Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 9 Dec 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3176937)   #76
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
The latest figures I saw showed that FISHING was the most dangerous sport in NZ with a number of fatalities
Ah, but there is no governing body for fishing in NZ (MoF and Fish & Game don't count) and although there are organized events, the bulk of fishing deaths occur with stupid people either fishing alone off rocks (no spotter) or in overcorwded boats with no lifejackets.

If you took casual racing into account (i.e. boy racers on public roads) the toll would be somewhat higher. Expand that to idiots who think they are on a racetrack while on the road and it would go higher again. But is not a valid argument against motorsport as they are uncontrolled activities.

Sport by its nature is dangerous, so the maximum effort must be made to ensure the safety of its competitors (hence the recent ban on various tackles in League).

In motorsport the risks are high due to speeds, but this can be mitigated by the use of safe circuits and safe cars. It is worth noting that despite some pretty horrific crashes in F1 there have been no deaths since Ayrton Senna, which is pretty amazing. This is partly due to circuit design and partly due to robust car design.

Whilst forcing extreme safety measures to all levels of motorsport would be prohibitively expensive, there are no doubt still plenty of things that can be done to both cars and circuits to minimize as much as possible the risk of injury or death if an accident does occur.

Technology moves quickly and it would be wise to move with it.

Bikes, unfortunately are inherently dangerous and short of some sort of suit of armour like the "bear proof suit" I don't know how much can be done to protect riders from being struck when they come off or being injured when their bodies hit something at speed (other than maximising the flat distance able to be travelled - run off area - from the apex of any corner).
Old 18 Feb 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3206578)   #77
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry didn't know where to ask has anyone heard any details on the condition of Stan Redmond and what happened in the accident.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3206827)   #78
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Is it just the motorcycles that use the long course at Manfeild? Is it a specific, safety-related issue that leads to the shorter course seemingly getting MUCH more use?
Old 18 Feb 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3206839)   #79
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Sorry didn't know where to ask has anyone heard any details on the condition of Stan Redmond and what happened in the accident.
From yesterday's Southland Times:

Driver in serious condition after racing car crash
05:00 18/02/2013

A 65-year-old man yesterday remained in intensive care in a serious condition at Dunedin Hospital after his Formula 5000 car crashed during a practice race at Teretonga Park on Friday.

The country's controlling body has not released the driver's name but it has been reported that Christchurch driver Stan Redmond was at the wheel of the Formula 5000 car when it crashed.

Drivers were on the track testing ahead of the weekend's Classic Speedfest.

Racing website Speedcafe.co.nz reported Redmond had emerged from an induced coma.

He had suffered a serious head injury and was diagnosed with possible rib injuries following the sickening crash with American Eric Haga, who escaped serious injury, the website reported.

In a statement MotorSport New Zealand said it was saddened to learn of the accident which resulted in one of drivers sustaining serious injuries.

MotorSport New Zealand president Shayne Harris said the sport's thoughts were with the injured driver's family and friends at this time.

"MotorSport New Zealand is conducting its own enquiry and investigation into the incident," he said.

Motorsport carried risks for those who participated and as a result the sport had robust safety rules, Harris said.

Southland Sports Car Club president Howard Kingford-Smith declined to comment on the accident yesterday.

New Zealand Formula 5000 officials at Teretonga yesterday said the team was "cut up" about the crash, but also declined to speak about the accident, confirm what had caused it, or even name Redmond.

They said the driver's wife had requested the organisation stay quiet.

However, they acknowledged the driver's name was readily available on social media sites.

The New Zealand Formula 5000 Association website states Redmond has been racing Formula 5000 cars since 1997.

Redmond was taken by helicopter to Dunedin Hospital in critical condition on Friday night and a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday he remained in intensive care. His condition was listed as serious.

Police said the two cars connected with each other at 4.15pm as they negotiated a bend and one of the cars hit a tyre safety wall.

Police said yesterday they were leaving the investigation to MotorSport New Zealand because no-one had died.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3206861)   #80
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Is it just the motorcycles that use the long course at Manfeild? Is it a specific, safety-related issue that leads to the shorter course seemingly getting MUCH more use?
I am guessing here but at the few meetings I have attended with big grids, I was told that it was a shortage of flag marshals that often dictated the use of the long track - but I can't see that stacking up.

However, with the miserably small fields in our so called Tier One meetings, it is rather pointless having a longer track with less than 12 runners.

As far as I am aware, the only spectator access at Manfeild is on the start finish straight and whilst spectator viewing may be reasonable, if you want to take photographs from the public areas, it is hopeless. The long track would make it even worse.

To get back to safety, I still find it difficult to accept that fitting full harness belts in NZ is illegal, unless you have an exemption/authority card. It isn't illegal in most other countries.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3206890)   #81
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I am guessing here but at the few meetings I have attended with big grids, I was told that it was a shortage of flag marshals that often dictated the use of the long track - but I can't see that stacking up.

