Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1414118)   #1
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BTCC 2006 News, Rumours, Entries...

Might as well get the off season thread started, with only a round to go and a lot of speculation for 2006 already around.

So what sort of grid are we realistically looking at next year?
  • Vauxhall
They have all but confirmed there participation next year. I think the only think left is for it to be officially announced.

Drivers wise it looks like there may be some changes, with the return of James Thompson possibly? And the possibilility of Muller leaving to join the WTCC.

The third car seems to change season to season, so I think its far from certain Gavin Smith will retain his drive, although he has improved in recent meetings.
  • SEAT
I personally think they will return to the series next year. Northern South have made progress a team this year, and it would be disappointing not to see what they can deliver in 2006.

SEAT have been huge supporters of the series, and has gained huge publicity from it, greater than reigning champions Vauxhall IMO.

The Leon looks very promising, and it would be great to see it in the series next year.
  • Team Dynamics
They seem likely to be dropping the Integra after just one season, albeit a very successful one.

As far as I'm aware they haven't categorically confirmed they will race in the BTCC, but it seems the most likely option.

They could run in the World series, but I think they'll decide that it makes comercial sense to run in the BTCC, a series they can compete in with a reasonable budget.

If I'm not mistaken, Steve Neal hinted at a continuation in the BTCC at the weekend after Howell's win.
  • Arena International
Surprisingly they are still keen to remain in the BTCC. I had thought continued particaption into 06 was unlikely with Chilton planning to move on from touring cars.

Admittedly, they have a history of over promising and under delivering, so it will be interesting to see what happens with this team over the winter. Maybe they will finally run Alan Morrison again??
  • West Surrey Racing
Have recently annouced plans to return to Formula 3, as well as running one of the A1GP teams. Have been a stalwart of the series for many years, although just running one car this year has been disappointing.

They are currently looking for a manufacturer deal to continue there participation in the series, although haven't ruled out running as a privateer entry.
  • Synchro Motorsport
I would guess they will be around again, with James Kaye behind the wheel.
  • GA Motorsport
Will they ever run there 156? I would like to think so, but this team, under Mark Thompson has really disappointed me. I can't really see them running next year, however much I would like to.
  • Fast-Tec Motorsport
Pretty likely to be out again next year, through Mark Proctor. The team have learned a lot this year, and Mark always said this would be a learning season. Would be nice to see them get hold of more modern machinery, maybe a 2004 Astra Coupe?
  • Team FirstServe Group
John Batchelor has threatened to run a Civic at some point this year, but it never materalised. I don't expect to see them next year. A shame really, they appeared to make so much progress in 2003 when running 307s in the production class.
  • Kartworld Racing
Jason Hughes's Kartworld Racing has appeared at selected meetings so far this season, and will do so again at the final round. The team hope for a full time return to the series, and Jason is certainly enthusiastic to do so.
  • Speed Equipe
Initially I had feared they had bitten off more than could chew with the BTCC effort this year, but they have developed into a pleasant surprise during the season. Entered at the start of the year with a long term plan, and with backing from Friends Reunited and HPI, I expect to see them back with the two IS 200s next year.
  • Techspeed Racing
Made there return to the series mid-season with Fiona Leggate in a Bio-ethanol Astra. Leggate appears to be well funded, as is planning a full season in 2006. The team are still working to get Paul O'Neill out at some point.
  • Daniels Motorsport
Will make there debut in the series next weekend with a Nuts sponsored Astra Coupe for Andy Neate, ahead of a 2006 campaign.
  • Kia
Seriously looking at a BTCC campaign, possibly run by Richard Lloyd's Apex Motorsport. Will be interesting to see how this one develops over the winter.
  • Ayles Racing
EX-GA Motorsport boss Gary Ayles is hoping to make a return to the series after Mark Thompson took over his own team. They plan to run two Alfa Romeo 156s, and hopefully the deal will see them reunite with Gavin Pyper, who seriously deserves a drive.
  • TH Motorsport
Have run a Mitsubishi Carisma in the series before for Steve Wood. Looking at the possibility of running a team next year, with an Astra Coupe seeming to be there most likely choice of car.
  • Emotional Engineering
Want to run a BTCC campaign alongst their British GT Monaro. Vauxhall would seem to be the obvious choice of car, and maybe even their latest Astra Sport Hatch.
  • Embassy Racing
Jonathan France's team was rumoured to be planning to run a Civic Type-R at some point this season, but it never materalised. Could be interested in entering for the full season in 2006?
  • Xero Competition
Seems pretty certain this one. The British GT team plan to get hold of a pair of Lexus from the Netherlands to convert into Super 2000-Spec. Mark Jones and Ricky Cole are favourites for the drives.
  • Barwell Motorsport
Hope to get a hold of two SEAT Toledos from Northern South at the end of the year. Current SCC drivers Carl Breeze and Alan Blencowe, would seem sensible choices for the drives.
  • Boardman Racing
Likely winner of this years SCC. Would win a free SEAT for next year, which could be run by his own team, Boardman Racing, who he raced for in 2001 in a BTCP Peugeot 306 (the pink one!)
  • Total Control Racing
Attempting to find the finance to run Jonathan Adam in a Vauxhall Astra Coupe in 2005.
  • Team Eurotech
Stepping up from the Porsche Carrera Cup to run Mike Jordan in an ex-Team Dynamics Honda Integra.
  • Team Griffin Racing
Could run Peugeot 307s for Mark Symmonds and Julian Griffin
  • Mardi Gras Motorsport
John George hopes to return to the series, after his plan to run with VLR was aborted when Vic got arrest for drug smuggling.

