Old 16 Oct 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2041536)   #1
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to design a circuit?

Hi All

What programs do you use to created your circuits?

There are a lot of designs in this Gped thingy, but I can't work out how to use it

I quite fancy having a go at designing one on the old RAF Syerston near Newark (link below)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=k&z=15&om=1

Or if anyone here fancies a go, please feel free.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2041600)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gmap is easier than it looks though I have to say that I don't actually like it.

Find your location, click on Start recording, then double click on the map area where you want to start, move along a bit and double click again. and the line will appear.
Make a mistake and click on the undo last...you can keep clicking all the way back to the start.

At the end click on save, and it gives you a weblink that you can copy and paste into here.

For original designs, either pencil and paper, which you can then scan, and add colours if you wish. MS Paint is good for curves.
For full on graphics versions then paint, PaintShopPro or even Photoshop
Old 16 Oct 2007, 11:38 (Ref:2041603)   #3
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use Paint Shop Pro when working on a pc. But I'm now on my second Mac since mid-2005, so I haven't designed any new circuits since then. I do like to scribble on gmap-pedometer.com, though.

So, here's my thought on Syerston. It's counter-clockwise and just under 6 km (3,7 mi) long. I've a hunch that we've done this one before, though.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1393320
Old 16 Oct 2007, 16:26 (Ref:2041925)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I use MS Paint, as all my designs are done in the basic style of racingcircuits.net

http://theracingline.net/racingcircuits/racingcircuits
Old 16 Oct 2007, 22:34 (Ref:2042270)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm the same as jab, it's the best way.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:14 (Ref:2042300)   #6
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to use Paint, now I'm trying to transition over to Paint Shop Pro but I haven't quite figured out how to do everything I want to do (track borders, mostly) with the method I use to draw out tracks. That's basically why I haven't bothered making anything in a while.

EDIT: Also, I use Gmaps/Google Earth too if it's a street circuit.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 21:00 (Ref:2043088)   #7
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as made-up circuits, paper and pencil (or pen in many instances with me in class) do the trick.

Real world edits, I would use MSPaint and use the original tracks on the archived Motor Racing Circuits site. But I also like to use Gped and instead of post that, I actually export it to a .gpx file (read up about it on Gped) and import into Google Earth where it's easier to manage and get a screenshot of.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2044661)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I use The GIMP, which is an advance image editing program. It takes a while to get used to but I can do an awful lot with it now if I can be bothered. I personally find it easier to use, once you know how, than MS Paint.