However, with the miserably small fields in our so called Tier One meetings, it is rather pointless having a longer track with less than 12 runners.

As far as I am aware, the only spectator access at Manfeild is on the start finish straight and whilst spectator viewing may be reasonable, if you want to take photographs from the public areas, it is hopeless. The long track would make it even worse.

To get back to safety, I still find it difficult to accept that fitting full harness belts in NZ is illegal, unless you have an exemption/authority card. It isn't illegal in most other countries.
manfeild stopped running on the 4.5 k full circuit many years ago when safety standards upgrades were deemed too expensive....the interveening years have seen the area turned into field days with lots of pipes and power points and other on ground fixtures meaning the extension is a long way away from being able to be used for motorsport again...
Old 18 Feb 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3206914)   #82
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Harcey, I don't know that I'd call three years (at the most) "many".

Superbikes on the long course in 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVeH8qud11Q

Thanks, Socram, for the information.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3206917)   #83
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Harcey, I don't know that I'd call three years (at the most) "many".

Superbikes on the long course in 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVeH8qud11Q

Thanks, Socram, for the information.
was talking cars in my post.....we all know bike safety rules are quite different from cars......
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:05 (Ref:3206951)   #84
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being on the Board of Manfield Autocourse at the time, the extension was primarily aimed at continuing to attract World Superbikes as they at the time liked a circuit that had flat corners as well as banked. All corners on the original Manfield 3.3km circuit are banked, the extension isnt.

When cars used it, some comment came back that it was just too different in the nature to be enjoyable. Bikes may well be different.

The comment regarding manpower does have some validity.

Ray; part of the plans were to have public access/grandstand on the new part, but never happened due to lack of $$$.

It does get used for cars still; but mainly for bent sprints and club events etc.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3206953)   #85
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
[QUOTE=harcey;3206890]manfeild stopped running on the 4.5 k full circuit many years ago when safety standards upgrades were deemed too expensive.... QUOTE]

Correct
Old 18 Feb 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3206954)   #86
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Talk to the Government
Old 21 Feb 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3208317)   #87
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Very sadly, he has passed away.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/02/21/...edin-hospital/
Old 21 Feb 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3208337)   #88
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
From yesterday's Southland Times:

Driver in serious condition after racing car crash
05:00 18/02/2013

A 65-year-old man yesterday remained in intensive care in a serious condition at Dunedin Hospital after his Formula 5000 car crashed during a practice race at Teretonga Park on Friday.

The country's controlling body has not released the driver's name but it has been reported that Christchurch driver Stan Redmond was at the wheel of the Formula 5000 car when it crashed.

Drivers were on the track testing ahead of the weekend's Classic Speedfest.

Racing website Speedcafe.co.nz reported Redmond had emerged from an induced coma.

He had suffered a serious head injury and was diagnosed with possible rib injuries following the sickening crash with American Eric Haga, who escaped serious injury, the website reported.

In a statement MotorSport New Zealand said it was saddened to learn of the accident which resulted in one of drivers sustaining serious injuries.

MotorSport New Zealand president Shayne Harris said the sport's thoughts were with the injured driver's family and friends at this time.

"MotorSport New Zealand is conducting its own enquiry and investigation into the incident," he said.

Motorsport carried risks for those who participated and as a result the sport had robust safety rules, Harris said.

Southland Sports Car Club president Howard Kingford-Smith declined to comment on the accident yesterday.

New Zealand Formula 5000 officials at Teretonga yesterday said the team was "cut up" about the crash, but also declined to speak about the accident, confirm what had caused it, or even name Redmond.

They said the driver's wife had requested the organisation stay quiet.

However, they acknowledged the driver's name was readily available on social media sites.

The New Zealand Formula 5000 Association website states Redmond has been racing Formula 5000 cars since 1997.

Redmond was taken by helicopter to Dunedin Hospital in critical condition on Friday night and a hospital spokeswoman said yesterday he remained in intensive care. His condition was listed as serious.

Police said the two cars connected with each other at 4.15pm as they negotiated a bend and one of the cars hit a tyre safety wall.

Police said yesterday they were leaving the investigation to MotorSport New Zealand because no-one had died.
Sadly - Stan Redmond passed away in hospital today following the crash in the weekend:

Speedcafe Link

RIP
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3208353)   #89
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
First time I can say I agree with you 100%. It doesn't matter what you ultimately do, by it's very nature it is dangerous. When an issue is highlighted though, act on it. That's what I don't get about lots of the posts. I'm amazed the 'well it has a license so it's as safe as it needs to be' attitude. I honestly, genuinely cannot get my head around that, and I guess to me John's crash just highlights huge gains that could be made from small improvements. In other words, an opportunity to learn.

Still amazed by Bill's comments.
As opposed to what is happening on the public roads just a few yards away...known black spots killing the unwary with impunity...no money to fix the problems! ..but do it on a race track under strictly controlled and mostly safe conditions and the sky is falling!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3208374)   #90
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Very sad news, didn't know him personally but I know people who did. RIP.