Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Dec 2003, 21:19 (Ref:817644)   #1
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MotorSport's 20 Greatest Drivers

Not sure whether this should be here or in the historics forum so I'll let the moderators decide.

Just wondered what people thought of MotorSport's top 20 Sportscar list. It's for the period 1953-1992 (World Championship Years), hence the ommision of the pre-war greats and the best of the last few years.

1. Jacky Ickx
2. Striling Moss
3. Pedro Rodriguez
4. Derek Bell
5. Jo Siffert
6. Phil Hill
7. Olivier Gendebien
8. Hans Stuck
9. Bob Wollek
10. Henri Pescarolo
11. Jochen Mass
12. Stefan Bellof
13. Brian Redman
14. Vic Elford
15. Juan Manuel Fangio
16. Mario Andretti
17. Tony Brooks
18. John Surtees
19. Martin Brundle
20. Klaus Ludwig

I might put Brundle higher and fiddle with the order slightly myself, but I reckon this is one of the better 'greatest' lists. Most of the names are there, though I would perhaps have put Al Holbert or Mark Donohue (if we were to count Can-Am) in.

What do people think?

Last edited by krt917; 21 Dec 2003 at 21:20.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 23:34 (Ref:817745)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A decent enough list. I feel the same as you krt917. I don't really disagree with it strongly enough to need to change it!

I'd have put Siffert and Rodriguez next to each other, because they should be!
Old 22 Dec 2003, 03:21 (Ref:817930)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Siffert and Rodriguez should be level with, and clanging into, each other. Those were the days!

A great list. I would look, then think about it, and then find the name I was searching for on the list already. As an American I would want to include Gurney, and Foyt, for Le Mans '67.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 06:49 (Ref:817984)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A hard work !

I'd put Henri (Pescarolo) before Bob (Wolleck), if there's an order... Henri won four times, Unfortunate Bob always failled...
Old 22 Dec 2003, 09:16 (Ref:818035)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
A hard work !

I'd put Henri (Pescarolo) before Bob (Wolleck), if there's an order... Henri won four times, Unfortunate Bob always failled...
I remember the time that Porsche fired all but one of their drivers , Stuck , Boutsen the lot . But they did keep Brilliant Bob Wollek . I would have put Wollek before Pescarolo and certainly put Ludwig higher that 20th !!!

Good list though
Old 22 Dec 2003, 09:57 (Ref:818053)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
I remember the time that Porsche fired all but one of their drivers , Stuck , Boutsen the lot . But they did keep Brilliant Bob Wollek . I would have put Wollek before Pescarolo and certainly put Ludwig higher that 20th !!!

Good list though
After I posted, I started to ask to myself the question... was Henri better because he won 4 ? I just reacted because I'm a fan of Henri, less a fan of Bob (nothing objective in this).

Bob may have been better, but it's difficult to say who is better than who.

I was not sure, few days ago, that Mario was such a good sportscars pilot ; but I watched "Speed Merchants" since, and I changed my mind...

Those 20 pilots deserve their place here, no doubt.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 10:06 (Ref:818058)   #7
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing I find interesting about the list is that not one of the drivers listed won at all three classics, i.e. Daytona, Le Mans and Sebring. Actually, who has won all three? Of the top of my head, I can only think of Andy Wallace.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 10:53 (Ref:818092)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of drivers who not on the list are Graham Hill, (a damm fine driver and my all time favorite), and Chris Amon. Both of who won LM and at least one other classic.

I think D Bell, Al Holbart K Ludwig have all won Daytona, Sebring & LM to name a few
Maybe ickx as well
Old 22 Dec 2003, 12:01 (Ref:818137)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It would be great if (dreaming) they put Stucky in the TRG Porsche and they went out and won Daytona again , then we could add him to the "Ive won all three" winners podium .
Old 22 Dec 2003, 12:13 (Ref:818140)   #10
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Dinger Bell has never won at Sebring has he? And I think Ludwig has had a class win but no overall win at Daytona
Old 22 Dec 2003, 12:32 (Ref:818150)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just changed the title of the thread so it doesn't cause offence to the non-trainspotting F1 fans.....
Old 22 Dec 2003, 12:36 (Ref:818152)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its got to be a good list, I think. We might tinker with it a bit (and I agree that Holbert and Hill should probably be on it), but essentially, virtually all of the right names are there, I think.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 14:54 (Ref:818230)   #13
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I've just changed the title of the thread so it doesn't cause offence to the non-trainspotting F1 fans.....
Yes, I noticed the hassle you were having trying to convince some ignoramous that McNish is a quick driver worthy of a place in F1. I'd rather have him back in Sports Cars where he can enjoy it.

