Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1445234)   #1
Kevin Whittle
Rookie

Kevin Whittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tasman Anglia

Does anyone remember the Climax FPF powered 105E Anglia. It was fitted with a perspex rear fast back style window.

I actually saw such a 105E with a fast back window, (same car ??), driving in Bristol on A4 in 1968 ish.

Who raced it, was just one built, by whom, & where is it now ??
Kevin Whittle
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1445253)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was raced by John Hewitt. Bob King and Alan Cornock of Royale looked after all the Climax engines in those days and were involved with it. No idea if it still exists - doubt it.
Photo from a previous thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...chmentid=15216

Anglia thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ght=angleboxes
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1445364)   #3
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember it was light blue,and fitted with the 2.7 Climax removed from the Bob Anderson Brabham BT11.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1445722)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
that would today make it the most valuable Anglia ever!! Climax 2.7 from Mantle or Crosthwaite would be circa 25k
Old 28 Oct 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1445727)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker
I seem to remember it was light blue,and fitted with the 2.7 Climax removed from the Bob Anderson Brabham BT11.
Yes correct, it was blue Ted.
Old 20 Dec 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1796086)   #6
Chris Courtenay
Rookie

Chris Courtenay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tasman Anglia

Hello, I might be able to throw a little light on this car.

It was built and raced by John Hewitt and colleagues who worked at the then Luton Motor Company in Luton who were Ford Main Dealers. John was Used Car Sales Director. His principal colleagues were Alan "Jake" Jakeman who was the chief engineer and John's brother-in-law, Pat Cook, who was principally the electrician as I recall.

The Luton Motor Co was owned by my father and I was a mere lad in the early '60's when this car began campaigning. Once the car was built and beginning to show its mettle my father was persuaded to sponsor the car, so it was thenceforth entered under the LMC banner.

It did, indeed, run the Coventry Climax Tasman engine and was finished in metallic blue. It did not have a "fastback" style rear window, but the conventional "notchback" 105E trademark style.

The car was notable in its day for the immaculate standards of build and presentation - and the fact that it won vitually every race it campaigned in. I believe it held the track record for virtually every UK circuit at one time.

John Hewitt was generally announced over the Tannoys at races as "the well-known Australian driver" which he liked - but in fact his Norfolk drawl was wrongly attributed!

What happened to the car after John left the LMC to move to his native Norwich to establish the very successful Norfolk Motor Group I don't know: only that I suspect he sold it then to help fund his new business.

I'd love to find out more myself - it was a part of my most formative years and I attended as many races as I could.....