Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3792168)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
F1 Drivers Moonlighting

As the Toro Rosso Honda thread does not seem the right place for this discussion. (Maybe a Moderator would consider moving the off thread post relating to Daytona posts from that thread to here?)

Daytona Qualifying 2018

http://results.imsa.com/

http://results.imsa.com/ (Thanks Richard)

Car 37

Robin Frijns 1:37.697
Juncadella 1:37.971
Rosenquvist 1:37.995
Stroll 1:38.423

Car 23

Fernando Alonso 1:37.515
Lando Norris 1:38.079
Phil Hanson 1:39.138

Not Mr Stroll's best day at the office.

Class from Alonso.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 01:31 (Ref:3792172)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm on a touch screen and moving posts is an absolute pita to do via screen prodding so i'll leave that to someone else.

but you do realise you're wrong about wec timing, right? they do list exactly who does what times... unless i'm missing a point?
Old 12 Jan 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3792192)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm on a touch screen and moving posts is an absolute pita to do via screen prodding so i'll leave that to someone else.

but you do realise you're wrong about wec timing, right? they do list exactly who does what times... unless i'm missing a point?
Thanks Bella, I had not seen that before, I am not hugely interested in endurance racing, so all I wanted before was the individual qualifying times, and up to now I have not been able to see them.

Originally was scratching for Schumacher, Frentzen, Wendlinger, Mass times at Mercedes WEC, after a driver I knew had seen Schumacher in the wet in the Mercedes and sworn blind he was untouchable and would be a future WDC, good tip!

Back to Daytona quali

Car 31

Felipe Nasr 1:35.806 (Pole Position) Great Work!
Mike Conway 1:37.477
Eric Curran 1:37.976
Stuart Middleton 1:38.352

Car 32

Bruno Senna 1:37.779
Paul DiResta 1:38.869
Hugo de Sadelaar 1:39.719
Will Owen 1:39.869

Looks like young Bruno isn't as slow as some think, specially up against Di Resta, another Williams wannabee.

Last edited by wnut; 12 Jan 2018 at 03:48.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3792227)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think you’re overanalysing to a degree and assuming a level playing field. but i do agree that bruno senna is underrated - he’s a clever boy. not that di resta isn’t, but...
Old 12 Jan 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3792245)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, Bruno was a very solid driver in F1 and that approach is showing up well in sportscars. Certainly it's good to see so many current and ex F1 drivers in Daytona. It's a shame though Nasr isn't in F1 anymore
Old 12 Jan 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3792251)   #6
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jenson Button will be a moonlightling Super GT driver when he drives a Jaguar XJR-9 at Le Mans Classic this year.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...s-classic.html

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...and-gt300.html
Old 12 Jan 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3792278)   #7
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I read this thread title I kind of chuckled, because I don't see it as moonlighting for these drivers. I see them as racing drivers, capable of driving a wide range of machinery, but happen to be employed in F1 at the moment. I know it may be semantics, but that is how I like to think about it at least.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3792295)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It all started with the Hulk going and winning Le Mans, now look what has happened since
Old 12 Jan 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3792325)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
When I read this thread title I kind of chuckled, because I don't see it as moonlighting for these drivers. I see them as racing drivers, capable of driving a wide range of machinery, but happen to be employed in F1 at the moment. I know it may be semantics, but that is how I like to think about it at least.
Agreed. I yearn for the days when drivers earned their crust racing in all disciplines and the fact that being an F1 driver wasn't seen as some kind of bar to competing in other arenas. Good to see Mr. Alonso at least trying to bust those myths....
Old 12 Jan 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3792331)   #10
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It all started with the Hulk going and winning Le Mans, now look what has happened since
Only if you believe the world started in 2015!
Old 12 Jan 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3792333)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
As the Toro Rosso Honda thread does not seem the right place for this discussion. (Maybe a Moderator would consider moving the off thread post relating to Daytona posts from that thread to here?)