Back to the top sportscar drivers. A quick look around at lunch time and I think the following have all won each of the three major sports car races (Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans).

Jackie Oliver, Mauro Baldi, Andy Wallace, Hurley Haywood, AJ Foyt and Al Holbert. Jacky Ickx wone the Daytona 6 hours but not the 24. Anyone have the years? Incidently, four of those qualify for the MotorSport top 20 (i.e. up to 1992), but none are included. Discuss.........
Old 22 Dec 2003, 16:03 (Ref:818263)   #14
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your right, I should have checked first re the triple crown so to speak,
however looking at the to 20 list the more you look the more names you think should be there that are missing, G.Hill as I have already said, he must be on it, who else spans TT winning drives in the early 60's via many GP and indy races to a winning drive at LM in the 70's, top bloke.
Derek Warwick would be on my list as well, along with Oliver, Holbert and Haywood.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 16:16 (Ref:818269)   #15
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about J-L Schlesser, he was quite something in the Sauber-Mercedes ??? Along with Baldi, Ludwig, Thackwell, Mass, etc.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 16:53 (Ref:818283)   #16
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
what about J-L Schlesser, he was quite something in the Sauber-Mercedes ??? Along with Baldi, Ludwig, Thackwell, Mass, etc.
The Schlesser/Baldi/Mass trio always impressed me, so I agree.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 16:54 (Ref:818285)   #17
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just noticed Tiff Needell isn't on the list??
Old 22 Dec 2003, 19:08 (Ref:818390)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, he isn't.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 19:21 (Ref:818407)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I picked up Motor Sport in WHSmiths on Saturday and I have to say the list is just about there.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 19:33 (Ref:818417)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems to me that, in particular, Can-Am (Donohue, McLaren) and IMSA (Holbert, HAYWOOD!) are very underrepresented.

What were the criteria for this list?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Dec 2003, 19:58 (Ref:818436)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

Neither is Jan Lammer's !!!
Old 22 Dec 2003, 20:14 (Ref:818446)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great list, but I don't think I woiuld have dear Derek quite so high and Martin much higher.
Old 22 Dec 2003, 20:39 (Ref:818468)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrimage
The Schlesser/Baldi/Mass trio always impressed me, so I agree.
And Acheson
Old 22 Dec 2003, 23:49 (Ref:818567)   #24
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
what about J-L Schlesser, he was quite something in the Sauber-Mercedes ???
Apparently, he was 22nd in the voting (they've got that in a side bar), just behind Salvadori (who I thought was a bit on the high side).

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Seems to me that, in particular, Can-Am (Donohue, McLaren) and IMSA (Holbert, HAYWOOD!) are very underrepresented.

What were the criteria for this list?
Their starting point is the World Sportscar Championship (in its various guises), but they do bring in points about Can-Am and IMSA. The former is used to back-up Surtees' position, for example.

Honourable mentions also went to:
Mauro Baldi
Peter Collins
Jo Bonnier
Hans Herrmann
Dan Gurney
Chris Amon
Gerard Larrousse
Rolf Stommelen
Michael Schumacher
Bruce McLaren
Denny Hulme
Al Holbert
Hurley Haywood
Peter Gregg

The most obious omissions, I guess, are Donohue, Hawthorn and Lammers. You could argue that none of them did that much winning in World Sportscar races, but I'd still consider them.

Last edited by krt917; 22 Dec 2003 at 23:50.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 00:17 (Ref:818581)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How does Michael Schumacher get honorable mention when guys like Raul Boesel, Jean-Louis Schlesser, and Teo Fabi won drivers titles in WSC Group C? I believe Schumacher only won one race in Group C. Correct me if I'm missing something on this one.