Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Jan 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3498409)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGBB is BACK as Race Director

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11...-race-director

Yes...can you feel your blood pressure go up? Doesn't feel GOOOD!
Old 28 Jan 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3498432)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!

Looking forward to those damp oval races.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 22:11 (Ref:3498437)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will these jokers ever learn.

Old 28 Jan 2015, 23:30 (Ref:3498480)   #4
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously??? Couldn't one of us do it instead? There's a chance that we might look at the race instead of flipping a coin for the outcome of the incident.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3498691)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I was afraid of when Beaux Barfield quit. And guess what? It happened. Is there anything we can do to keep TGBB from reintroducing pack racing?
Old 29 Jan 2015, 13:13 (Ref:3498694)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Will these jokers ever learn.
Offtopic:
Chiana, that crash test looks like it's a car to avoid buying. What model is it?
Old 29 Jan 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3498698)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Offtopic:
Chiana, that crash test looks like it's a car to avoid buying. What model is it?
Ford Focus but it was going at 120mph so :P

Describes the upcoming reign of terror probably pretty good though...
Old 29 Jan 2015, 16:00 (Ref:3498750)   #8
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Derrick Walker, president of competition and operations for IndyCar is in favour of the appointment.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 16:39 (Ref:3498769)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Of course he is...
Old 29 Jan 2015, 20:04 (Ref:3498849)   #10
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's been told to be.

If there was any more indication needed that indycar is run by a cartel to service their own interests only, it's this.

Just when they had a modicum of momentum building up, they throw it away.

Fool me once...
Old 29 Jan 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3498895)   #11
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Copy/paste of my comment on Marshall Pruett's piece on this matter:

This is a mistake, plain and simple. But even Mr. Pruett's commentary on the matter makes it seem simpler than it is.

The only reason there is any hope for even the slightest bit of a positive outcome from this is because of the changes to race control as a whole that have been made while Barnhart was in a secondary role.

Even then, it's not a hope worth believing in. The problem isn't even simply his horrendous calls in race control in the past - it goes beyond that, and it's primary reason why I am, as Pruett says we should be, directing my ire for this choice at the series rather than Barnhart(for now).

The series has found not one, but TWO positions in which Barnahrt excels in; As a supporting role in race control, and as a TV director. As Pruett noted, Barnahrt's gotten a lot of thumbs up from his time as one of the support structures behind Baeux Barfield - and rightly so given how race control has been restructured.

The problem is that evidence does not support the notion that he could do well under the current system while operating at the top of it. History shows he does not have the proper mindset for it, and there is to date no evidence that the revamp to race control will make his mindset a suitable one for the top position.

On top of that, at one point during 2012, Randy Bernard forced ABC to let Barnhart direct the race broadcast and the result was the best coverage ABC had given us in almost ten years. Subsequently ABC finally started straightening out their problems after the resulting positive feedback.

So we have TWO positions that Brian Barnhart has CLEARLY shown a knack for. Places he could be put in where he is a genuine asset to IndyCar. And the series has put him in the ONE position where he's known to do far more harm than good.

Excellent job, IndyCar. You finally give us awesome things to cheer for with the aero kits, then shoot yourselves in the foot with poor personnel placement.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3499096)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
On top of that, at one point during 2012, Randy Bernard forced ABC to let Barnhart direct the race broadcast and the result was the best coverage ABC had given us in almost ten years. Subsequently ABC finally started straightening out their problems after the resulting positive feedback.
I had not known that. Which race was it that he directed the TV coverage? Thanks for letting me know. I'd like to re-watch it to see for myself.

I shall give TGBB the benefit of doubt for his new (reprised) role at the top of race control because he already had a comeback of sorts in that role at the Toronto double-header in one of the past 2 years and wasn't noticed - so he must have done an OK job.

However, the new aero kits are introduced this season, and some kind of parity between them is the goal for the series. And that requires some smart officiating. Does that ball now lie in Barnhart's corner or rather in Walker's? It's of utmost importance to the safety of this sport that pack racing shall not return, so the aero specifications for ovals must be developed individually for each track. And officiating those was one of the strengths of Beaux Barfield. That's now the watermark for his successor.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3499102)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I had not known that. Which race was it that he directed the TV coverage? Thanks for letting me know. I'd like to re-watch it to see for myself.

I shall give TGBB the benefit of doubt for his new (reprised) role at the top of race control because he already had a comeback of sorts in that role at the Toronto double-header in one of the past 2 years and wasn't noticed - so he must have done an OK job.

