Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 6 Feb 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3199929)   #26
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roden View Post
The 9v that has been in there all along.

The trouble is that the other road cars have these new fangled automatic headlights that switch on when the light is low and switch off when ignition is off. Looks like she/ we will have to re-learn old habits if we're going to use a 40 year old Mini.
I had an irate customer on the phone saying that since I had Mot'd his Volvo that he had to hold the dip switch in the flash position at night to get a full beam, so I went to his house to find that the main lighting switch was in the off (daylight run)position and worked perfectly when switched on.
He admitted that he had never even knew that it existed as he had never touched it from new, I had obviously left it off during the Mot test
It's a different world !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Feb 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3200398)   #27
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice shiny new 4 terminal solenoid arrived today.

I doesn't work....

Negative to mounting plate, Positive to ignition terminal, no healthy clunk, no continuity between the threaded terminals.

Trouble is I didn't test it until after I had fitted it to the car and found that the starter motor didn't work. All outdoors in the cold, near gales that we've got at the moment.

3 terminal solenoid & temporary switch now back in place and all working again.

Am I missing something else before I put the new solenoid back in the post?
Old 6 Feb 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3200427)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This is ridiculous !!! With a battery and a couple of leads put a neg - on the solenoid body and briefly touch a positive+ on the spade terminals, one of them should make it click if it doesn't then it's duff.
If one of the terminals makes it click then that is the one that connects to the wire from the starter switch, the other terminal connects to the positive + on the coil for the cold start along with the ballast 9v from the ignition switch.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Feb 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3200435)   #29
Chris Roden
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
This is ridiculous !!! With a battery and a couple of leads put a neg - on the solenoid body and briefly touch a positive+ on the spade terminals, one of them should make it click if it doesn't then it's duff.
If one of the terminals makes it click then that is the one that connects to the wire from the starter switch, the other terminal connects to the positive + on the coil for the cold start along with the ballast 9v from the ignition switch.

Exactly what I did...as in:

"Negative to mounting plate, Positive to ignition terminal, no healthy clunk, no continuity between the threaded terminals."

You are right....bloody ridiculous!

Looks like you'll find me queuing in the post office, parcelled up solenoid in hand, tomorrow. Just hope I don't get too held up by the old codgers collecting their pensions, this pensioner will be in a hurry.

Last edited by Chris Roden; 6 Feb 2013 at 23:33.
Old 7 Feb 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3200516)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Gordon, for goodness sake get yourself on a 'plane to Hampshire and sort this problem out once and for all.
I don't know about anyone else but this is doing my head in!
Old 7 Feb 2013, 08:46 (Ref:3200519)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I would willingly "walk" to Hampshire if Chris came to my place and sorted an automatic Renault ecu wiring problem for me
Really even my old man who is 99 years old could sort a simple car like a Mini with basic "old school" wiring in a few seconds, WTF is going on !!!!!!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3205532)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well !!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 Feb 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3206947)   #33
Chris Roden
Racer

Quote:
Well !!!!!!!!!!
No not really......

Mail order suppliers have replaced the duff new solenoid with another equally duff unit. I tested both and they failed, but doubting my ability I had them both tested by a local (old school) auto electrician.

In the meantime, the car is starting, and running, perfectly well with the temporary switch I fitted (famous last words!).

Trying a new supplier.....
Old 21 Feb 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3208564)   #34
Chris Roden
Racer

I don't suppose anyone is remotely intested but...

It seems that the only difference between 4 terminal & 3 terminal solenoids is that the extra terminal is connected to the starter terminal via a 3 amp rectifier. The rectifier prevents current flowing the wrong way when cranking the engine.

So, while sourcing a good 4 terminal solenoid, I've connected the starter terminal on my 3 terminal solenoid direct to the coil via a rectifier and it works fine, my temporary switch is now removed.

The rectifier is an IN5404 (Maplins code QL84F) and was horrifically expensive at 52p.