by then. Hampton Downs was very close timing for some!
Old 12 Apr 2012, 04:33 (Ref:3057596)   #1508
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving a discussion re independent board from the ruapuna thread to this as it seems a better place for it

I know a few of the board members and they are good people I just don't think they are the right people to run the sport if they compete in it, I think most of them would be great to run it and have good ideas and people like Gary Pederson are very honest just when problems like the tech issue from the weekend come up its not a good look when they are on the board. Now I know Gary would never ask or expect a favor from the tech guy but when it happens to someone else they will point to the time Gary's team got away with it.

The people are the investors they yes got the thing up and running, they deserve any return that may come to them as they stumped up in the first place but that doesn't mean they need to be on the board.

My local league club isn't run by the players it's run by a committee where we have one player on the board.

If you want to grow the sport you need to set it up correctly there would be many people with a large interest in the sport willing to help supertourers that have a lot of business experience that don't own a car in the series look at the directors and the ones added after 16 September 2010, you have J mac also a shareholder also a team owner, Chris Abbott also a shareholder no team ownership that I know of, and Wayne Mclaughlin not a share holder but a team owner that to me is not adding independents. We have had some good people in motorsport that could help the ST class grow.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 04:47 (Ref:3057601)   #1509
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also would like to clear something up I have said that Mark Petch may have some ownership in the Scott car I have been told that is not true at all and would like anyone effected to understand it was a mistake on my side listening to the rumor mill a little to much with out checking. So Sorry for any misunderstanding

Back to the discussion
Old 12 Apr 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3057986)   #1510
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some news with your morning coffee...

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/13/...ngine-builder/
Old 12 Apr 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3058005)   #1511
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hmm i'm sure the oil surge issue with the LS7 was brought up on here last year *shrugs*
Old 12 Apr 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3058017)   #1512
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I thought the thing with these pushrod Chev engines is that they are all very reliable and race proven but if the Aussies have been having problems with the Moslers then maybe not.

I assume the LS3 is not plagued by these problems? Might have to switch to Ford otherwise, bound to be more reliable
Old 13 Apr 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3058278)   #1513
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
..... and Wayne Mclaughlin not a share holder but a team owner that to me is not adding independents.
Wayne is a shareholder according to the Companies website. He's also a top bloke.
Old 15 Apr 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3059834)   #1514
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see on the website now we are back to 7 rounds, one round in Aug/Sep at a TBC location.

Have also read the apparent engine probs have been resolved with a new crankcase breather system, hopefully all sorted for Manfield in 2 weeks!
Old 19 Apr 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3061808)   #1515
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
V8SuperTourer South African expansion halted

South African motor racing authorities are still pursuing a similar path, but believe they will need to build their own technical package based around smaller cars more popular in South Africa such as the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze.

WTCC anyone?
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:04 (Ref:3061837)   #1516
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
WTCC anyone?[/QUOTE]

Meaning ? for a web lingo impaired person.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3061839)   #1517
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
WTCC anyone?
Meaning ? for a web lingo impaired person. [/QUOTE]

I think he means World Touring Car Championship
Old 19 Apr 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3061845)   #1518
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
World Touring Car Championship

Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3061855)   #1519
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a brilliant idea! All that technology and cost wrapped up in a fragile (2nd hand and burnt out) package.
The bloke with the biggest chequebook gets to buy the latest fastest toy and go winning. The rest can drop a bundle trying to keep up.
Awesome! Premix for President
Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3061866)   #1520
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it wanna translate the previous post

burnt out?

is he talking about the Knight car?

not sure what's 2nd hand about a series only 2 rounds old?

who knows *shrugs*
Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3061869)   #1521
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Funny post that. I have always considered the gentlemen in question to be particularly knowledgeable and literate in all matters motorsport. As for me, I am having a few rums and probably shouldn't speculate. For the moment, I will shrug as well!
Old 19 Apr 2012, 08:33 (Ref:3061888)   #1522
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think what he is suggesting is do you really want a series that is based on 2nd hand (or 3rd or 4th) cars

surely the top level of motorsport should be based around building new cars

otherwise it just comes down to who can get the latest generation car the quickest (ie spend the most money)
Old 19 Apr 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3061977)   #1523
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
otherwise it just comes down to who can get the latest generation car the quickest (ie spend the most money)
And to be blunt, doesn't that sum up our sport?

You can have "equal" machinery, but the guy who can afford a whizz-bang engineer with bucket loads of experience is likely to get an advantage early on.

I learnt something years ago; it's called the Golden Rule - he who has the gold, Rules.

Once again fella's....money, not necessarily talent.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3062119)   #1524
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
V8SuperTourer South African expansion halted

South African motor racing authorities are still pursuing a similar path, but believe they will need to build their own technical package based around smaller cars more popular in South Africa such as the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze.

WTCC anyone?
Sounds more like Argentinian TC2000. Spaceframe with road car bodyshell powered by a 430 bhp Radical V8 engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=806yR...eature=related
Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:07 (Ref:3063434)   #1525
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to hear that Boothy was pressing the flesh on pitlane at Hamilton looking for a co-driver.... it seems the "arms race" for co-drivers is well and truely here...
Closed Thread