Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2344000)   #1
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track etiquette: Dos and Don'ts?

After a few months on the forum it's proved very enlightening hearing the thoughts of drivers, particularly the very experienced. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone as a newcomer to the sport in being curious to hear what the "old hands" have to say regarding common mistakes made by novices. Like many disciplines, I'd imagine there are some "unspoken" rules not found in any handbook. Of course nothing can ever replace good old learning by doing, but I thought I'd open the topic up to get some feedback that might save myself and other newcomers from "getting in the way" on the track and jeopardizing the enjoyment and/or safety of the sharper end of the grid. Rants and raves are welcome!
Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2344021)   #2
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
I should add to this "off track" paddock/pit area etiquette as well.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 23:31 (Ref:2344044)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
All I would say is when on the track just hold the racing line and everyone will know where you will be, I have seen guys desperately trying to politely get out the way going off the racing line and making matters worse. Its safer to just momentarily back out the throttle a tad down the staight if you really feel you are in the way of a lapping car.

Off track I also think if you do have a coming together it is just plain politeness to go over to the offended driver and offer an apology even if the actual blame may be debatable.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 07:13 (Ref:2344119)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with Al,I would also recommend using your door mirrors,as Al said,if/when you get into the situation of being challenged for a corner,if you have the corner,ie,arrive there first,just stick to your line,do not panic and make things worse,you can then just let the faster car past by waving him through after the corner but still not swerving out his way,he has the speed.Adding to Al's advice,if you feel that you may have chopped someone during the race,its always a nice thing to appologise.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:54 (Ref:2344189)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Got to agree with Al as well. But a novice also needs to get on with his racing learning the lines braking points ect ect. So get up to speed as soon as you can then you wont be a novice.!!!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2344222)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
American in Berlin(don't do nicknames)Are you the same fellow who was asking about Tour regularities?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2344223)   #7
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
American in Berlin(don't do nicknames)Are you the same fellow who was asking about Tour regularities?
Yes, that's correct... that's what initially made me join the forum.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2344225)   #8
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
But don't worry John, I'll be sticking to regularities and sprints for a while yet before making the aforementioned gaffs and getting in your way anytime soon!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2344230)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thought it was.Different set of rules on the circuits.You let the drivers who really want to be proper race drivers get on with it(they dont do competition because they wont buy the PJ's or are to lazy to get a licence)as they are usually more dangerous than proper race drivers.The ones who want to do a regularity take any line to stay out of the way of the racers and use lines to correct time.If you do this line and braking point thing go into competition.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2344237)   #10
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Different set of rules on the circuits.
Precisely why I'm posting these questions... I do plan to as soon as I am ready for it to get into competition, and these are the things I'd want to know before stepping out there.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2344239)   #11
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
All I would say is when on the track just hold the racing line and everyone will know where you will be, I have seen guys desperately trying to politely get out the way going off the racing line and making matters worse. Its safer to just momentarily back out the throttle a tad down the staight if you really feel you are in the way of a lapping car.

Off track I also think if you do have a coming together it is just plain politeness to go over to the offended driver and offer an apology even if the actual blame may be debatable.
I can only agree with Al,last year and my first time at Spa I had a lot more grunt than a MGB following,decided to pull over to let him pass as he was miles faster than me,pulled straight into his path and knocked him off,exactly what I was trying not to do and did I feel a right p##t.So now unless its on the straight I just hold my line,no problems.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 30 Nov 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2344243)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The B was probably going much faster than it should have been so don't feel to bad!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2344255)   #13
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate the people in slower cars that decide to dart down the inside and have a go at overtaking under braking knowing you are going to pass them straight after the corner and disappear into the distance!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2344276)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
I hate the people in slower cars that decide to dart down the inside and have a go at overtaking under braking knowing you are going to pass them straight after the corner and disappear into the distance!
Oh dear.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2344284)   #15
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And I get sick of guys in 'faster' cars who can't go round corners or brake 50+ yards too early

However in a race it should not be an issue because you're either being lapped in which case you lift or if not, you have every right to hold your line and outbrake as you see fit. I am sure others in 'slow' cars have let 'fast' cars through only to be held up thereafter.

My main piece of advice for a novice racer is if you make a mistake don't then over-drive the car to make up for it, as you'll just make a bigger mistake with bigger consequences. Forget it and get back into a rythmn. More easily said than done sometimes.

Just because somebody has a fast/expensive car doesn't mean they are experienced. Equally just because they've been at it 20 years doesn't mean they fast or courteous. The former is particularly evident at Classic Le Mans.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2344299)   #16
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant believe nobody has mentioned how the "newer" drivers have to supply all the beer for the other drivers . After racing is finished of course.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2344310)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Jerry wash your mouth out, this is historic racing so it's finest wine or Champagne.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2344313)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I suppose I'm one of them then Roger, except I wont just "have a go" but will keep my corner entry and exit speed up and normally beat loads of big HP cars overall !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2344317)   #19
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You wil just have to learn how to corner a bit quicker! Think how the cars with less grunt down the straight feel when great lumps of metal get in their way around the corners during a class battle for points! Think on .........................
Old 30 Nov 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2344319)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I hate it when those slower cars decide to dart down the inside and have a go at overtaking under braking and then carry so much speed through the corner they **** off into the distance on the next straight.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2344359)   #21
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Jerry wash your mouth out, this is historic racing so it's finest wine or Champagne.
so no doughnuts either?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2344369)   #22
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont bloody help,the marshals still report you and you get points on your licence.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2344370)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
Dont bloody help,the marshals still report you and you get points on your licence.
That's bad, especially when you didn't do it.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2344372)   #24
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves
You wil just have to learn how to corner a bit quicker! Think how the cars with less grunt down the straight feel when great lumps of metal get in their way around the corners during a class battle for points! Think on .........................
From what I understand we will have the chance to battle for class points together next year Graves in small engine cars - bring it on!!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2344374)   #25
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I suppose I'm one of them then Roger, except I wont just "have a go" but will keep my corner entry and exit speed up and normally beat loads of big HP cars overall !
The exception rather than the rule!

Example - the 3.25 bloke at Spa last season having a go at an impossible overtaking move in the bus stop and running out of road (and skill), smacking into the back of me. My lap time - 3.03. Was he going to keep his entry and exit speed and beat me overall????