Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Jun 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2483977)   #26
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic report Mike!
Old 15 Jun 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2483992)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Roger. It's p***ing down so stuck indoors!

What we need are some pics as well- Anyone?

Mike
Old 15 Jun 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2484062)   #28
JP12
Rookie

England
Bristol
JP12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were some really lovely cars on track on both Saturday and Sunday, but as gixxer said, the poor grids were a real disappointment. The local Castle Combe championships had much stronger grids and saved the day in terms of the excitement on track.

So what can Masters and to lesser extent the HSCC do to increase the number of cars on the grid? Surely such poor grids aren't sustainable.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2484067)   #29
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sunday- Fortunately having signed on and scrutineered on saturday for today's races, we had a little more sleep than some and only had to push the +8 to the collecting area ready for 0830 'engine start' and 0840 practice. Immediately after firing up the Rover lump the noise tester arrived, to be politely refused until some heat was showing on the gauge! This led to James being last out instead of first, but he found enough space to set pole...
Sorry about that, I did intend to get back to you quicker, however I got stuck further down the queue with another car.

Most cars & drivers were well prepared, and generally there was a backup solution in-hand for those that needed it.

On the positive side, around 350 cars raced over the weekend, with no-one having show-stopper noise issues.
Old 15 Jun 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2484071)   #30
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent weekend's racing, even though some grids were a bit light. I was in the HRSR - the last race on Sunday, but decided to make a weekend of it and spectate on Saturday, as I don't often find the time to watch much racing.
So it was a relaxed weekend, our paddock was by Avon Rise so the scrutineers came to us. Practice was just before lunch and went really well and I was pleasantly surprised to end up 4th overall - the new shockers were working well at this circuit, which had previously been the worst of any I had raced at for handling, with the rear of the car hopping badly through the chicanes.
Then lots more spectating as well as plenty of chatting until it was time to go out for our race. Having only 998cc and a long run to the first corner, I was expecting to be overhauled by several larger engined cars in the run to quarry, but a better start then usual meant I actually got there ahead of Roger Godfrey's mini but did lose out to Ted William's Alfa. Roger was taking no prisoners and got by into the first chicane to set off after the Alfas of Mark Garritt and Ted whilst I was trying to keep with them and build a gap to the Falcon behind me as my class opposition Andy Jones was next up. Dan Cox was already clear at the front and quickly pulled away out of trouble. His Dad, Tim, wasn't so lucky and was one of several competitors to lose a wheel over the weekend. I was managing to keep in contact with Ted who had been passed by Roger and there wasn't much time from 2nd to 5th. Ted went a bit wide at Camp on lap 6 or 7 and I managed to get by but it would seem that perhaps his engine was going off as it let go in a big way in the first chicane and I saw him spin in my mirrors.
The next time around, there were lots of flags and marshalls gesturing to warn of the dropped oil/water so a big thank you to them all for their professionalism which helped the rest of the field to be aware of the problem and pass by safely. Sadly, our race was stopped a lap early to comply with the curfew, but better that then to lose a great and challenging track, which managed to run a very full and action packed event almost to the timetable! Thanks to all involved...
Old 15 Jun 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2484130)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like Simon found, it was nice to have the time to relax & spectate thanks to the late race. Watching the Masters saloons cresting Avon crab-wise definitely gave me the courage to keep the right foot firmly planted on Sunday although it nearly went horribly wrong in qualifying when my tyres seemed to suddenly go off after only 4 laps.

The race saw my worst ever start I think, the red light stayed on for an eternity (at least 3 secs), Ben Shuckburgh's Falcon in front started to creep then stopped just as the lights went out which threw me completely. Dropping the clutch, the wheels just whizzed round and everyone seemed to hurtle past using the space alongside where Roger Cope should have been (he blew his diff in practice) and which it had been my cunning plan to dart into. I was therefore caught in a bit of a crowd for the first couple of laps (note to nimble little cars: don't underestimate how much speed a ton and a half of Jag has to lose to make it through a chicane, patting my a**e won't speed things up).

Most of the race was spent keeping an eye on Ricky Gaston in his Lotus Cortina which came close on a couple of occasions but never quite managed a serious attempt to get by. It was with the Cortina still close behind on the penultimate lap that I had the toughest call - I could see the yellows waving in the distance when Ted Williams' Alfa dropped its insides and guessed from the energetic jumping up and down at the previous post that something was profoundly amiss up ahead, but how much could I afford to back off? When I saw the diagonal line of fluid I thought it would be ok to gingerly tip-toe over so long as we kept in a straight line but I guess there was oil in there as well because as soon as I touched it the car shot onto the grass and for a few moments I was sure I would hit the parked Alfa which had a door wide open for added width. Before the race my daughter found a 4-leaf clover which was taped to the dash and it was at this point that it must have started to work because at the last second we found a bit of steerage and skimmed past. Either Ricky had a similar excursion or just thought he'd keep well out of it because when I bounced back onto the tarmac he was still some way behind, thanks Ricky! I wasn't sorry to see the chequered flag, having slithered through a second time at greatly reduced speed.