However, the new aero kits are introduced this season, and some kind of parity between them is the goal for the series. And that requires some smart officiating. Does that ball now lie in Barnhart's corner or rather in Walker's? It's of utmost importance to the safety of this sport that pack racing shall not return, so the aero specifications for ovals must be developed individually for each track. And officiating those was one of the strengths of Beaux Barfield. That's now the watermark for his successor.
Regarding the aero-kits, I would have thought this would come under Derrick Walker's auspices, as he is the president of competition and operations for IndyCar.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3499238)   #14
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
I BELIEVE it was Mid-Ohio, but I'm not 100% certain. I only learned of this about well after the fact in one of Robin Miller's mailbags - I don't think it was even mentioned until the offseason.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 20:50 (Ref:3499255)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
I BELIEVE it was Mid-Ohio, but I'm not 100% certain. I only learned of this about well after the fact in one of Robin Miller's mailbags - I don't think it was even mentioned until the offseason.
Thank you. I did a quick websearch and found an apparently dead link to a Marshall Pruett article that said it was the race at Barber Motorsports Park in 2012.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3499265)   #16
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Thank you. I did a quick websearch and found an apparently dead link to a Marshall Pruett article that said it was the race at Barber Motorsports Park in 2012.
The 2012 Barber race was on NBCSN - they weren't in need of any boosts to their coverage quality. One thing I recall clearly is that it was for the ABC broadcast.
Old 1 Feb 2015, 11:44 (Ref:3499703)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three questions i'm interested in knowing now TGBB is 'back' (although its good in reading that he'll be part of the team making decisions, rather than the only one)

- Does the Indy pole sitter "earn the right to lead the first lap" again as he was quoted as saying in his previous reign, or can we race at the start of the Indy 500 still?

- Will the last thing the drivers hear before entering the track for Indy qualifying be "Give me 4 good ones" again?

- Is defending your line into a corner illegal again?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 01:33 (Ref:3500668)   #18
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes.. Helio getting screwed in Edmonton. Wet weather mayhem re-starts in New Hampshire. Complete lack of consistency in making correct calls during races. Wonderful!! It's all like a wonderfully nightmarish dream!! About as appealing as watching Augustus Gloop get sucked up the chocolate vacuum in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!!

The only difference is that the brown stuff will be coming out instead of getting sucked up, and it ain't gonna smell like no Wonka bar!!

WHAT THE FROCK IS GOING ON WITH THE POWERS THAT BE THAT RUN THIS SHIP!!! QUICK...FIRST MATE...ARRANGE THE DECK CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC, AND.. YOUNG MAN...GET ME SOME OF THE ICE FROM THAT ICEBERG WE JUST HIT TO PUT IN MY CHAMPAGNE!!

My head hurts...time to go to bed!!
Old 4 Feb 2015, 09:38 (Ref:3500758)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why cant Mr Penske just buy the IMS & the series, and do whatever he pleases with it??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Feb 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3500888)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Why cant Mr Penske just buy the IMS & the series, and do whatever he pleases with it??
He tried in the past on several occasions but the hulman georges wanted an outrageous price for the track. One sum years ago was $1 Billion. He's playing the long game letting the track fall in value and waiting for the family trust to gather enough votes to sell out and cash in.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3500890)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Copy/paste of my comment on Marshall Pruett's piece on this matter:
Pruett's piece on brian brainfart was essentially to the last two dozen fans out there, drink the kool aid and shut up, this guy is totally reformed and will lead us to a new era.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 05:07 (Ref:3503158)   #22
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
He tried in the past on several occasions but the hulman georges wanted an outrageous price for the track. One sum years ago was $1 Billion. He's playing the long game letting the track fall in value and waiting for the family trust to gather enough votes to sell out and cash in.
I don't think he can play the long game for much longer unfortunately. This actually brings up a completely off topic thought...a lot of famous team owners are getting up there in age.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3503308)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I don't think he can play the long game for much longer unfortunately. This actually brings up a completely off topic thought...a lot of famous team owners are getting up there in age.
Well he still seems pretty with it and he's got family to pass the business onto. I could see him living another 25 years easy. If anything he is speeding up rather than slowing down.

As I have said for years the answer lays with the hulman george trust and when old mari dies it will hit the fan. Apparently some people want cashed out and the speedway is the last big sizable asset they have.