Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:48 (Ref:329497)   #1
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice this?

Obviously, because the British GP is a non-tobacco race, the cars have to run without their tobacco liveries. For example, at Jordan instead of Benson & Hedges on the rear wing they cleverly covered it up with "Be On Edge".

So how come at a number of points around the circuit there were big adverts with "Marlboro F1" on them. And it wasn't as if they were small adverts, they were clearly visable on TV. So how comes the cars are not allowed to run with tobacco sponsorship but there are still big adverts dotted around the circuit?

Surely if there is a ban on tobacco sponsorship in a certain country then that means absolutely no advertising of any nature at all?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:50 (Ref:329498)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's TV advertising I believe. Were the hoardings visible on the TV coverage?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:55 (Ref:329500)   #3
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, there was one when the cameras were looking up the Hanger Straight and one at the Abbey chicane. There may have been some more but I can't quite remember where abouts they were.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 15:57 (Ref:329502)   #4
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, i noticed that too, but i think it is cos billboard cig ads are still allowed. Notice there are still billboards avertisin' ciggies in and aroun this country of ours.
So i guess that is why it is allowed but ads on the cars aint, but what the difference between ads on cars and ads on billboars is i don't know?

Last edited by J.McClane; 8 Jul 2002 at 15:58.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:22 (Ref:329543)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't remember noticing the ads on the Canadian feed, but then again I certainly wasn't watching for them.

The signs are real, are they? The IRL 500 had some virtual signs this year... But that was just ABC trying to Hoover some money without Tony George getting a cut. Virtual billboards show up in American football and baseball games, too.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Jul 2002, 17:51 (Ref:329566)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's TV advertising via the back door really, and considering that teams go bankrupt because of problems with tobacco sponsorship, and generally teams with no fag money struggle in racing, and of course the Penske situation over the last year has been caused by well-intentioned but flawed US regulation, it shouldn't be allowed. Adverts for poisonous pollutants are the same whether they go at 190mph, or sit 'innocently' on a billboard.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:29 (Ref:329600)   #7
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Paul-Collins hit it on the head. The "billboards" weren't real, they were superimposed by the TV guys and beamed into our living rooms.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 18:53 (Ref:329626)   #8
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The billboards were real. MarlboroF1 is apparently a range of clothing which has nothing to do with tobacco and is therefore not covered by the tobacco advertising ban.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 19:15 (Ref:329639)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic
The billboards were real. MarlboroF1 is apparently a range of clothing which has nothing to do with tobacco and is therefore not covered by the tobacco advertising ban.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 8 Jul 2002, 19:57 (Ref:329689)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"The billboards were real. MarlboroF1 is apparently a range of clothing which has nothing to do with tobacco and is therefore not covered by the tobacco advertising ban."

Well that's alright then.
We're all safe.
Old 8 Jul 2002, 20:14 (Ref:329709)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sceptic
yes ..i see them too....im surprised that even with them being a clothing range they can still get away with it .
Old 8 Jul 2002, 20:21 (Ref:329724)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I print some of the posters for the Marlboro clothing range and am sure it's all part of the tobacco group, proberbly a clever way of getting round the advertising problem as everyone will automatically associate it with tobacco!
Old 8 Jul 2002, 21:18 (Ref:329778)   #13
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that's the case, why not just put "MarlboroF1" on the cars and say they're sponsored by the clothing line?
Old 8 Jul 2002, 23:45 (Ref:329848)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
When will people learn that tobacco sponsorship DOES NOT increase the ammount of smokers, it is an advertising ploy to try and 'steal' smokers and ally them to a team, thus a cigarette brand.

I have been watching F1 since I were 4 -5 years old (1984) and was not felt compelled to smoke Rothmans when I were a Damon Hill supporter. I actually like the tobacco sponsorship on cars, and its small minded politicians who believe they can solve the problem by banning the advertisment of the product.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 06:46 (Ref:330755)   #15
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the think McLaren does with West. I love the Kimi David and Team signs... On Thursday i was telling someone from the team that i thought they should do a shirt with Boss for Ron!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 07:25 (Ref:330777)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
"The billboards were real. MarlboroF1 is apparently a range of clothing which has nothing to do with tobacco and is therefore not covered by the tobacco advertising ban."

Well that's alright then.
We're all safe.
Not if you smoke "Tee shirt ready rubbed" apparently.