Thanks to one and all for a great day and great racing, and commiserations to those who dropped by the wayside. 3 weeks 'til Brands - I think we might pop in a brake servo in the meantime and pray it doesn't rain.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2484255)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul V View Post
Sorry about that, I did intend to get back to you quicker, however I got stuck further down the queue with another car.
Paul, no apology necessary- watching from the side could see you were in a 'no win' situation with that first session! I'm sure all competitors appreciate the 'tightrope' that Combe is walking, and some of the creative silencing solutions adopted are worthy of a special award!

JP12 and Gixxer- the small grids are disappointing for competitors as well and fully appreciate how dull a 45 min race with driver change and couple of SC periods can be for those watching! With travel costs as they are now a 500 mile round trip for 1 sprint race doesn't appeal, but 2 x 40min+ races in a w/end make more sense. Difficult one, as what is good for competitors isn't always best for spectators. Personally I could watch Dan Cox, Patrick Watts (other drivers are available) or a well driven FIA Mini going through Camp all day, regardless of what position they were in!

Mike
Old 16 Jun 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2484296)   #33
mark garritt
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sunny Bucks
mark garritt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Paul, no apology necessary- watching from the side could see you were in a 'no win' situation with that first session! I'm sure all competitors appreciate the 'tightrope' that Combe is walking, and some of the creative silencing solutions adopted are worthy of a special award!

JP12 and Gixxer- the small grids are disappointing for competitors as well and fully appreciate how dull a 45 min race with driver change and couple of SC periods can be for those watching! With travel costs as they are now a 500 mile round trip for 1 sprint race doesn't appeal, but 2 x 40min+ races in a w/end make more sense. Difficult one, as what is good for competitors isn't always best for spectators. Personally I could watch Dan Cox, Patrick Watts (other drivers are available) or a well driven FIA Mini going through Camp all day, regardless of what position they were in!

Mike
Unfortunately for the rest of us, we do care where Dan is!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2484359)   #34
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Combe safety car

A good number of the races over the weekend were affected by safety car periods. I was in the Plus 4 and spent quite a while trundling around immediately behind the safety car in the Guards race which gave me an opportunity to let my mind wander a bit !

I can't help thinking that the recovery of the E type was somewhat slow. On the assumption that the transmission wasn't locked, why couldn't it have been dragged to safety ? Every time I came round there seemed to be more head scratching than action.

Apologies if I am way off beam and of course safety must come first, but I would be interested in what others think.

Mark

Mike - great report. Where do I get some of your "off the line like a scalded cat" fuel ?
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2484363)   #35
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree it did take some time but it allowed me to make doubly sure my engine was not over heating so I was not too sorry!
TT I was about three cars behind you I think and my team mate one behind in the Turner. It was his coming of age as he became officially Internationally historic on the Saturday! Did you all know that the maximum number of signatures you can get in a weekend (no matter how that they are different organizers - Masters Saturday and HSCC Sunday) is 2?
Sorry also meant to say I agree great report and good chatting to you Mike and Andrew and the rest of teh ten tenthers over the weekend... I rather like the fact that CC mix the historics with their own series - it stops it all getting too precious and "keeps it real" great meeting which is a must on my calender and a good example of how competing clubs can work together to give the entrant a good value wekend. There should be more of this rather than clashing diaries
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2484376)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddington Ted View Post
Mike - great report. Where do I get some of your "off the line like a scalded cat" fuel ?
Hi Mark- I'll let others comment on SCs as I wasn't in car then!

Lessons in standing starts can be booked- pm me

Seriously, if you havn't done any stage rallying (espec on tarmac), it helps- you get lots of practice in a day! I was also lucky being on the left and not boxed in like the previous day.