Daytona Qualifying 2018

http://results.imsa.com/

http://results.imsa.com/ (Thanks Richard)

Car 37

Robin Frijns 1:37.697
Juncadella 1:37.971
Rosenquvist 1:37.995
Stroll 1:38.423

Car 23

Fernando Alonso 1:37.515
Lando Norris 1:38.079
Phil Hanson 1:39.138

Not Mr Stroll's best day at the office.

Class from Alonso.
If we're going to be overly analytical, then you have to be sure you know what you're analysing.

So firstly, this wasn't Daytona 24 Hour qualifying - it was Roar Before the 24 Qualifying, which is to decide garage slots and encourage teams to stick around on the final day for fans. It's in absolutely no way a proper qualifying session, and is more of a test session. The only people it really effects are the bottom set of GTD teams, who will get given the old wet and windy garages.

Secondly, only 1 driver qualified each car. Senna and Alonso qualified the United Autosports cars. What you've quoted is testing times, nothing more.

Thirdly, for the European teams the Roar was more about understanding the Continental Tyres. None of the Euros have run on these tyres before, and they're absolutely completely different to the Michelins and Dunlops in Europe. On top of that, they have special compounds for Daytona, and don't like the cold weather. So testing times aren't that significant, especially for United Autosports and Jackie Chan DC Racing Jota. Laptimes are meaningless, because of traffic, conditions and setup. You're after time over a stint.

The next bit is a bit of self promotion, so the mods can decide if this is a bit much. However one of my big problems with Sportscar and Endurance Racing is it isn't very welcoming to new fans, as it's quite different to a lot of other series. So I've produced a Beginners Guide to the Daytona 24 Hours. That'll go live on the 22nd of January, a few days before the race. But if you want to more about the Roar Before the 24 Test, and what the sessions actually mean then -

http://theracingline.net/2018/imsa/w...rn-prototypes/
http://theracingline.net/2018/imsa/w...-24-learn-gts/

I do think a lot more people would enjoy sportscars if they understood it. It's just not well explained at times. And a lot don't realise they can watch it for free.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 12 Jan 2018 at 18:40.
Old 13 Jan 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3792442)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Only if you believe the world started in 2015!
Well it had been a while since this last happened reguarly
Old 13 Jan 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3792443)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
is one or two drivers a season doing a race with a team they're aligned with through sponsors really that regularly though? i'd like to see it more as well, but with the f1 calendar getting bigger and bigger it's a bit harder to fit something in and do it justice unless you're someone like alonso.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 04:24 (Ref:3792608)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
In the good old days fulltime F1 drivers drove F1,F2,F3 sports cars,saloon cars and did Indy as well.
Not like todays snowflakes who only do Facebook outside F1....
Old 14 Jan 2018, 06:29 (Ref:3792619)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heavily depressed.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 07:47 (Ref:3792626)   #16
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
is one or two drivers a season doing a race with a team they're aligned with through sponsors really that regularly though? i'd like to see it more as well, but with the f1 calendar getting bigger and bigger it's a bit harder to fit something in and do it justice unless you're someone like alonso.
Not really - they don't do testing any more and have the life of Riley compared to their Seventies counterparts .Huge money and a fraction of the risk.

It wasn't unusual to combine F1 with, Indy 500 , Can Am and sports prototypes- and rallying too in Vic Elford's case . But as most people who watch F1 don't seem to have much of a clue about life outside F1 , or the sport's history , they started bleating about diluting the brand and similar guff when Alonso decided to do what his predecessors did .
Old 14 Jan 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3792632)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
In the good old days fulltime F1 drivers drove F1,F2,F3 sports cars,saloon cars and did Indy as well.
Not like todays snowflakes who only do Facebook outside F1....
Excellent post. We often saw the likes of Moss, Hawthorn, etc drive saloons, sports cars, and Grand Prix cars at the same meeting, and next weekend probably be doing World Sports Car races at Monza, Nurburgring, or Le Mans.

