Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 Nov 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2791692)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Design a Kart Circuit

Further similar challenge for you all...

The winning design will become reality, with the track due to open next month in Edinburgh, Scotland
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 16 Nov 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2791791)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74 View Post
Further similar challenge for you all...

The winning design will become reality, with the track due to open next month in Edinburgh, Scotland
Good stuff, will have a go at some point!
Old 17 Nov 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2791935)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One Karting Track....

As you wish!!!

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 17 Nov 2010 at 00:17.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2791946)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll throw this on in the mix as well.

Didn't read the instructions properly, they'll have to do a lap and have the grid on the pit straight
Attached Thumbnails
Kart.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2010, 02:46 (Ref:2791955)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neither did I, I thought the line on the canvas was the starting line ... I'm not having problems since I put a straight right after but that's was pure luck.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2792795)   #6
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a quick one. Kept it simple as I'm not a fan of the typical kart track layouts where the circuit is constantly folding back on itself to make as long a track as possible

Old 18 Nov 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2792894)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I had a splash with paint
Its rough but you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex3c.jpg  
Old 19 Nov 2010, 01:49 (Ref:2792931)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I had another splash with Paint.
Thsi one is one of those fold back use all the space ideas. A few good straights and a slow corner onto the pit straight for safety reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex4.jpg   newbridgex5.jpg  
Old 20 Nov 2010, 04:03 (Ref:2793332)   #9
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a couple, MS Paint specials. The second design does waste a little bit of space but has a more unique layout than some (the exact dimensions might need fudging also, I didn't have a gauge for 6m wide at the angles)

Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex2.JPG   newbridgex3.JPG  
Old 21 Nov 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2793759)   #10
Teretonga
Veteran

These are a mixture of faster sweepting sections initially and closed corners looping back on each other. Essentially, you get closer racing on simpler circuits, so I would try to avoid over complex tracks, especially for hire tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex4e.jpg   newbridgex4d.jpg  
Old 22 Nov 2010, 23:56 (Ref:2794521)   #11
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
I doodled this one up at work when I should have been working...
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex4.JPG  
Old 23 Nov 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2794576)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
I doodled this one up at work when I should have been working...
I quite like that. Real Variety in the corners.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2794772)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ok here's mine

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
kart track idea.jpg  
Old 23 Nov 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2794797)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errr... there's something i don't seem to understand... The "tender" says: "... the drivers can exit the pits onto the grid" All your designs have the pit exit AFTER the grid - which is hardly a wonder, since both the start line and the pit exit have been included "by default". So, the designs simply cannot meet this requirement.

What did i manage to misunderstand?

bio
Old 23 Nov 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2794941)   #15
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Errr... there's something i don't seem to understand... The "tender" says: "... the drivers can exit the pits onto the grid" All your designs have the pit exit AFTER the grid - which is hardly a wonder, since both the start line and the pit exit have been included "by default". So, the designs simply cannot meet this requirement.

What did i manage to misunderstand?

bio
Well, we're kind of painted into a corner here (no pun intended). Either 1 of 2 things has to happen:
- The first piece of track after the first corner (assumed to be bottom left) has to be a straight
- The pit lane has to run counter the track direction, with the entrance in the bottom left and exit in the bottom right (I've seen this before, but not very often)

I was a little perplexed by this requirement also, but I tried to meet it using the first option.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2794962)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The requirement about the grid, I'd imagine was to prevent having to have everyone do a full lap out of the pits to reach the grid. In theory though not very practical the grid could fit on any 5 "square long" straight in any of the designs.

For me it makes sense to have the finish line as a start/finish line and have the grid form up parallel to the pits.

What no-one has shown yet is a design which just uses the fixed 2 squares at the finish line, to have a short finish line...the pit entry location is fixed, but it doesn't have to be the last corner
Old 24 Nov 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2794972)   #17
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What no-one has shown yet is a design which just uses the fixed 2 squares at the finish line, to have a short finish line...the pit entry location is fixed, but it doesn't have to be the last corner
Very true, but if you're going to hold longer races with pit stops it won't be practical to have a pit lane entrance and exit in significantly different spots on the track. A drive-thru essentially cuts off half the track.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 09:29 (Ref:2795070)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

So we'll play around a little and make the twisty bits adjacent to the pits and the longest straight at the far end of the track....
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex6.jpg  
Old 11 Dec 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2803110)   #19
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Two more

1st: Nobody said the start grid had to be conventional, so lets go Le Mans/herringbone style
I made it able to be back-loaded from the pitlane exit, but the entrance is away from the exit of the first corner when racing

2nd: this is the "make you fricking dizzy" layout
Attached Thumbnails
newbridgex5.JPG   newbridgex6.JPG  

Last edited by Duff_44; 11 Dec 2010 at 22:49. Reason: Fixed my fat-finger syndrome induced issues
Old 12 Dec 2010, 03:33 (Ref:2803156)   #20
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my shot.
Attached Thumbnails
karttrack.png