Regards, Mike
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2484397)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
.......................a good example of how competing clubs can work together to give the entrant a good value wekend. There should be more of this rather than clashing diaries
Actually rather than just have a practice/qualifying session it would heve been great to have the Classic F3's racing on the same day as the Masters races. Giving it more of a feel of the old BTCC/BSCC programmes. That Warstiener car was drop dead gorgeous and the team of Brabhams were a sight to behold.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2484405)   #38
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Did you all know that the maximum number of signatures you can get in a weekend (no matter how that they are different organizers - Masters Saturday and HSCC Sunday) is 2?
Unfortunately Simon, that's quite correct as Castle Combe Racing Club were the permit holding club for both days of what was effectively, one meeting.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2484511)   #39
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bit of a frustrating day with the A105, its 3rd race and 1st DNC, darn it; 8 laps into qual, just getting the hang of it and all HT vanished. Thanks to the marshall at The Esses for the loan of your phone to calm down the Missus! Thanks also to all who offered replacement rotor arms, Rae had one that fitted, which appeared to solve the problem but the disi cap didn't look to healthy either....5 laps into the race and a misfire started which rapidly crept down the rev range and made continuing pointless. By the time the rest of the team had walked back from Quarry, it had cooled down and worked perfectly, they think I'm making it up...

On the plus side we saw 94mph approaching Avon, which is probably the fastest the car has ever been, it was a well organised day (John, tell me again where the speed limit starts in the pit lane? ) thanks to all at Masters and CCRC, it was good to meet some Ten/Tenthers, and fine Combe weather although there were localised fogbanks approaching Camp in the morning...If I can get this attachment to post, somewhere in there is a Vanguard and an A35...Click image for larger version

Name:	CC fog.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	22555
Old 16 Jun 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2484567)   #40
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what can Masters and to lesser extent the HSCC do to increase the number of cars on the grid? Surely such poor grids aren't sustainable.[/QUOTE]

Stop holding meetings on the same weekend! It's not only the Castle Combe weekend where they clash but at others during the season.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2484578)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
surely Castle Combe is an example of them dovetailing very well... as a competitor it meant you could race Saturday and Sunday at the same track. That is a good thing isn't it?
Old 16 Jun 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2484580)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with that Simon. Crossover cars get two events and can make a weekend of it, as per Mike Bell's comments above.

It's when the events are on opposite ends of the country that the problems start.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2484828)   #43
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the absence of any photos so far, here's a piece I found on youtube showing the Sunday HRSR saloon race filmed from the Quarry bank, clearly demonstrating why Dan Cox wins races!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfYO4qKAso
Old 17 Jun 2009, 23:00 (Ref:2485585)   #44
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A few shots from the weekend

Old 17 Jun 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2485592)   #45
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this is my first post on the site, so I'll keep it brief.

I'd just like to say a massive thanks to all the helpers, vounteers, marshalls etc.. that made this the most enjoyable meeting for me in my fledgling racing driver career.

So it helped that the car manged to stay in one piece for a full event after dramas at both Donnington and Brands Hatch we had ! But I would definately go back despite the 4 Hour trip from up 't north.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2485724)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Yorkie 'S'; look forward to more posts from you!

'brands', I hope that posting some pics here (thank you!) becomes a regular habit.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2485841)   #47
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb87 View Post
The next time around, there were lots of flags and marshalls gesturing to warn of the dropped oil/water so a big thank you to them all for their professionalism which helped the rest of the field to be aware of the problem and pass by safely. Sadly, our race was stopped a lap early to comply with the curfew, but better that then to lose a great and challenging track, which managed to run a very full and action packed event almost to the timetable! Thanks to all involved...
The race was stopped 1 lap early due the huge oil spill at Old Paddock, not because of the curfew. Hopefully this prevented a lot of very nice historic saloons ending their race in the tyre barriers.

I'm pleased that everyone seemed to have a good weekend. Roll on next year, which is Castle Combe 60th anniversary year.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2491252)   #48
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
In the absence of any photos so far, here's a piece I found on youtube showing the Sunday HRSR saloon race filmed from the Quarry bank, clearly demonstrating why Dan Cox wins races!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfYO4qKAso
That is great video, amazing quality for youtube.

Why does Dan Cox win? Well clearly he is a good driver. But that car bears little resemblance mechanically to the car that left the Ford factory and performs unlike any Mk1 Cortina did in period. Much more modern technology dressed in 1965 metal!
Old 26 Jun 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2491327)   #49
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
That is great video, amazing quality for youtube.

Why does Dan Cox win? Well clearly he is a good driver. But that car bears little resemblance mechanically to the car that left the Ford factory and performs unlike any Mk1 Cortina did in period. Much more modern technology dressed in 1965 metal!
True,but compliant with HSCC regs for HRSR.

And he always puts on a good show for the spectators.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2491341)   #50
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Sure. But if you own a car that looks exactly the same but is to FIA App K spec what do you think?

The motto of HSCC is "Pure Historic Racing Since 1966". There is not too much 1966 about some of the HRSR spec cars.

Tags
castle combe, hscc, masters