Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Mar 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1559716)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Sarne, you live in middlesex so probably close to me, do you know if a guy called Jim ended up with the ex Spice (I believe) road car because he definitely has one and has documentation.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1559750)   #17
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Allan, just down the road from you in Greenford. Do you know the colour ? the white one pictured above was sold on ebay last year so could be that. The one John Hill has is metallic blue/grey. Have also heard of a green one.
Apparently 6 road cars were done (5 converted road cars & the white one which was built up from a shell).
Is it possible to find out the build # ?

Simon
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1559865)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Sarnie, and I resemble that remark!
Old 24 Mar 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1559872)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Greenford yes thats about 5 miles from my shop in Harrow. The car is red at the moment but he has owned it a long time to my knowledge and I know he did a complete resto number on it, he spanners for me on occassions I will try to get more details but I know it has some special chassis plate and some sort of special diff he was telling me, I think he said it was a Motorsport development one or something.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1559886)   #20
Sarnie
Racer

England
Middx.
Sarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSarnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats alright Peter...hehe

Al is it the same shop i visited about 10 years ago ?
Would be interested to hear more about the car if your able to find out, also a pic would be great
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1559892)   #21
xpitf4
Rookie

xpitf4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have very little knowledge of these cars I'm affraid,we didn't get too many
of them in these here parts.Imagine my surprize when one showed up at Mosport last year. I think.
Were these cars powered by a steel block V-6 Cosworth,or is that a differant Capri again?
Old 24 Mar 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1559894)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I have been there a while Sarnie may have been. I will find as much detail as I can and post it back with pictures.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1560330)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpitf4
I have very little knowledge of these cars I'm affraid,we didn't get too many
of them in these here parts.Imagine my surprize when one showed up at Mosport last year. I think.
Were these cars powered by a steel block V-6 Cosworth,or is that a differant Capri again?
You may be thinking of the Group 2 V 6. This was the Cosworth GAA engine built for the ETCC of 1973/74. The CC Capris were built to the Group "1.5" regs as run by the BTCC and many of the European Saloon championships of the time from 1976 to 1982 before Group A became the norm.

The engines were originally Essex V6 three litre but later they ran the Cologne 2.8 V6 but it was never competitive because of the siamesed 2/3 and 4/5 cylinder (?) heads.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1565103)   #24
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
If someone wants to build a replica one of my customers wants rid a of a 2 litre 1983 Capri that I think his old man has had from new and has just failed its MoT. He only wants £100 for it which sounds cheap to me, pm if anyone interested and I will give you his contact number.

PS there is NOTHING in this for me but it may help a Capri nut for that type of dosh.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1565116)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I paid £50.00 for mine.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1565145)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
But they are a diminishing resourse Peter and if one of the lads wipes a shell out at the weekend at Snett they will be gagging for it, I know I would be! A 2 litre Pinto and 5 speed box must be worth the asking price alone surely.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 14:47 (Ref:1565198)   #27
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
This was the Cosworth GAA engine built for the ETCC of 1973/74.
A steel block (earlier post) may have been just what that needed in view of the weakness of the bored iron block!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1565209)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
But they are a diminishing resourse Peter and if one of the lads wipes a shell out at the weekend at Snett they will be gagging for it, I know I would be! A 2 litre Pinto and 5 speed box must be worth the asking price alone surely.
Al, it's Peter; he may well have only paid £50 for his, but he only said it to wind you up! Of course, it's worth £100! Why don't you put an add in the Racers classified forum for him!
Old 30 Mar 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1565222)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Funny enough the guy that spanners for me sometimes is the one with the original CC road going Capri and I just told him about it so if neither he or any of the CTCRCC boys are interested when I speak to them over the weekend I will stick an ad in for him. It just seemed a straight car for the money to me and if I did not currently have 4 camaros around my place I may have had a go at it myself.
Old 30 Mar 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1565363)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto
A steel block (earlier post) may have been just what that needed in view of the weakness of the bored iron block!
Point taken. Cosworth specially "selected selected '' b.:.....locks at The factory & yes they were cast iron. ,