Proper RACING DRIVERS, not Formula 1 Divas. Back in the day if you signed for Mercedes or Ferrari you raced where ever and what ever the factory told you to. I am sure the Targa Florio in a Testa Rosso Ferrari would soil a few items today.

It was not coincidence - it was the job.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3792636)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Proper RACING DRIVERS, not Formula 1 Divas. Back in the day if you signed for Mercedes or Ferrari you raced where ever and what ever the factory told you to. I am sure the Targa Florio in a Testa Rosso Ferrari would soil a few items today.
Isn't that exactly the same as today? You drive what the factory tells you to. Or, more accurately, you're not allowed to drive what the factory doesn't let you. It's hardly the drivers fault that the team paying them a ludicrous amount of money isn't going to let them go elsewhere. This is why Kimi wore a gorilla mask and entered a snow mobile race as James Hunt - he wasn't actually allowed to do it.

It died off purely because of contractual issues. Not F1 divas. Very few drivers have actually said they don't want to drive other cars. One of the few who has said that, ironically, is Mark Webber, who was very disparaging about other series.

It is sad we don't see more cross over. But I do think we're unfairly blaming the drivers for that.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 10:31 (Ref:3792641)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Isn't that exactly the same as today? You drive what the factory tells you to. Or, more accurately, you're not allowed to drive what the factory doesn't let you. It's hardly the drivers fault that the team paying them a ludicrous amount of money isn't going to let them go elsewhere. This is why Kimi wore a gorilla mask and entered a snow mobile race as James Hunt - he wasn't actually allowed to do it.

It died off purely because of contractual issues. Not F1 divas. Very few drivers have actually said they don't want to drive other cars. One of the few who has said that, ironically, is Mark Webber, who was very disparaging about other series.

It is sad we don't see more cross over. But I do think we're unfairly blaming the drivers for that.

Good point, it is the current attitude to F1 that is wrong I suppose, it is the be-all-and-end all of motor sport too many people. Having Bottas/Hamilton or Vettel/Raikkonen sharing sports cars and saloons in varies series would do the Manufacturers no harm at all.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3792643)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Good point, it is the current attitude to F1 that is wrong I suppose, it is the be-all-and-end all of motor sport too many people. Having Bottas/Hamilton or Vettel/Raikkonen sharing sports cars and saloons in varies series would do the Manufacturers no harm at all.
I'm guessing (and it is a pure guess), that the money has caused it. When sponsors start paying £50m a year to be on a car, they can make extra demands, and the teams have to obey.

So Mobil 1 say to McLaren "We're paying £50m to be on the car. With that £50m we want Lewis in the car, no excuses". So suddenly, McLaren aren't allowed to not have Lewis in the car. So if Lewis goes and hurts himself in a quad biking...sorry, tennis accident (looking at you JPM!), then they aren't fullfilling that contract.

Then take it a step further. Mobil 1 also specify that Lewis isn't to wear a Shell icon. Fair enough, but what if Shell are the official fuel supplier of the Race of Champions? Well he's not doing that now, because the expensive Mobil 1 contract said so. RoC contract with Shell says all drivers must have a Shell icon, so the driver can't do it.

But Mobil 1 do want him to do Mobil 1 things. So Lewis does a car swap with Tony Stewart because both have Mobil 1 stickers on them.

When the money goes up, the people paying the money get to make all sorts of demands. Some crazy, some not so crazy, and the result is it limits the driver as an employee. If budgets were smaller, the sponsors pay less, and thus get to have less say in things.

I do think a lot more F1 drivers would do more things (Hulk and Alonso certainly do, Stroll is, and Vettel did RoC), but they simply aren't allowed.

