Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 May 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1299088)   #1
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
RobC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any Global GT Lights owners here?

Hi,

Looking into buying a Global GT light and wondered if anyone could give me some tips on what to look for and what to walk away from. I'm quite mechaical when it comes to "normal" cars but this will be my first proper race car so my learning curve starts here. I am mainly interested in the R1 based car. Budget is around £12k

Thanks for any pointers

Cheers
Rob
Old 12 May 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1299134)   #2
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob,
There have been a few for sale in the back of AutoSport.
Also I think Richard Cotrill (sp?) did have one for sale at one point, and Im sure the Global Lights co-ordinator would be able to help you find one (their contact number is on the BRSCC website www.brscc.co.uk).

Alternatively, you could come racing in F.Jedi
Again using R1 engines and pretty straight forward mechanics, with about the same running costs as GLights, but a tad quicker with greater corner speeds.

Excellent support from the factory at all race meets and with the average grid this year exceeding 20 cars and a great bunch of people, you wouldnt regret it.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, good luck.
Rgds
JC
Old 12 May 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1299198)   #3
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
JC

Thanks for that, I've looked at the Jedi's and was very tempted but the GT style cars have won me over, if only because I can use them on trackdays if I want (can't run open-wheeled cars these days )

Cheers
Rob
Old 13 May 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1299756)   #4
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC
JC

Thanks for that, I've looked at the Jedi's and was very tempted but the GT style cars have won me over, if only because I can use them on trackdays if I want (can't run open-wheeled cars these days )

Cheers
Rob
Fair point about track days as they really as the cheapest form of testing in comparison with official circuit test days.

Have fun
Old 14 May 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1300892)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
not sure global GT is definatley the way to go - good cars for sure but do look at older radicals, ADR's and things along those lines... because you could look at Bikesports with 750mc or perhaps even BritSports if you find the right car
Old 16 May 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1302056)   #6
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
I've heard nothing but bad things relating to ADR's so I don't think they are an option. However Radicals might be, I'm still very much in the deciding stage at the moment. I am intending to run in the Castle Combe GT Chmp'ship so it'll have to be competitive in class C (upto 1600cc). Whats the advantages of the Radicals? I had heard they were expensive to run...again this is why I'm doing this research to find the facts rather than the waffle
Old 16 May 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1302086)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the car to have in class C is a Radical Prosport.. holds the lap record and i believe that they would be much quicker than a Global Light (is that right?)

Can't see why a Radcial would be significantly more expensive to run than a Global Light?
Old 16 May 2005, 11:27 (Ref:1302088)   #8
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
This is where I get confused with all the Radical ***Sport names .. I presume Pro is better than Club but I am not sure what the advantages of each are.... me confused...never
Old 16 May 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1302092)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a new big global coming I think though - the GT2. Rob Racecar Engineering may be of interest to you in September...

When ar you looking to get out - might be better to go to a few of the various series races, Combes, Global GT, BritSports, BikeSports open sports racing cup if it hasn't died
Old 16 May 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1302101)   #10
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Yeah planning to have a chat with the Combe GT boys at the F3 meeting in June. New global sounds good but I'd guess it would be out of my budget.
Old 16 May 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1302103)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the Radical website for the details.. Prosport in quicker than clubsport and is 2 seconds quicker round Snetts than a Global Light..
Old 16 May 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1302183)   #12
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simply a Clubsport is a Kawasaki 1100 with no wings and front dive planes. Prosport is Hyabusa 1300 and has wing and dive planes.

They are very expensive to run in the "official" radical series as all parts including tyres have to be bought from Radical....lots of people run them in other series and source their own tyres/parts.

There are plenty of club/pro sports around.

Archibold
Old 19 May 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1304468)   #13
RobC
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Leaning towards Radicals now....thanks for all the feed back so far.