Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Aug 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3114601)   #1
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zolder 24 hours 2012

Dear all

Has anyone been to this event before? I'm struggling to find a wealth of info of what sort of cars to expect! the Zolder website states that it is open to really any GT/Touring car, but as it doesnt appear to be afiliated to any series this could mean a small grid?

this would be my first 24 hour race and first trip to Zolder (or anywhere to watch racing outside the uk) Anyone have any opinion about it or general tips for viewing at the circuit?

Ta!

Simon
Old 1 Aug 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3114607)   #2
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I saw an article (somewhere I dont remember although I'll have a look) that WRT and Marc VDS will be there.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3114608)   #3
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Dutch SuperCar run a 12 hour race or 6 hour race as part of the race last year?
Old 1 Aug 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3114616)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Went in 2009 - really nice little race back then, but they have been struggling with putting together a good grid as of late.

This year is suppossedly better, with 30 cars being entered already (no entry list out yet) and CN-prototypes allowed alongside the touring cars and GTs.

Now for the bad side: With smaller crowds the organizers had troubles recouping their investments in the race as of late, so they've decided to increase the side shows. The result of this is that there is a full on electronic music festival at the Circuit at the same time. They already did this last year and race fans were rather critical of it, as the festival area couldn't be accessed with the regular tickets for the race and blocked out some viewing spots. Also the crowd on the camping grounds was quite different from what you'd usually find at a 24hr race.

And that's basically why I've decided not to go this year and instead go to the combined BES/GT1 weekend at the Nuerburgring two weeks later.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3114626)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Heres the translated version of the E-I article I saw. It seems GTs, Touring cars and Prototypes (CN according to Speed King)

Quote:
Less than 40 days before the start of the 34th edition of the 24 Hours of Zolder. Circuit Zolder took over the organization and is now working to expand the grid of 30 cars whose participation is already confirmed. The task of making the 24 hours to their former glory does not seem impossible. To this end, the organizers have simplified the settlement and contribute to the power of seduction awaited first edition of this open and non-championship. On the menu: a confrontation between a plateau very muscled currently made for half of the prototypes SOT, and for the other GT cars and Tourism.

FAVOURITES ...

On paper, the favorites for this 34th edition of the 24 Hours of Zolder are searching in the duel between the teams and Marc VDS Racing Team Belgian Audi Club Team WRT. These two major international stables are generally opposed by Blancpain Endurance Series, but for anything they do not want to miss this great event Belgian endurance. It is unclear precisely which accompany Laurens Vanthoor, pilot whose garden is at Circuit Zolder, but it is certain that the team of Vincent Vosse has many assets to repeat his victory of last year on the Audi R8 LMS Ultra. Coast BMW, the situation is clarified: the usual trio Bas Leinders-Maxime Martin Markus Palttala will be joined on the Z4 GT3 by the Swiss Henri Moser, while we've also announced several stars to the second mount.

Probably less exotic but no less renowned for its endurance capabilities, the Porsche armada with experienced crews of stables First Motorsport Belgium Racing Speedlover, Russell Racing (the brothers Thiers) and Yokohama Skylimit Racing Team Driver Coach Andy Jaenen. These teams, who know the difficult configuration of the endurance race on the Limburg fingertips, will be supplemented by a newcomer, the Scuderia Caira.

Traditionally, Zolder is a unique opportunity for cars to compete with GT. And it is clear that BMW wants its share with European Formula Racing, JR Motorsports and a pair of BMW Clubsport Trophy, supplemented by the diesel 120d of Recy. So what about the Silhouette Steve Van Bellingen & Company, or the E30 M3 Van de Water, the first representative of historic vehicles, who come for the first time a taste of endurance racing this year?

Thierry Deflandre, Director General of Circuit Zolder, commented: "We lived a difficult period, and assuredly, the weeks between now and the weekend of September 8 and 9 are still exhausting, but this year, the 24 Hours of Zolder will has a new appointment not to miss. Collaboration with developers of SuperSonic Festival, organized in parallel in our area is excellent and provides a harmonious blend of exciting duels between the track and a nice dose of DELASSEMENT in parallel. Working with people of Special Open Trophy led to interesting results. We lost a little time before the RACB Sport does not accept our rules open, but it was eventually approved and we are very proud of the result . We will do this 34th edition a big party. "

According to the latest news from last night, Anthony Kumpen confirms its participation and its ambition to recover only the record of winning these mythical 24 Hours of Zolder. His choice of car and crew is not yet clear loop but it aims to form a crew that wins, just like its competitor for the record Bert Longin who succeeded last year in the pass of 5 and return the title on this years. A duel not only on track 8 and 9 August but has so far already in the constitution of the crews.

JOUSTING PROTOTYPE WITH ...

At least fifteen cars are also advertised on the side of the Special Open Trophy. Its developer Dries Heyman: "Our teams are eager to do battle, I assure you. "This is not the first time that prototypes will participate in dual clock tower Limburg: in 1989, Bernard and his son Mario Bormans occupied pole position on their Sports 2000, but an alternator problem quickly began their term adventure. This year it, the trio De Craene-Van Peteghem-De Puyseleyr was to impose on a Porsche Carrera series. The classification, the GT are heading on a score of 1-0 against the Protos.