It gets more complicated when manufacturers are involved. With Alonso, the fact he was even allowed to test the Toyota TS050 at Bahrain last year was a minor miracle given he was a Honda driver. But it was clear from the off that he would not be allowed to do any interviews or press work during the test, and the only quotes would come directly from Toyota (and probably OK'd by Honda during the process). That caused a bit of a fuss in the WEC paddock when a couple of journalists spat dummies that Alonso refused to speak to them, and criticised him quite heavily for it. Obviously Fernando is just sticking to the Honda guide lines, and the journalists were so wrapped up in their own self importance that they couldn't see passed the potential hit rate on their website should they get an exclusive Alonso scoop. (disclaimer: most journos understood and knew what was going on. Only a small handful were arsy about it).

It's kinda sad, but that's the way it is. Ideally budgets will drop, and sponsors will have less say and we'll see drivers move about more again.

Edit: there was a funny one in NASCAR a few years back. Coke and Pepsi both sponsor a good chunk of NASCAR Drivers and races. In victory lane, if Coke sponsored the race, when the car pulled in they'd stick a coke sponsor board on top of the car. If a Pepsi driver won, they'd get out of the car and deliberately knock the coke sponsored board off the top. It'd look like an excited act where the driver got carried away, but someone did a montage video of them all and it was pretty obvious. Sponsors were dictating how a driver acts in victory lane.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3792648)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rather than moaning that it's not like the old days, can't we celebrate the fact that things are shifting again and just enjoy it?

Would have been unthinkable to see 2 active F1 drivers at the Rolex 24 throughout the 2000s and most of this decade.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3792664)   #22
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
But I do think we're unfairly blaming the drivers for that.
I think you're spot on.
I've just been reading about Michele Alboreto this morning, and he took park in Le Mans 24 Hours both before and after his F1 career, but not once he'd joined Ferrari's F1 team in 1984 (he did a couple of Le Mans while at Tyrrell prior to that).
He also took part in the Indy 500 after F1.
Anyway, he plainly liked Le Mans otherwise he wouldn't have gone back after his first time, so I can't think of a personal reason for him not doing it from mid-80s to mid-90s, apart form his team boss probably saying "no!".

I realise this is an incredibly small sample size, and other drivers did take part in F1 and Le Mans during the same period, but just funny timing that he joined Ferrari in 1984, and his Le Mans visits ended until his F1 retirement.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3792665)   #23
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I think you're spot on.
I've just been reading about Michele Alboreto this morning, and he took park in Le Mans 24 Hours both before and after his F1 career, but not once he'd joined Ferrari's F1 team in 1984 (he did a couple of Le Mans while at Tyrrell prior to that).
He also took part in the Indy 500 after F1.
Anyway, he plainly liked Le Mans otherwise he wouldn't have gone back after his first time, so I can't think of a personal reason for him not doing it from mid-80s to mid-90s, apart form his team boss probably saying "no!".

I realise this is an incredibly small sample size, and other drivers did take part in F1 and Le Mans during the same period, but just funny timing that he joined Ferrari in 1984, and his Le Mans visits ended until his F1 retirement.
It's a small sample, but it's worth mentioning. Here's another one - immediately after leaving F1 for NASCAR, Montoya ran in the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Did he suddenly get interested in it, or was he suddenly allowed to do it?
Old 14 Jan 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3792676)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The last double dipping of F1 drivers at a GP weekend would probably have been the wonderful BMW Procar series in 79/80. They ran BMW M1's as a one make series as a GP support category with predominantly F1 drivers of the era in the entry, in I believe just European rounds.

Even in those days sponsorship contracts shaped the field with the Procar series running on Goodyear rubber. Those F1 drivers contracted to Michelin F1 teams were precluded from taking part.

A brilliant series none the less.
Old 14 Jan 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3792678)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

Mention of F1 drivers doing F2/F3 reminds me of the whole controversy of Nelson Piquet Jr not being allowed to compete in an Euro F3 race a couple of seasons ago. Surely that would have been a good benchmark for young drivers? Wasn't it Clark or Hill who discovered Rindt by competing against him in an F2 race in Crystal Palace? I know Hunt discovered Villeneuve by competing against him at Trois Riveres in F.Atlantic