Note, most of these are just rumours, and I don't expect that more than half of them will appear next year.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1414125)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Team FirstServe Group
John Batchelor has threatened to run a Civic at some point this year, but it never materalised. I don't expect to see them next year. A shame really, they appeared to make so much progress in 2003 when running 307s in the production class.
The guys who were running Tom's 307 were his own guys. They were playing mercenary last year but this year they have pretty much dominated the Seat Cupra series. Expect to see them all back in the BTCC next season...
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1414127)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
The guys who were running Tom's 307 were his own guys. They were playing mercenary last year but this year they have pretty much dominated the Seat Cupra series. Expect to see them all back in the BTCC next season...
Sounds good. I did wonder how they managed to get so competitive for just 2003, and be hopeless every other year - thanks for clearing that one up!
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:12 (Ref:1414130)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
In defence of the other memebers of the Varta team it was one hell of a quick little car. Unfortunately the second 307 wasn't delivered until late in the season and was in a shocking state - Vic obviously didn't have any interest in it!! By the time Jimmy and the guys had sorted out all the niggles the season had ended
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1414132)   #5
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Maybe what we've all discovered about Vics activities had an adverse affect on all his racing activity, ie, the poor performances of his Peugeots.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1414143)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
[*]Embassy Racing[/list]Jonathan France's team was rumoured to be planning to run a Civic Type-R at some point this season, but it never materalised. Could be interested in entering for the full season in 2006?[list]
Thats a new one on me, I know for fact that Jonathan is a sportscar man and is not really into touring cars, as for there 2006 plans I understand they are getting rid of the Porsche which they have been using in the BGT and FIA GT and they are going to be racing an LMP2 car instead.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1414146)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Vauxhall - Regardless of how much Gavin Smith has improved the third car will be down to whoever has the money.

Arena - suspect they will be back to Sportscars

TCR - it's about time Adams got into Touring Cars, he's got nothing left to prove in Clios. It's all a question of finance of course.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1414151)   #8
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
Vauxhall - Regardless of how much Gavin Smith has improved the third car will be down to whoever has the money.
Agreed. Gavin Smith brought money to 888 this year didn't he?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1414153)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed. Gavin Smith brought money to 888 this year didn't he?
He did, he had the biggest pot of cash so he is in the car, it was the same with Hines last year.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1414156)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
  • Xero Competition
Seems pretty certain this one. The British GT team plan to get hold of a pair of Lexus from the Netherlands to convert into Super 2000-Spec. Mark Jones and Ricky Cole are favourites for the drives.
These 2 were entered in DTCC in 2001 and 2002. The cars were unreliable and uncompetative. So I doubt it's a good choice.