23 years later, the prototypes displayed in Olympic form. I must say that this time they are supported by factory. Dries Heyman: "Our teams of amateurs do not have the budgets to afford a semi-trailer full of spare parts we request to brands such as Norma, Ligier, Wolf and Radical assist their customers and they take care -parts of the same reserve. It will be a challenge, since they hardly have more experience in endurance races of 24 hours. In principle, it is tailored for sprint cars, but as the mechanical components, due to the slight structure, are similar to those of series, it is expected less wear. "

And especially the supplies of prototypes will be much less frequent than the GT and Touring cars. Certainly, the cavalry of recent is that much more impressive 300 hp of Protos, but their mass times flirting with hard impact and a half ton brakes and transmission.

Regarding the drivers, some names are deemed advertisements. Experts like Guy Verheyen, Philip Daniels, Olivier van Oost, Qvick Erik and Tom Van Rompuy will compete to be the first ranks. Their chances of success? Difficult to assess, but they will fight to the limit. A driver that will certainly win it: Fred Bouvy, very fast with any frame and fully capable to realize a feat in Proto. Here too he negotiated the best package car and crew. Confirmation early August.

Appointment Thursday, September 6 for workouts from morning until just before midnight and freely accessible to the general public. The kickoff will be given 24 hours of Saturday, September 8 to 16 hours.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3114669)   #6
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Tentative schedule can be found here: http://www.bravoracing.be/wp-content...t-timing-5.pdf

On the plus side
+ Relative small, compact track, easy to walk around (on the inside, outside not entirely accessible)
+ Close to the lovely city of Hasselt and since there's nothing going on on Friday you might wanna have a look at it
+ If you like noisy dance music there's the festival
+ Flemish fries

On the downside
- poor grids for the last couple of years, things are looking brighter this year but I'm not holding my breath (around 40 cars are expected)
- if you don't like noisy dance music then there's the festival...
- nothing going on on Friday, if you're stuck at the track it might be boring...

(Dutch) Supercar Challenge ran for 6 hours last year, this year teams are encouraged to go there (it's an 'invitational' event) but no points are rewarded.

Cancellation of ELMS races at Brno the same weekend could mean Speed Series teams are looking for an alternative for their support races and come to Zolder instead (pure speculation on my part at this point).

Have fun!

Last edited by Coach Ep; 1 Aug 2012 at 12:09.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3114696)   #7
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, il give it some thought. i'm very tempted to do the nurburgring 24hrs next year also, thats def a bigger event!

Thanks again

Simon
Old 1 Aug 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3114831)   #8
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Prospeed enters something eventually, even if it just one of their BRCC cars.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3114895)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
I hope Prospeed enters something eventually, even if it just one of their BRCC cars.
If anything probably only a Cup-Porsche.

The 996 RS in BRCC is running on Fred Bouvy's Red Bull money and he is going to run the 24 in a Juno prototype.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3114928)   #10
JCE.72
Rookie

Belgium
JCE.72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
If anything probably only a Cup-Porsche.
Then it'll be the #60 911 GT3 Cup that also participates in BRCC.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3116656)   #11
gino
Racer

Germany
Berlin-Brandenburg
gino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news about the entrys ??
Old 8 Aug 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3117701)   #12
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I saw an article (somewhere I dont remember although I'll have a look) that WRT and Marc VDS will be there.
From internal team source Wrt will be there with a special R8 testing some special parts ... more powerfull
Old 8 Aug 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3117713)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe a precursor to a GTE R8? I wonder!
Old 8 Aug 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3117729)   #14
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that Audi would ever test a GTE version in this race. Could be some new parts to make them faster on long straights. But quite interesting how fast WRT developed. Really strong team in my opinion.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3117843)   #15
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No, not the whole car, but pieces they could use for a GTE version. The 'new' R8 is due next year, why not try some new components on that front? I'm sure it's more than just some trick headlights that're going to change.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3117893)   #16
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm is this allowed? The current R8 is homologated by the FIA. If you change parts, the homologation becomes invalid, or?
Old 9 Aug 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3117924)   #17
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait a minute, is Audi gonna tackle GTE in the future, especially at Le Mans when they have a LMP team too? Wow, this is too much for them...
Old 9 Aug 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3117949)   #18
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Hmm is this allowed? The current R8 is homologated by the FIA. If you change parts, the homologation becomes invalid, or?
I believe the RACB is organising the event, so FIA GT3 regulations are more guidelines than rules.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3123310)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
According to Endurance Info, WRT pilots for the R8 are Vanthoor, Bonanomi, Sandstrom to be joined by Anthony Kumpen.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3132071)   #20
GT3.14
Veteran

Is it true? Streaming of the race?

http://sport.turbomagazine.be/news_N...p_Life_tv.html
Old 6 Sep 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3132090)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Due to an injury Maxime Martin will be replaced by Nicky Catsburg at VDS.
Old 8 Sep 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3132901)   #22
GT3.14
Veteran

Live streaming.
http://lifetv.eu/