No 1 year old Chevrolet Lacetti's in BTCC?
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1414162)   #11
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
These 2 were entered in DTCC in 2001 and 2002. The cars were unreliable and uncompetative. So I doubt it's a good choice.
There not a bad team. I believe they were reasonably successful in British GT. I hope they know what they are doing.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1414164)   #12
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Just checked the current points table - only 3 points, not so good.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1414172)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why not buying some former ETCC BMW's? Carly Motors has some available.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1414185)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Edenbridge attempted to run a BMW in 2004, but found that it was't possible to make the car competitive due to the weight penalty on rear-wheel drive cars. I'm not sure if this has changed, but if not, I doubt any BMWs will reach the UK. There are plenty of rumours out there, but it's a shame that more well-known or genuinely promising youngsters aren't in contention to enter the championship as it stands.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1414188)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Edenbridge attempted to run a BMW in 2004, but found
that it was't possible to make the car competitive due to the weight penalty on rear-wheel drive cars. I'm not sure if this has changed, but if not, I doubt any BMWs will reach the UK. There are plenty of rumours out there, but it's a shame that more well-known or genuinely promising youngsters aren't in contention to enter the championship as it stands.
The Lexus is rear-wheel drive too.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1414276)   #16
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Just checked the current points table - only 3 points, not so good.
Didn't they withdraw from BGT?
Old 23 Sep 2005, 04:52 (Ref:1414500)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE

No 1 year old Chevrolet Lacetti's in BTCC?
Perhaps it's cost issue? Perhaps it's cheaper to buy those Lexi than any other car? Would the Lancetti be cheap?
Old 23 Sep 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1414502)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

Wow, the rumor list makes the BTCC look quite strong and very independent (entry) driven. OTOH, most of the teams will probably only race for limited rounds, if at all? And despite the rule change, it seems the BTCC still hasn't drawn many used S2000 cars from other championships to it?? I haven't seen too many S2000 put up publicly for sale though? How much are they asking? If teams are preferring to use converted DTCC cars or old Astras
1) either S2000 cars too expensive
2) or these other cars are dirt cheap???
Old 24 Sep 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1415375)   #19
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
Didn't they withdraw from BGT?
Yep, they only entered the first round andthen withdrew due to the new restrictor regulations
Old 25 Sep 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1415779)   #20
kmchow
Veteran

I've never heard of Richard Lloyd's Apex Motorsport, was he a BTCC team back in the late 80s? I don't recall hearing his name since the 90s? Why go with them when there's WSR available? OTOH, perhaps WSR was asking for too much money to run a team? What's his connection to Kia? Does he own some dealerships?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 08:17 (Ref:1415789)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
I've never heard of Richard Lloyd's Apex Motorsport, was he a BTCC team back in the late 80s? I don't recall hearing his name since the 90s?
Apex Motorsport have been involved with Sportscar over the last few years they ran the Audi UK car at Le Mans in 1999 and then ran the Bentley's in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1415816)   #22
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Erm... think you'll find he has been around the British Touring and Saloon Car Championships a wee bit in the past! Won the odd championship too.. http://www.brdc.co.uk/brdcarchive.cf.../member_id/144
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1416113)   #23
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May have already been discussed, but when will the provisional '06 calendar be announced? Isn't it normally available before the last meeting of the year?

Want to know if Rockingham is getting the gig.

Al.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1416140)   #24
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Jon Fildes who will he get a one off drive from? A new team or will someone like Seat run him?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1416214)   #25
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depends who Dunlop gives the money to I guess.